Klonopin Usage and Tapering

[sm...]

Hello everyone!

So I have been taking Klonopin for about 11 weeks 1 mg every day. I was using it to treat a balance disorder called MDDS as well as anxiety. It made me severely depressed so I asked my doctor to taper me off of it. She recommended a rapid tapering schedule with 25% cuts per week as follows:

8 days (0.75 mg) (Stage 1)

8 days (0.5 mg) (Stage 2)

10 days (0.25 mg) (Stage 3)

10 days (0.125) (Stage 4)

Given how long I was on it, does this tapering schedule look good? I certainly do not want to prolong the taper. So I started the tapering and am currently 9 days into stage 3 of tapering, I feel some mild anxiety and have trouble sleeping but nothing too bad. My only fear is that I will have a seizure or have withdrawals once I jump off, and since I live alone I have no one to watch over me.

Wow, you're already on stage 3, have you followed this plan to get here?  Some members report reductions catching up to them, they seem to accumulate at some point and they get hit with unpleasant symptoms, if it were me, I'd hold this dose for another week to see how you're doing.

Seizures are rare especially if you've tapered but post withdrawal symptoms aren't so that's why I'm suggesting a hold for now.  If you're good to go then you can probably continue as you have but if you do experience worsening symptoms then you can slow your taper down to hopefully minimize them.  If you reach .125 and you're symptomatic, I'd taper lower because you might as well use the drug to mitigate they symptoms because once you're off, you won't have this tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if I am not supposed to reply here, but I see your comments and you seem to have some knowledge. Was taking 2 mgs of Klonapin a week about four days apart for about three months. Past three weeks down to anywhere from 1/4 mg to 1/6 mg every 3 or 4 days. Am I creating more of a problem by assuming I need to hold this amount for a certain amount of time, or should I start making cuts or?

I will say that on about the fourth day I start to have some withdrawal symptoms. Any advice Is appreciated.

Sorry if I am not supposed to reply here, but I see your comments and you seem to have some knowledge. Was taking 2 mgs of Klonapin a week about four days apart for about three months. Past three weeks down to anywhere from 1/4 mg to 1/6 mg every 3 or 4 days. Am I creating more of a problem by assuming I need to hold this amount for a certain amount of time, or should I start making cuts or?

I will say that on about the fourth day I start to have some withdrawal symptoms. Any advice Is appreciated.

I see you started a thread with your questions, I'll respond there if I think I can help.

Hi Smiled, good to have you here. How are you getting on? Are you holding at 0.25? I hope your withdrawal symptoms are not too bad so far.

Hardy.