My big fat Trazodone mistake

[Gi...]

Hello buddies. I thought I'd share  my experience with trying Trazodone for my insomnia.  Trazodone is typically one of safest drugs out there for sleep and supposedly one of the easiest to discontinue.  I was on it about 30 years and had no problems getting off and my husband's taken it too and never had a problem quitting.  So I wasn't worried at all about taking it again.

But....last summer while tapering  xanax,  I developed insomnia.  I tried CBD oil and melatonin, neither of which worked for very long.  So I tried 25 mg of Trazodone and it worked pretty well but had to increase it to 75 mg. 

When I realized that it was causing bad heart palpitations to the point of seeing my cardiologist,  I decided to just stop taking it.    Big mistake!  By the next day I had full-on discontinuation syndrome with severe panic attacks and uncontrollable shaking.  I lost 4 lbs  in 2 days and thought I my brain would never recover.  I reinstated at half the dose (37 mg) and after about 3 weeks saw light at the end of the tunnel.  I slowly weaned off the rest and was back to baseline.

Long story short,  Trazodone must be weaned off of very gradually and I would rather deal with insomnia than with the side effects from these kinds of drugs.  At least with insomnia I know will eventually get so tired that I will sleep.     

[cd...]

I’m actually dealing with a trazodone situation right now. Tried cutting it in half and within hours, full blown discontinuation symptoms. I’m waiting to level out before I start tapering 10% a month.

I’ve been on it for almost a decade now.

Hi Betterfuture.  Sorry to hear that.  I'm guessing 10% will probably be fine.  Once I stabilized I found I could make a little bigger cuts with trazodone than with xanax.  Good luck!