Over a month into the taper now and going strong :)

[jd...]

This might not seem like a big deal but it's really encouraging for me.

At my peak, last year, I was on 4 mg a day of Xanax. My psychiatrist eventually dropped me down to 3 but I have been on that ever since. Overall, I have been taking prescribed xanax since March of 2020, so going on 2 years. Every day.

I wanted to get serious about getting off of it, as terrifying as it is. I can't bear the thought of having the level of panic attacks that would lead to months on end of extreme dp/dr and depression. But, even worse, would be f****** up my brain's chemistry by being on benzos for a long time.

I'm  happy to say that it has been over a month now and I am taking 2.5 mg a day rather than 3 with virtually no side effects. Once in a blue moon I have a day where I take 3 - but more often I've had days where I only take 2. Overall though, a very consistent 2.5.

Now, it helps I haven't had any serious triggering events in the meantime (e.g. prolonged travel, extreme stress at job, etc). But knowing I've been able to drop by 0.5 milligrams and feel next to no side effects besides perhaps a bit mroe anxiet during certain parts of the day is really encouraging for me. I'm not going to rush this process. In a few more months, I'll try to cut that back to 2.25, and so on.

I've only made one post here, that being my intro post, but just wanted to let ya'll know I've been working on it :).

Edit: Profanity

This might not seem like a big deal but it's really encouraging for me.

At my peak, last year, I was on 4 mg a day of Xanax. My psychiatrist eventually dropped me down to 3 but I have been on that ever since. Overall, I have been taking prescribed xanax since March of 2020, so going on 2 years. Every day.

I wanted to get serious about getting off of it, as terrifying as it is. I can't bear the thought of having the level of panic attacks that would lead to months on end of extreme dp/dr and depression. But, even worse, would be fucking up my brain's chemistry by being on benzos for a long time.

I'm  happy to say that it has been over a month now and I am taking 2.5 mg a day rather than 3 with virtually no side effects. Once in a blue moon I have a day where I take 3 - but more often I've had days where I only take 2. Overall though, a very consistent 2.5.

Now, it helps I haven't had any serious triggering events in the meantime (e.g. prolonged travel, extreme stress at job, etc). But knowing I've been able to drop by 0.5 milligrams and feel next to no side effects besides perhaps a bit mroe anxiet during certain parts of the day is really encouraging for me. I'm not going to rush this process. In a few more months, I'll try to cut that back to 2.25, and so on.

I've only made one post here, that being my intro post, but just wanted to let ya'll know I've been working on it :).

Good for you.  But please be careful going from 2.5 to 3 mg at times, that can actually cause you problems.  I was there before the taper and that  causing confusion in your CNS.

Wishing you the best.

Yeah, I wondered about this. While going to 3 mg a day usually happens only once or twice every 2 weeks, I’m not sure if it has been affecting me or not. The general anxiety seems to be there regardless, but it hasn’t been anything so bad that I ever feel I need to take more. That being said I would like 2.5 mg to become the maximum for me, to set a hard rule for myself there. I think I can do that.