Was anyone else forced to cold turkey?

[le...]

Just wondered  if anyone else was forced to CT against their will? I was stable and happy on zopiclone, when GP retired, new GP refused give me any more. Resulted in anxiety and intrusive thoughts, that just won’t go after 3 years Have wondered if would been different if I had tapered, whether being made to CT off drug I was happy on has caused the protracted symptoms. Only ever had insomnia no anxiety.  Be interested if anyone else wasn’t given a choice and had an unsympathetic, ignorant GP ?

I think GPs have been advised to stop precribing benzos and dont understand the implications. My GP would only prescribe me 7 or 14 every so often. My Mum gets them on repeat and has done for 20 years, shes 80 and only takes them now and again so she gave them to me, thats how I got hooked. At her age I dont think theyd stop them and risk her having withdrawels. I quit zop 6 weeks ago and am now trying to get off the temazepam but keep taking rescue doses sadly. I think GPs will soonstop prescribing benzos altogethersoon. Be glad you are off zopiclone it can get very nasty

If GP hadn’t retired would  stayed on them, then done proper taper avoided this nightmare.It depends whether you have a sympathetic GP or callous one like I had. I was lot better on them to be honest. It’s fact she ignored all the official guidelines, even complained recently, no one will admit she did the wrong thing. If I hadn’t had support of my husband wouldn’t still be here. They should be made to hold account of their actions and devastation this  can cause. They still hand out AD’s like  smarties though! Good luck with the taper

Bd

Thanks leann. I know what you mean about GPs they just dont seem to care anymore. Looking on the bright side , when the directive for them not to prescribe benzos anymore comes in force, which it will soon, you will have successfully quit by then. I think its all to do with saving NHS money really and nothing to do with peoples wellfare.

Sure I would if been OK had I been able to taper. It is since they became class C drug few years ago attitudes changed. Before just got them on repeat. Do wonder if same will happen will happen with AD’s in future as millions on them. Good luck anyway hope you soon improve.

I think they're already on the cards. GPs will be told to be very selective as who to give what drugs to in future. Sad that most things in this life are about money these days

Just read your blog sleepy jo, have you tried going back to GP about the severe abdominal pain, if it keeps you awake. Just in case it’s something else apart from withdrawal. Maybe worth checking out, as they are doing scans and things now. Just rule anything else out?

• 2 weeks later...
I was given Xanax for 6 years by a psychiatrist for panic attacks, when I told her I didn't want to take them anymore, she said to just stop.  She told me I would have no problems even though I was taking it daily at that point. I didn't renew the prescription at that time, I still had a couple refills left, but was moving out of state.  By the time I ran out I was living in a new state and no GP would prescribe them (very small town).  I tried to call my old doctor for advice when I started having withdrawals, but she wouldn't speak to me without an appointment and I was 1,000 miles away.  I still have some choice words for that so called doctor and this happened to me over 6 years ago!

Hey,

I have a very similar story.. my nurse practitioner suddenly decided it was time to switch me from benzos to other medications and she refused to give me more so I can taper which is what I wanted.

I am now exactly 91 days off and still suffering on a daily basis with intense intrusive thoughts, head pressure, wiryness, fear etc

I really don’t know how I make it on any given day.

I wish I didn’t have to cold Turkey … I constantly think about how things would be different had I tapered and when I log on to benzo buddy, I am envious of all the people who had the chance to taper.

They are both difficult but from what I hear , tapering is the easiest of the two.

Hang on, have faith and it will get better. It is all about time. In time we will heal and no longer be bothered by these intrusive thoughts. They are not us, nor will we ever act on any of them. We have a brain injury and quite frankly but our body and brain through a tremendous shock so it’s not all that surprising to know that there would be consequences.

I am here to help and talk as I also need someone who can relate.

Best, Cat

[0a...]
I was put on mine after major surgery by my gyno. He had no business prescribing it but I took it. 6 months after I finally healed from the surgery he just said okay you don’t need meds anymore. I said okay and left. My withdrawal didn’t kick in for weeks bc it was Valium. Or at least noticeable symptoms. Had no idea what was going on when it hit me and by the time my PCP and I could figure out what was happening it was too late to reinstate. I tried and I was worse. Wish I had never taken them to begin with. I’m at year 3 with protracted symptoms.