Not sure if I’m in withdrawal or if what I’m experiencing is benzo related

[Vi...]

Hi,

Brief history:

I took Clonazepam for a little over a year to help deal with onset of severe tinnitus, noxacusis and sleep issues. I didn’t really have any issues while on it at the time. Some flashes of light when my eyes were closed and maybe some increased depression.

Tapered off over about four months. Relatively uneventful taper. Some increased tinnitus days periodically, some sleepless nights and some increased insomnia.

————

About 8 months later I experienced a worsening of my noxacusis that has driven me into hearing protection 24/7. My habituation to my tinnitus has been effected because now it’s all I hear vs it normally being mixed with environmental noise. I can’t mask due to sound sensitivity.

So since November I’ve been taking some of my leftover Clonazepam. In 4-5 months I’ve taken a total of 10 or less 1mg doses. A couple times two days back to back, but mostly several days or weeks apart.

I am going through a very traumatic experience so wondering if the benzo is causing my current issues. I developed a couple new tinnitus tones. I’m having an internal tremor. I see no shaking but my body and legs feel like they vibrate. When I took the last couple doses of Clonazepam I had warm tingly feet sensation. Also, it used to make me sleep pretty much a full 8 hrs. Now when I’ve taken it I sleep about 4-5 hours and wake up with a startle. I’ve had a few nightmares too.

Since I was off of it so long, had a relatively uneventful taper and no real withdrawal issues last time, would you think it is likely this is kindling or something from these periodic doses?

I don’t drink alcohol or take any other medications. I was previously only taking melatonin to sleep. In case this makes any different in your assessment of the situation.

Oh by the traumatic experience I’m referring to my noxacusis setback and wondering if it is creating my issues or if it’s the benzo. Just wanted to clarify that. Sorry

But if Clonazepam is contributing then I’d definitely like to know your opinions. It’s helped me in the past, but now I’m not so sure

I suspect the Clonazepam, I know you haven't used it much but these symptoms are typical, I'd stay away from the Clonazepam for awhile to see if they go away.  Its very common to experience worse symptoms when going through another withdrawal but it looks like you've reached tolerance to the drug in a very short time with a very small amount. 

I hate that benzo's can help with tinnitus until they hurt.

If it were me, I would think yes! Even though you had a relatively easy withdrawal when you went off, I would count that as dodging a bullet!  When you throw in doses here and there it would be helpful in the long run for your ears. I would stay off any benzos period and see if it goes away (could take a really long time to go away too)

But especially since you said it is already not working as good as it used to, that's sounds like a tolerance sign, and oh man, I would stay AWAY if it were me!

Best of luck!

I had the "noises hurt" my ears for about 4 months, but my tinnitus is still going past 2 years, however it is SUCH a low level that it doesn't bother me