Xanax - Last Pill, When Should I Jump?

[Gi...]

Hello Buddies.  I’m down to my last .125  dose at night. I’ve successfully dry cut and want to continue with this method.  I use a jewel scale and a razor.

I’m thinking about starting the last leg of this by cutting it by 1/4 and after adjusting  just scratching off a couple nicks at a time. 

What would you suggest would be a good jumping point?  ::)

Thank you in advance. 

How has it been going lately, have your symptoms increased as you've gotten lower in dose?  Have they been manageable?

Pamster,  It’s going well thanks.  I took a several month break when I was down to 2 doses - .125 morning and evening.  I think the long break was good as it gave my system a chance to really adjust.  A month ago I started weaning off the morning dose and I’m on day 3 of not taking the am dose.  A bit sketchy - some muscle tension and what not at first - plus a few dizzy spells but overall not too bad.  I’ll plan to start weaning the last pill in a couple weeks if things go well and I feel stable.

Hi Gitfiddle-51 I am right behind you! im at .125 2x daily and was planning to drop down again Tuesday but your words about giving the system a chance to adjust resonates with me, although it feels like Im going to be okay. You are doing great - your symptoms sound mild-very encouraging. I wish you much luck in the weeks ahead for an easy jump.

I'll share my experience with you.  I tapered from clonazepam 3mg/day total dose to 0.25mg.  I tried jumping at the 0.25mg and failed.  I think anxiety about jumping from that dose was part of the problem because I didn't feel confident I had gone low enough.  I reinstated and tapered to 0.01mg, jumped from there, and did fine.  I think for me one of the ingredients for jumping was feeling reasonably confident that I had tapered far enough for me.

Hi Gitfiddle-51 I am right behind you! im at .125 2x daily and was planning to drop down again Tuesday but your words about giving the system a chance to adjust resonates with me, although it feels like Im going to be okay. You are doing great - your symptoms sound mild-very encouraging. I wish you much luck in the weeks ahead for an easy jump.

Thanks BMC.  I'm holding good thoughts for you too!  please keep me posted!  :)

I'll share my experience with you.  I tapered from clonazepam 3mg/day total dose to 0.25mg.  I tried jumping at the 0.25mg and failed.  I think anxiety about jumping from that dose was part of the problem because I didn't feel confident I had gone low enough.  I reinstated and tapered to 0.01mg, jumped from there, and did fine.  I think for me one of the ingredients for jumping was feeling reasonably confident that I had tapered far enough for me.

Thank you Kate08.  That's good advice.  I think I'll keep scratching slowly away at it till I hardly notice it's gone. :)

• 1 month later...

Just updating my progress.  I'm now down to .0625 at night and plan to to halve it to .03 next week if I'm doing okay.  After that  I'll probably hold it for a few days and then start shaving off bits each night till it's dust.

This week has been extra challenging because I found out I've been totally over medicated on my thyroid meds for more than 6 years.  That has been hugely contributed to my anxiety!  As soon as I cut back on my Cytomel I started feeling calmer which sure helps with this last leg of my taper.  But,  I'm also weaning off my estrogen - so all those hormone changes along with the xanax taper have been pretty interesting.  :idiot:

BMC - How are you doing?

No doubt you feel better with the reduced thyroid med dose - I am so glad someone recognized this and corrected it!  I've been hypothyroid and hyperthyroid and neither feels good.  You seem to be managing your taper well Gitfiddle51, paying attention to your symptoms and life events and making adjustments when necessary.  Good job.  :thumbsup:

Gitfiddle, I am right there with you. This is my last week Im going to jump May 1 (reserving the right to change my mind as the event draws near)  I have no idea what my dose is - a wet pinky finger picking up powder Ive shave off all the previous weeks.

I can see how your other meds can add to the stress! Im really glad its getting sorted out. Im pulling for ya, girl! xo

I have no idea what my dose is - a wet pinky finger picking up powder Ive shave off all the previous weeks.

😆 Congratulations BMC!. I can’t believe how fast you tapered. You’re a rockstar!  I’m getting impatient with moving at a snails pace and you’ve inspired me  to speed this up a bit. I’m so  ready to be done with it. Please keep me posted how you’re doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martineka, My symptoms were probably a little worse when I first started my taper.  Fatigue, anxiety bordering on panic,  irritability, minor dizzy spells,  insomnia, feeling edgy-jumpy. Symptoms were worse the first few days after each cut and settled down after a week or so. 

My situation was unique though because I didn’t know until the very end of my taper,  which was a month ago, that I’ve been highly overmedicated on my thyroid medication for the last 6 years.  As soon as I reduced my T meds my anxiety and tension eased up quite a bit.  Also, I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome so between that and being overmedicated it’s hard to know how many symptoms can be attributed to Xanax tolerance and withdrawal.

Sorry to hear about the overmedication on thyroid, I’ve taken thyroid medication and when it’s off, it is very similiar to withdrawals.  I’m glad you caught it as I’m well aware how important it is to have your thyroid balanced.  I’m trying to following your tapering chart, thanks for the response.

Hi Gitfiddle and BMC,

How were your symptoms as you were tapering?

Congratulations to you both!

Hi Martineka!

I jumped 3 days ago and I am doing very well. My taper symptoms were mostly tinnitus, some insomnia - not every night, restless leg syndrome (the most annoying TBH) mild paranoia and an odd kind of hallucination - like mistaking a thing for something else. During my taper, I would drop down to a level of anxiety I could tolerate. I would have a little difficulty in focusing but it was not keeping me from doing basic life. Once I didnt notice those things Id drop again. I loosely followed the 45 day Benzo taper because I felt that for me, Ashton was too long; I dry cut, never used liquid tritiation. My last doses were literally a wet pinky finger of powder I had shaved in the weeks previous. also - at the end I didnt have a dosing schedule. I would take the tiniest amount when I felt like I needed it to prevent a full blown anxiety attack. I stayed in that place about a week. Thats how I knew to jump. I just didnt need it.

One thing I think really helped in taper. I was very physically active. I would hake 5-7 miles almost every day and hard ones too. Lots of climbing, jumping on rocks and logs to cross creeks, etc.  At the beginning my legs felt weird (they call it jelly legs) but its a sensation not a reality and once I figured that out I just kept going and it went away.

YOU CAN DO THIS

I was terrified at the beginning.

I know it could get weird ahead as recovery is non linear but I think its going to be okay.

good luck, friend.

BMC, a massive congrats to you on your jump!  All the best to you - well done!!    :thumbsup:

Thank you! I could never thank you and Pamster enough. At the darkest moment, you answered the call. I will never forget that.  :)

BMC.  Congratulations 🎈🎉🎊🍾!  That is awesome!  I’m so glad you’re healthy and can go hiking everyday!  Yay! I’m two weeks post jump now and doing great.  I have some insomnia but that’s pretty normal for my age.  I also weaned off my estrogen patch last Sunday- I’d been on that for 17 years.  Aside from a few hot flashes I haven’t really noticed a change. So no more Xanax or estrogen. Yay!! I hope you’ll check back in periodically to let us know how you’re doing!  :smitten:

BMC, a massive congrats to you on your jump!  All the best to you - well done!!    :thumbsup:

Thank you! I could never thank you and Pamster enough. At the darkest moment, you answered the call. I will never forget that.  :)

You've done an amazing job BMC, your positive attitude has carried you through this, not to mention your determination to keep moving, your hikes sound brutal but like such good medicine.  :thumbsup:

BMC.  Congratulations 🎈🎉🎊🍾!  That is awesome!  I’m so glad you’re healthy and can go hiking everyday!  Yay! I’m two weeks post jump now and doing great.  I have some insomnia but that’s pretty normal for my age.  I also weaned off my estrogen patch last Sunday- I’d been on that for 17 years.  Aside from a few hot flashes I haven’t really noticed a change. So no more Xanax or estrogen. Yay!! I hope you’ll check back in periodically to let us know how you’re doing!  :smitten:

Thank you! I feel like we are like those stars that are bound together...it was nice to know you were a little ahead on the timeline and doing so great it really helped me feel ready. So glad you figured out the estrogen needed to go too. How is your husband doing?

Hiking was an integral part of my life before I abused Xanax - i have big dogs that MUST get big exercise in, AND i live next (literally) to a wilderness area with a massive network of trails. It was always going to be a part of daily life. Boy, though, back in January with jelly legs on ice and snow and being paranoid.....and yet, the crystalline bare trees and whispering evergreens, crisp air all conspired to heal me. Be well always, my friend. Have a great weekend.

You've done an amazing job BMC, your positive attitude has carried you through this, not to mention your determination to keep moving, your hikes sound brutal but like such good medicine.  :thumbsup:

Pamster, God love you. Thank you. I truly believe big physical movement calms frayed nerves, the pent up fear and anxiety. and unlike being in a gym or organized exercise - I was alone in nature. no one could see me. I could cry. I could be insecure.

Have a beautiful weekend my friend!

Thank you! I feel like we are like those stars that are bound together...it was nice to know you were a little ahead on the timeline and doing so great it really helped me feel ready. So glad you figured out the estrogen needed to go too. How is your husband doing?

Hiking was an integral part of my life before I abused Xanax - i have big dogs that MUST get big exercise in, AND i live next (literally) to a wilderness area with a massive network of trails. It was always going to be a part of daily life. Boy, though, back in January with jelly legs on ice and snow and being paranoid.....and yet, the crystalline bare trees and whispering evergreens, crisp air all conspired to heal me. Be well always, my friend. Have a great weekend.

:smitten: Hubby’s doing amazing!  He’s back to running and feeling better than he has in years! Those stents are something!  Thanks for asking :)

It’s so cool you have wonderful wilderness areas close by.  We are blessed that way too. . We’re at the base of the Sierra so we’ve got both alpine and desert wilderness areas.  I’ve got Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and even though short walks are impossible,  just living in an area with blue skies and outstanding natural beauty is very healing. ❤️

Best wishes to you BMC .