Neurontin (Gabapentin Question) Post Taper

[in...]

I finally tapered off Valium about 3 months ago but I still don’t feel stable and have a lot of physical anxiety symptoms like muscle cramping and paresthesias that create muscle symptoms that really bother me to the point of tears.  To be fair,  I have been going through a lot of job stress for many years and mire recently my 87 year old mom’s colon cancer. I am 65 and will hopefully be retired in a month or two so hope and truly believe  this will help!

However,  I tried one 100mg Gabapentin 2 days ago and after the dizziness wore off in 17 hours I felt great  for about a day…like I was totally well.  It was such a relief!  I know Neurontin can have a withdrawal issue too so I’m cautious.  Is it as bad as benzodiazepines?

I wonder if I could either take a low dose like 100mg a night or will I just get tolerant and have to escalate?  Or I considered just alternating using it every other day to reduce tolerance?  I am mostly looking for some temporary relief until I am fully retired in a month or two and with greatly reduced  stress I expect to heal faster and am more free to distract with exercise and travel.  I find that when I can take a short vacation that my symptoms really get so much better so I know my job is really aggravating my Generalized Anxiety Disorder and makes me so much sicker.

I would love to hear from others who might have used Neurontin as a mono therapy for severe anxiety disorder or to help with withdrawal symptoms.  After an extremely slow (2.5year) Valium taper and having been clean for 3 months I am inclined to think I am just suffering from my GAD ( Generalized Anxiety Disorder) rather than protracted Benzo withdrawal.    ;)

Investartist

Nobody can answer whether or not to take what you need to survive.  If you feel you need it for relief then so be it.  There is a thread dedicated to gabapentin under other medications.  search for it and others who have taken it will respond.  You seem like you know what is right for you.  Each person has different reaction to everything.  Don’t get too caught up in other stories. If you decide to take it you can taper slowly at your pace once your sx have faded.  And they will!  Peace and prayers

U

I hope this is the right area to post this question?

I finally tapered off Valium about 3 months ago but I still don’t feel stable and have a lot of physical anxiety symptoms like muscle cramping and paresthesias that create muscle symptoms that really bother me to the point of tears.  To be fair,  I have been going through a lot of job stress for many years and more recently my 87 year old mom’s colon cancer. I am 65 and will hopefully be retired in a month or two so hope and truly believe  this will help!

However,  I tried one 100mg Gabapentin 2 days ago and after the dizziness wore off in 17 hours I felt great  for about a day…like I was totally well.  It was such a relief!  I know Neurontin can have a withdrawal issue too so I’m cautious.  Is it as bad as benzodiazepines?

I wonder if I could either take a low dose like 100mg a night or will I just get tolerant and have to escalate?  Or I considered just alternating using it every other day to reduce tolerance?  I am mostly looking for some temporary relief until I am fully retired in a month or two and with greatly reduced  stress I expect to heal faster and am more free to distract with exercise and travel.  I find that when I can take a short vacation that my symptoms really get so much better so I know my job is really aggravating my Generalized Anxiety Disorder and makes me so much sicker.

I would love to hear from others who might have used Neurontin as a mono therapy for severe anxiety disorder or to help with withdrawal symptoms.  After an extremely slow (2.5year) Valium taper and having been clean for 3 months I am inclined to think I am just suffering from my GAD ( Generalized Anxiety Disorder) rather than protracted Benzo withdrawal.   

I am in the gabapentin support group . Last October I got put on gabapentin and I regret it so much. If could do it over again I would not have taken it.

Hope you find some good answer so that you can make a good choice :)

I tried to take Neurontin twice in the last weekend and the dizziness and spaciness were horrible for about 16 hours following just 100mg.  I will not try it again!