Study, Nov/21: Benzodiazepine and Z-drug use and the risk of developing dementia

[La...]

The full title of this Spanish study is "Benzodiazepine and Z-drug use and the risk of developing dementia".

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34727174/

Abstract

Background: Benzodiazepines and Z-drugs (BZDRs) are among the most prescribed medications for anxiety and insomnia, especially among older adults. Our objective was to investigate the association between the use of BZDRs and the risk of dementia.

Methods: A community-based retrospective cohort study was conducted based on the data available from 2002 to 2015 in Catalan Health Service (CatSalut). This cohort included all BZDR users (N=83,138) and nonusers (N=84,652) older than 45 years old. A minimum 5-year lag window and an adjustment for psychiatric problems were applied for the data analysis.

Results: The hazard ratio (HR) for the risk of incident dementia among BZDR users was 1.22 (95% CI 1.15-1.31). This risk was not significant after adjusting the data confounding factors (HR 1.01; 95% CI 0.94-1.08). We observed a higher risk with short-to-intermediate half-life BZDs (HR 1.11; 95% CI 1.04-1.20) and Z-drugs (HR 1.20; 95% CI 1.07-1.33) than for intermediate-to-long half-life BZDs (HR 1.01; 95% CI 0.94-1.08). We demonstrated a higher risk of incident dementia (HR 1.23; 95% CI 1.07-1.41 and OR 1.38; 95% CI 1.27-1.50, respectively) in patients who received 91-180 DDD and > 180 DDD compared to patients who received < 90 DDD. Regarding patient sex, the risk of dementia was higher in women than in men.

Conclusion: We found that the incidence of dementia was not higher among all BZDR users. Short half-life BZDs and Z-drugs increased the risk of dementia at the highest doses, especially in female patients, showing a dose-response relationship.

There are quite a few studies dating back decades that show an association between benzo use and dementia.  I have diagnosed Memory Impairment and Amnesia and I know it was caused by the benzo's and Z-drugs I took.  I can barely understand anything anymore.

There are quite a few studies dating back decades that show an association between benzo use and dementia.  I have diagnosed Memory Impairment and Amnesia and I know it was caused by the benzo's and Z-drugs I took.  I can barely understand anything anymore.

Hi Becks,

I didn't comment above, but it is indeed true that there have been many, many studies on this potential link between benzos and dementia over the last few years. Clearly, there's no definitive answer at this point. Some studies say yes, while others say no. It's best to see this study as what it is -- one study among many. I'm sure there will be more to come.

The other thing to keep in mind is that memory issues are a known potential side effect of benzodiazepines. It's in all of the medical literature.

I know for certain that my benzo and Z-drug use caused my memory problems.  I could feel my mind going the longer I was on them and now I'm screwed.  I have early onset dementia and it's going to eventually kill me. 

I was on short life benzos for 20 plus yrs.

A 1/4 tab, my gosh I wish that's all.

Try 3 mg a day

Will I develope dementia? I think other factors work into it also.

What are the tests for dementia? I can't just have a Dr look at me and say I have it.

Parkinson's disease is in my family. Also Crohn's.

I had memory testing done in 2013 and it showed cognitive deficits and helped qualify me for SSDI.  That's how they diagnosed dementia many times with memory testing and other tests like those.

Hi Becksblue, 

I'm sorry you are having memory problems.  Benzos are just awful.  Have you heard of the Bredesen Protocol for cognitive impairment and other issues?  Dr. Dale Bredesen is an expert on neurodegenerative diseases and his program has helped people with these issues do better.  In his books, he talks about the many issues like, insulin resistance, infections, toxins, etc that contribute to cognitive problems. He includes a short paragraph on benzos, too.

"Benzodiazepines taken for three to six months raise the risk of developing Alzheimer's by 32 percent. And taking them for more than six months boosts the risk by 84 percent.  Using benzodiazepines for longer than a year can result in cognitive impairment that can continue beyond cessation of the medication for up to 3.5 years..."

I don't know if his protocol can address cognitive impairment from benzos.  It would be very good to know if it does.

BurnedOut, thanks for your information, but my dementia is so bad now that I cannot understand much of anything anymore.  Everything I do or try to understand now makes me cry and I just walk away from it all.  I'm so screwed.