how long can we go without sleep

[sl...]

The longest I went was 5 nights/days in a row after my CT, then several 4 nights in a row and a lot of 3 nights in a row without any perceived sleep the first 9-10 months after my CT.  I think I had around 70 zero nights the first 9 months off and went a few months where I only averaged 5-10 hours of sleep per week.

I know MTFan told me she went an entire month (31 days) with only 2 or 3 perceived short sleep events and EastCoast was the same way sleeping very little for weeks at a time.

Siggy and Alohafromhawaii also had pretty severe insomnia.  Everyone I mentioned recovered, myself included.

Microsleep, or sleep you are unaware of sustains you through those long stretches of little or no sleep.

Insomnia is the worst WD symptom, IMO.  You'll get an exhaustion sleep when your body wants you to sleep.

I'd read this post:  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=235100.0

GI issues are pretty common with Benzos as they down regulate GABA receptors and you have GABA receptors throughout your body with the most in your brain and the second most in your GI tract.  I had a lot of GI issues from being on Benzos...they all went away.  I'd avoid an PPIs (Proton Pump Inhibitors) and try something natural.  I've used Apple Cider Vinegar capsules (not the liquid) for years to treat acid reflux and it works great for me.  Have you seen a gastroenterologist?

Yes, Im aware of the effects on GABA. I dont get acid, I have constant intestinal pain which keeps me awake at night and no pain killers work. Im assuming its my GABA receptors being over sensitised and not functioning correctly now that I have stooped the pills

Have you considered or tried CBD oil or Delta 8 oil?  You might want to look up the Exodus Effect...it's a mixture of CBD, cinnamon, myrrh, olive oil, acacia and calamus.  Mixed in the right proportions, it is claimed to have great healing and pain relief abilities?

• 4 weeks later...
I went three months without any perceived sleep... maybe a couple hours here and there but I mostly felt like I had no sleep at all. I was running off of sheer adrenaline. I had non-stop panic and night terrors every night. I was reliving emotions from childhood trauma, something that happened when I was only three. A combination of factors, including menopause, triggered it and kept me from sleeping (I found out later progesterone is needed for sleep). That was why my doctors put me on Clonazepam and Ambien in the first place. I finally was able to sleep! After five days I went off of Ambien. I was finally sleeping and didn't think I'd need it, and I didn't. But I wish I had known about the dangers of long term use of Clonazepam or I would've stopped that right away too, immediately after the panic cycle had halted. During my time on Clonazepam, I started HRT which has helped manage my moods. I recently got off of Clonazepam in January but my PTSD was recently retriggered and I've had to up my HRT. For the last few weeks sleep has been elusive, but I started yoga meditation a couple days ago and was finally able to rest and sleep an hour here and there. I was also able to sleep a bit this morning.

• 1 month later...

I read that book "The Insomnia Siaries" and the woman says she basically did not sleep for a decade.

Whether true or not, impossible or not, the book does have a good explanation about how complicated sleep is as far as the brain mechanisms involved.

It isn't simply GABA and GABA receptors which I found comforting. Well researched part of the book.

When I cold turkeyed I went 7 days before I caved and took something. I felt like I was losing my mind. I couldn’t go another minute being awake. I’ve gone over 3 years now with less that 20 hrs a week and many many zero nights. You aren’t alone sleepy jo. It sucks but trying to ignore it and move thru ur day helps. It’s not easy, but once u get to that place it becomes more manageable

Zopiclone. I cold turkeyed 3 or 4 times before I understood what was going on. I am a year off, my sleep is still pretty bad but it’s better than it was. I take melatonin and unisom some nights but nothing else.

How on earth do you deal with that Shayna. I was averaging 20 hours per week for almost 6 months and thought I would lose my mind. I’ve started taking 150mg of seroquel about 5 days ago and have now been getting 6 to 8 hours a night. I don’t like being on another drug and tried so hard to go drug free but just couldn’t do it anymore. I do think 150 is to high (doc prescribed 300) so I’m going to try and reduce it some to see what the lowest dose I can still sleep on. I tip my hat to you for going 3 years like this.

Well it certainly isn’t easy. Yesterday I went to gym then did laps for an hour. Had a busy day running around after my family, then got 2.45 hrs sleep. I hate it, I wish it would end, but it is what it is. I would honestly rather die than take anything else. No judgment to you X-ray, u do u, if u knew my background and what I’ve been thru u would understand my stance. But I absolutely understand the pain of being under-slept, and the desperation it causes. I think I’m just in a place of acceptance now. It took a very long time to get here and it doesn’t mean I’m happy about it, it just means my attitude is more like “oh well this is how it is”. Do I believe it will end? Hmmmm not always.

In terms of sanity, I feel completely sane. Much more sane than when I was getting 5-6 hrs on all the shit the drs had me on. I am a pretty funny person, I love a laugh and I’m fairly quick witted. I lost all that when I was sick. It’s all come back now. So I think it’s perspective sometimes too.

Anyway it’s pitch black here and I’m getting ready for another busy day.

It is what it is x

What doesn’t kill us definitely makes us stronger  :boxer: