Author Topic: how long can we go without sleep  (Read 831 times)

[Buddie]

how long can we go without sleep
« on: February 28, 2022, 09:57:44 am »
Just wondering whats the longest anybody has gone without sleep?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: how long can we go without sleep
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 08:39:54 pm »
The longest I went was 5 nights/days in a row after my CT, then several 4 nights in a row and a lot of 3 nights in a row without any perceived sleep the first 9-10 months after my CT.  I think I had around 70 zero nights the first 9 months off and went a few months where I only averaged 5-10 hours of sleep per week.

I know MTFan told me she went an entire month (31 days) with only 2 or 3 perceived short sleep events and EastCoast was the same way sleeping very little for weeks at a time.
Siggy and Alohafromhawaii also had pretty severe insomnia.  Everyone I mentioned recovered, myself included.

Microsleep, or sleep you are unaware of sustains you through those long stretches of little or no sleep.

Insomnia is the worst WD symptom, IMO.  You'll get an exhaustion sleep when your body wants you to sleep.

I'd read this post:  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=235100.0

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 09:34:38 am »
Thanks . Problem for me is severe GI pain keeps me from sleeping, otherwise I think I could sleep

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 01:07:11 pm »
GI issues are pretty common with Benzos as they down regulate GABA receptors and you have GABA receptors throughout your body with the most in your brain and the second most in your GI tract.  I had a lot of GI issues from being on Benzos...they all went away.  I'd avoid an PPIs (Proton Pump Inhibitors) and try something natural.  I've used Apple Cider Vinegar capsules (not the liquid) for years to treat acid reflux and it works great for me.  Have you seen a gastroenterologist?

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 08:17:29 pm »
Yes, Im aware of the effects on GABA. I dont get acid, I have constant intestinal pain which keeps me awake at night and no pain killers work. Im assuming its my GABA receptors being over sensitised and not functioning correctly now that I have stooped the pills

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 12:59:35 pm »
Have you considered or tried CBD oil or Delta 8 oil?  You might want to look up the Exodus Effect...it's a mixture of CBD, cinnamon, myrrh, olive oil, acacia and calamus.  Mixed in the right proportions, it is claimed to have great healing and pain relief abilities?

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 08:47:51 am »
Thanks for the suggetions. Yes Ive tried a good quality cbd oil, does have any affect.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2022, 07:06:59 pm »
I went three months without any perceived sleep... maybe a couple hours here and there but I mostly felt like I had no sleep at all. I was running off of sheer adrenaline. I had non-stop panic and night terrors every night. I was reliving emotions from childhood trauma, something that happened when I was only three. A combination of factors, including menopause, triggered it and kept me from sleeping (I found out later progesterone is needed for sleep). That was why my doctors put me on Clonazepam and Ambien in the first place. I finally was able to sleep! After five days I went off of Ambien. I was finally sleeping and didn't think I'd need it, and I didn't. But I wish I had known about the dangers of long term use of Clonazepam or I would've stopped that right away too, immediately after the panic cycle had halted. During my time on Clonazepam, I started HRT which has helped manage my moods. I recently got off of Clonazepam in January but my PTSD was recently retriggered and I've had to up my HRT. For the last few weeks sleep has been elusive, but I started yoga meditation a couple days ago and was finally able to rest and sleep an hour here and there. I was also able to sleep a bit this morning.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 06:16:25 pm »
I read that book "The Insomnia Siaries" and the woman says she basically did not sleep for a decade.
Whether true or not, impossible or not, the book does have a good explanation about how complicated sleep is as far as the brain mechanisms involved.
It isn't simply GABA and GABA receptors which I found comforting. Well researched part of the book.

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2022, 06:17:06 pm »
Diaries* 👆