Is fioricet a bad idea? Barbiturate

[Mi...]

Help! I'm safely off benzos but I'm so kindled that even if I take xanax once I withdraw, after all of the withdrawals and seizures that I went through. I've been suffering with headaches up to 20 times a month and the doctor just prescribed me fioricet which I did not know what a barbiturate and Central nervous system suppressant it also affects GABA. Should I just avoid this medication completely? Not sure what to do.....

Hey Michellelc23, its good to see you again and congratulations on being benzo free, that's great!  I'm sorry to hear about your headaches, can you tell us a little more about your situation, how long have you been benzo free? 

Are you worried about the addiction aspect of the Fioricet as well as the effects on your central nervous system?  Have you tried other remedies?

barbiturates are dangerous like benzos, sometimes even more,  have you tried other drugs? low dose naltrexone , im aware that microdosing psycobilin is a good aproach for cluster migranes..

Yes,  I am worried about the central nervous system effects. I've been free from benzos for the last year except for 1 time last week I took .75 mgs of xanax and had withdrawal for 6 days after that one time use.... so I flushed them.  My central nervous system is so messed up.  What do you think about the fioricet and do you think I'll react badly? I've tried so many things for the headaches, I have up to 20 a month.  The doctor told me that they are tension headaches not migraines and I agree.  I know based off how they feel and their location that they are not migraines.  I've tried chiropractors, 3 different mattress toppers, 8 different styles of pillows ( found what works best) , trigger point injections in my trapezius muscles,  massage.... it is not a muscle or skeletal issue and the xray and other tests confirmed that.  It is a tension headache, that's just how I carry my stress,  even though I don't feel extremely stressed,  I've just always had some anxiety ( mild). So you think that the fioricet will mess my now sensitive central nervous system up? I will only be taking it as a last resort. 

Have you tried anti-inflammatories?  If they are tension headaches, then a daily therapeutic dose of an anti-inflammatory like naproxen might break the cycle.

As Deniz said above, barbiturates are a very bad idea for someone that is trying to withdraw from benzos.  They are - like benzos positive allosteric modulators of GABA receptors, becoming outright agonists at higher doses. They have every downside of benzos and they have a lower therapeutic index (the difference between a therapeutic dose and a lethal dose is smaller).  They used to kill Hollywood stars on the regular back in the 1950s because of that last feature. They were almost entirely replaced by benzos which did more or less the same thing but didn't tend to outright kill people so frequently.

They will just continue the kindling that you've already unfortunately experienced from benzos.

Medical science has a horrible history of drugs that fiddle with GABA receptors. There have been three broad categories of these drugs since roughly the early 1900s - barbiturates, benzodiazepines, and z-drugs.  And there has been a remarkable repeating of history each time. Each subsequent drug is advertised as being completely free of the downsides, side effects, and tolerance of the prior drug. And each time that turns out not to be true. Benzos were advertised as having none of the issues associated with barbiturates. Not true. Z-drugs were advertised as having none of the issues of benzos. Also not true. When will they learn? You do the same damned thing to the same damned receptors and you're going to have the same damned problems. Honestly a reasonably bright child could figure this out.

We have been fiddling with people's GABA receptors for over one hundred years now, and ruining lives for that long. When will the madness stop?

Yes Nathan I agree..... will repeated use of alcohol so the same thing? Since I am kindled.

Unfortunately alcohol (i.e. ethanol) is also a positive allosteric modulator of GABA receptors just like benzos. It should be avoided if you are going to try to get free of these dreadful pills.

There's acetaminophen/paracetamol. It's worth a try. Some people try antihistamines (hydroxyzine, diphenhydramine - Benadryl) which give some people a little relief. Other than that there are some herbals like valerian, passion flower, lemon balm. These also tend to work on GABA receptors but they are much milder than prescription drugs and have less potential to kindle you further if not taken to excess.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I know it's bad. It's like everything that you're tempted to use to relieve your suffering is something that you probably shouldn't take.

Nathan you are so knowledgeable and I'm grateful for your input.  When will I be able to drink alcohol again normally? Or will I ever after kindled? Now if I only drink once I am sick with severe withdrawal for 6 days after the alcohol only.  I've been off of benzos for 1 year with only 1 slip of .75 mgs in that time only once. My central nervous system and gaba receptors are so messed up after repeated withdrawals. Will I ever be able to drink again without such terrible symptoms after?

Nathan you are so knowledgeable and I'm grateful for your input.  When will I be able to drink alcohol again normally? Or will I ever after kindled? Now if I only drink once I am sick with severe withdrawal for 6 days after the alcohol only.  I've been off of benzos for 1 year with only 1 slip of .75 mgs in that time only once. My central nervous system and gaba receptors are so messed up after repeated withdrawals. Will I ever be able to drink again without such terrible symptoms after?

I lot of people have trouble with alcohol for some time after recovering from benzos. It can send them into a wave. Others can enjoy alcohol but many times have to be careful about overdoing it.

If it were me, I'd just concentrate on getter better right now. Worry about that other stuff later. After you recover if you want to test the waters with a small quantity of alcohol that's probably ok, just be very cautious.

Me personally - if I ever recover I'll never touch the stuff. Too much risk for too little reward.

Wow, you really helped me so much thank you.  I'll stay away from it,  just don't know if I'll ever be able to drink without the trouble. I'm a binge drinker anyway,  once I start I cannot stop so maybe it's for the best.