Cutting vs Grinding Klonopin

[En...]

Hi,

I read on another site that dry cutting could be risky because the active ingredient may not be perfectly distributed throughout the tablet. I'm on half of a 0.5mg tablet now. It's scored so it's definitely intended to be cut once along the score line. But I'm not sure about the rest of the tablet. Is it better to grind up the tablet to disperse the active ingredient equally? Or have people had just as much success just cutting? This is specifically in reference to brand name Klonopin tablets.

Thank you!

This is interesting - I had not thought of this.  I found an article that goes into the inaccuracies in pill splitting and potential instabilities:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4285309/

Here is an article that discusses the distribution of the active drug in several Parkinson's drugs that were studied:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32009083/

Wow. Could this be a significant factor in the tapering difficulties we have? Those percentage variabilities seem quite high even for someone who is not tapering.

I am on the brand name tablets because I CANNOT take the Teva generic. It makes me go into withdrawal whether I am tapering or not. I suspect there is great variability in their tablets.

I split my brand name tablets along the scoring line with an xacto knife. Sometimes I check the two halves on my cheap jewelry scale and they're more or less right. The brand has that nice big open space for the K in the middle which I find makes scoring it easier and more accurate I think.

From your signature it looks like you had success just cutting. Maybe I will try that in conjunction with the mg scale and hope for the best. If it doesn't work I can try grinding.

Thank you.

I asked my highly trained and experienced compounding pharmacist about brand Klonopin versus generics such as Teva. She assured me brand manufacturers have very high manufacturing and quality control standards.  If I’m remembering correctly, she indicated they hold themselves to a standard of +/- 0.3% in terms of allowable variation in API (active pharmaceutical ingredient) per batch/lot.  After talking with her, we agreed she would use brand Klonopin tablets as the drug source for my compounded clonazepam suspension. It has worked flawlessly.

Libertas,

She wouldn't happen to be in the DMV area would she? Lol. Sigh. Last time I came off Klonopin eleven years ago, I also had a compounded solution made from brand name K. This time the pharmacy (new one) bought the pure Clonazepam powder and put it into Ora-Mist. Two days of switching just one dose and I feel destabilized already. I guess I just have to go searching for another pharmacy. How do you find a good one?????? I guess I just lucked out when I was in PA.