Treating Anxiety Safely in WD

[Ha...]

• 2 weeks later...
One finds himself in complete confusion. Does this mean that we should never use the chamomile and lemon balm tea again even after coming off the benzos?

I have the very same question!  I am 20 months off and making good progress, but I miss my camomile tea SO MUCH!  I haven't tried it because I don't want to jeopardize my recovery, but man, the things we need to be careful about is just plain criminal!

And this was the first time I've heard that regular use of camomile can cause a down-regulation of GABA receptors. 

Chamomile tea should be fine. I think the problem is taking high doses of supplements. I don't think there's any proof that these supplements delay healing. They can cause setbacks tho. At the end of the day some people drink alcohol throughout and heal. I just thought it was an interesting thread, for those who want to play it safe. I wouldn't take it as gospel.

Just take it slow with any supplements. If you want to have a chamomile tea, try it. There are actually many health benefits of chamomile.

I think it's a good thing to be aware that setbacks can happen and be careful with these things. But fearing everything isn't helping recovery either, I think it creates a negative loop that we can easily get stuck in.

Deanna, enjoy that tea. I would be amazed if it causes you a setback at 20 months. If you're worried, have a few sips. Then next time 1/4 cup etc etc

Chamomile tea should be fine. I think the problem is taking high doses of supplements. I don't think there's any proof that these supplements delay healing. They can cause setbacks tho. At the end of the day some people drink alcohol throughout and heal. I just thought it was an interesting thread, for those who want to play it safe. I wouldn't take it as gospel.

Just take it slow with any supplements. If you want to have a chamomile tea, try it. There are actually many health benefits of chamomile.

I think it's a good thing to be aware that setbacks can happen and be careful with these things. But fearing everything isn't helping recovery either, I think it creates a negative loop that we can easily get stuck in.

Deanna, enjoy that tea. I would be amazed if it causes you a setback at 20 months. If you're worried, have a few sips. Then next time 1/4 cup etc etc

Thanks Having,  I definitely plan to introduce it on an intermittent basis and just a bit at a time to re-acclimate my receptors LOL!  I've added back coffee, chocolate, even green tea and still sleeping well.  I just want to get to the point when my pain is so minimal that any uptick will be discernible and I can know whether it is causing any problems.  I am somewhat traumatized from this whole experience.