Author Topic: Valium Isnít Taking Any More of My Life  (Read 1679 times)

[Buddie]

Valium Isnít Taking Any More of My Life
« on: February 22, 2022, 12:19:24 pm »
     I was put on Valium for muscle spasms, a low dose, after a surgical injury. Terrible recovery, took 1.5 year-ish. Then, I was like ok Iíll stop my meds. Had no idea what lay ahead for me. Figured out it was the benzo withdrawal, so I thought I would taper for a few weeks and be ok. No- I had to taper for a full year. Then I thought withdrawal wouldnít be too bad. No. It was. Complete torture. Iím a mom, bunch of young kids. Iíve missed SO much of their lives and their childhood. I cannot believe this stuff is given to people every day. I did everything ďrightĒ with tapering and recovery. It has taken 34-ish months, and I can say the worst is over. After the two year mark, I started improving quickly. Before that, I hadnít seen any progress. It was soul crushing. My husband stuck it out with me, my parents, sister, children- all waited for me to improve. It took 2.5 years to feel hopeful. Now, I can say that I believe everyone heals because Iím living it. It took FOREVER.
  My head doesnít hurt every single day. I donít throw up all of the time, I donít have neuropathy in my feet, my body doesnít burn, my gums donít hurt, I donít have pelvic pain, I donít have back spasms, I donít have muscle spasms all of the time, I donít have morning panic.

Now- I had a wave a couple of weeks ago! Word to the wise- do NOT try a probiotic that is for ďMood Booster.Ē I got it off Amazon, and it promised to work in the gut to help me make neurotransmitters. Yíall- I had two weeks of acute while I was taking it before I figured it out!! I stopped the probiotics, and it stopped the next day.

I donít drink anymore, but I have had a couple of drinks in the last year on special occasions. I was ok.

Occasionally Iíll be a little overstimulated by lots of voices, sounds, and lights in a crowd but I can manage it. Iíd say Iím 95% healed. I have always gotten migraines, and when they hit I can feel if benzo withdrawal is making it worse- the pressure feeling. Iíd say maybe 3-4 times in the last 4 months Iíve felt head pressure. But it passed quickly.

I wanted my life back, and Iíve got it. Everything from now on will just be icing on the cake. I want to build muscle back. I want to go do things and make up for lost time. Iím closing this chapter of my life and looking forward, without fear of a wave. Small twinges here or there on a bad day might happen, but real ďwavesĒ where I canít leave the house- those are over! I can actually commit to things in advance.

Just keep going! One foot in front of the other. I was SO sick. I was awful at one year out. Two years out! And then, healing started when I wasnít expecting it. It is the best feeling in the world to know that I made it, I triumphed over this poison. You can too!

God bless, and good luck.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Valium Isnít Taking Any More of My Life
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 12:27:31 pm »
Happy for you, and hope that 100% is around the corner.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 03:12:54 pm »
St Teresa, I needed a new success story today.  Thank you for taking the time to post yours.  While it took you a long time, it is still encouraging.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 03:40:02 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 03:24:35 pm »
Thank you for your story [...] :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 06:36:46 pm »
[...],

What you posted will give hope to those still in the throes of benzo withdrawal, thank you for this.

I'm sorry that a medical issue led you to being put on valium, but you persevered with a wonderful support system, and now you can enjoy your life of wellness.

[...]  :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 07:46:52 pm »
I just love your attitude and the title of your story!  Deciding not to let benzos take any more from us is a greaat way to look at it and that is sort of what I did as well.  I wish you well as you continue to proceed in your recovery and in your newly reclaimed life!!

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 11:54:08 pm »
My story is very similar to yours in that I was given Valium for muscle tension and headaches after I fell forward from my bed onto a night table.  I should have just been advised to take Tylenol for the headaches and have some neck and shoulder massages; however, long story short, I was off and on the Valium for a period of 14 months, long enough to cause me to get so constipated that my bowels became impacted and I had to have a colostomy.  Actually, I recovered well from the surgery, but six months later I had the colostomy reversed, and was given Versed, which is a benzo and I went downhill pretty quickly.  After finding a young benzo savvy neurologist he informed me that the Valium was causing the headaches!!!! I am now at 23 months tomorrow and having some nice windowsÖjust had one for a month, but because I always overdo when in a window, I have been in a wave for about five days.  My waves are getting shorter so that is a blessing.

I wish you all good things in life, as you have certainly earned it!

GG

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 01:20:28 am »
Thank you for sharing your story with those of us who are still recovering.  I'm so glad you can live your life now and enjoy your family!

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 03:43:54 pm »
Wow how refreshing to see someone new recover! I loved this! I wish you continued enjoyment of your new healed life. Make you go on to make beautiful symptom free memories with your children and family.

:smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 07:19:12 pm »
Thank you for taking the time to write this for all of us. I am most encouraged to hear your healing happened after a long road because even though I am creeping up on a year, I am not well and stories where people were also not well and then healed rapidly gets me through the days when I start thinking this is permanent.

I am happy for you!  :smitten: