Clonazepam powder can lose potency ?

[le...]

Hello all,

Does anyone know that if we had the drug crushed into powder and stored couple of months for later use, would involve the risk of that powder to lose it's potency, as it's not a solid pill anymore ? And basically get more WD from this as you get less absorbed in your body.

I have some big issues recently with the Clonazepam I am taking and trying to find if this is possible or not.

If this is not possible I assume I hit complete tolerance with it and it feels like a CT.

I don't know but this document asks the question, maybe someone with knowledge will stop by. 

Is it safe to make modifications in a prescription drug?

Making modifications in any prescription drug confers a degree of risk. As a general rule of thumb, the greater degree of modification, the higher the degree of risk.

Titration FAQ's

Yes, it’s possible the properties of the active pharmaceutical ingredient in the ground up tablets might change over time depending on storage conditions (e.g. exposure to light, air, heat, and moisture can cause drug degradation).  Another possibility is the powder may absorb moisture from the air over time.  Consequently, a given weight of powder would no longer contain the same amount of drug.

@[Li...]

I keep the powder I made from Clonazepam pills in it's own jar that the pills came with.

I keep them in kitchen and the jar is closed, open just when I need to make the pills.

I don't think there is to much humidity or heat tbh.

I made the powder 3 months ago from many pills, but contained as I mentioned, do you think it has any problems ?

Have occurred recently a big hit after I split my 0.3 Clonazepam dose in 2 x 0.15 and I don't know exactly what is happening.

If it s about tolerance withdrawal or something related to the powder that is kind of old and lost it's potential and I'm in wd because of that.

"Consequently, a given weight of powder would no longer contain the same amount of drug."

I measure the same weight the pill had, for example 0.090 mg was equivalent in 0.3mg of Clonazepam as pill solid form.

When I switch to powered the same equivalent of powder has been put in a veggie capsule and I did not had any problems at first (like until now).

You just shared a piece of information that could be significant.

Am I understanding correctly that you had been taking 0.3mg of clonazepam once a day but recently split your dose and are now taking 0.15mg twice a day?

Re: issues with using powder made by grinding up tablets ...

Generally speaking, if you manipulate/modify a dosage form, it’s best to use the resulting ‘product’ as soon as possible.  I personally would not grind up tablets and store the resulting powder for later use.  Instead, I would complete the following steps in one sitting: (1) grind up however many tablets I needed for 1-2 weeks (or maybe up to 4 weeks) worth of doses, (2) weigh out the doses needed as soon as I finished grinding up the powder, (3) place the doses in gel caps, (4) store the powder-filled capsules away from light, heat, and humidity.

"Am I understanding correctly that you had been taking 0.3mg of clonazepam once a day but recently split your dose and are now taking 0.15mg twice a day?"

Yes. And since then I hit rock bottom, horrible 2-3 weeks without any stabilization, things got even worse at some point.

And then I tried to find what it's going on, I did many changes before this split of Clonazepam in last 6 weeks, I must admit that, but I stabilized pretty fast after those changes, maybe the changes got me from behind, but still, after the Clonazepam split something way different and horrible happened, it was like I did a CT from the 0.3mg.

Also important to mention I am tapering Lexapro now, as advice from Surviving Antidepressants to tapper the most activating drug first.

So basically being in withdrawal from Clonazepam, Lexapro (and some adr from Lexapro), this split that was felt like a CT "killed" me.

Then I dig up information, what is going on, why I cannot stabilize.

"Generally speaking, if you manipulate/modify a dosage form, it’s best to use the resulting ‘product’ as soon as possible.  I personally would not grind up tablets and store the resulting powder for later use.  Instead, I would complete the following steps in one sitting: (1) grind up however many tablets I needed for 1-2 weeks (or maybe up to 4 weeks) worth of doses, (2) weigh out the doses needed as soon as I finished grinding up the powder, (3) place the doses in gel caps, (4) store the powder-filled capsules away from light, heat, and humidity."

I basically had the powder made 2-3 months ago and stored in a closed jar. First it was away from any light / heat / humidity stored in my bedside drawer. But then, in the last month I decided to keep the closed jar on the kitchen table.

I tried to find any information related to the powder loosing it's potency or some sort and in combination with the split it got horrible, but never found a real answer to this.

Also the powder was made by pill scraps that I used before making powder, I always used to cut them and weight them, so the scraps are more than 3 months old.

Surviving Antidepressants mods mention that it's not a problem if you keep it in a closed jar away from heat and humidity.

Basically my sleep had become horrible after what happened and I think that's why I destabilized further.

But in the past days my sleep became much better and seem to slowly recover and I will tell you why :

I united the 0.3 mg dosage again before bedtime, with no success. Hold couple of days, still horrible.

I up dosed to 0.5 mg before bed and 0.2 mg in the mid day, still horrible.

Talked with the Surviving Antidepressants mods about switching to Diazepam as I may be become complete tolerant to Clonazepam at this point (see this post : http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9706.msg690747#new)

Took 1 x 10 mg Diazepam 2 days ago for testing in mid day, very dizzy, I was like drunk, but there was relief.

Took 1 x 5 mg Diazepam yesterday for testing in mid day, less dizzy, less drunk, relief.

After all of these I had 3-4 "good" night sleep and today I feel much stable.

I am not sure overall what happened. But I am still unsure about the powder potency. And cannot find any real source for this.

It sounds like splitting your dose was a contributing factor to your distress.

Re: your uncertainty about ‘powder potency’ ...

Might I encourage you to conduct your own research on this topic?  You could begin by searching PubMed (see link below) using the following terms:

Crushing tablets

Manipulating tablets

Drug degradation

Link:

PubMed

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

I see you live in Romania.  Are Rivotril drops available in your country?  We have multiple members who are using/have used this 2.5mg/mL oral solution of clonazepam to taper.  Because it is a true solution, it offers more accurate dosing compared to other approaches.

I also wonder if Tapering Strips might be an option:

https://www.taperingstrip.com/

Unfortunately in my country, none of these options are available.

I am crushing tablets and weighting the powder in veggie caps on a jewelry scale.

Will do it with much more fresh tablets / powder from now on.