Help with diazepam liquid solution

[op...]

Hi BB friends,

I was able to get a prescription for the Roxanne diazepam solution. I'm hoping this will help to do DLMT more precisely.

I would like to use this for tapering off only .5mg right now. (Taking the rest in tablets.)

I was thinking of a 25-day taper for the .5mg (adjusting as need be as I go along.) In my understanding, this means a daily reduction of .02mg.

So, on day one, it would be .5.

On day two it would be .48

and so on. Is that correct?

If so, do I just draw out .5ml the first day, then .48ml the second day, etc.?

Thanks for any help from folks with proficient math skills and/or who have used concentrated solutions like this one! So grateful!

Edit: Just learned this is a 1:1 solution, not 5:1. Would still appreciate someone checking my math :)

Hey Openroad

I never used the 5/1 solution mine was already 1mg/1ml

The directions should tell you how to delute to 1mg /1ml which would be to add 4ml water to 1ml of solution

1 mL x 5 mg/1 mL = 5 mg

4 mL water + 1 mL liquid diazepam = 5 mL

Result = 5 mg/5 mL = 1 mg/1 mL

You can then use a 1 ml syringe which has graduations of .1. .2 etc

With in between graduations of .01 .02 etc

You can find on Amazon

You can search on old posts on the diazepam support group and find a lot of useful info relating to this

Hope this helps

Joeb

Your welcome OR that will be way easier

Be sure and ask the pharmacy for a bottle adapter and syringes that fit the adapter plug.

This fits snugly in the bottle opening and has a small hole to insert the oral syringe. They typically give thes out for free but if not you can order on Amazon

Gotta make sure you get the correct size

Hoeb

Hello, openroad.

Thank you for letting us know you will be able to obtain the 5mg/5mL (i.e. 1mg/1mL) oral solution of diazepam.  That’s much less complicated to work with than the concentrate.

Am I understanding correctly that your current dose is 3.5mg of diazepam?  How many times a day do you dose?  Once?  Do you still wish to begin by tapering 0.5mg using the liquid and taking the remainder of your dose in tablet form?  Do you wish to dilute the oral solution or use it ‘as supplied’?  What taper rate do you wish to try?

I agree with Joeb it would be helpful if your pharmacist would dispense the oral solution in a bottle with an adapter cap plus provide you with oral syringes.

If you elect to use the 1mg/mL oral solution as is, a 1mL oral syringe with graduations every 0.01mL would be a good choice.

Also, in case you aren’t familiar with adapter caps and/or using syringes:

Using an Adapter Cap | The Withdrawal Project

https://withdrawal.theinnercompass.org/taper/using-adapter-cap

Using Syringes | The Withdrawal Project

https://withdrawal.theinnercompass.org/taper/using-syringes

Libertas,

Thanks for checking in! Yes, I am still at 3.5, but taking 3mg in pills. Here is what I wrote in my opening post (at top):

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/Themes/default/images/bbc/bold.gif

I would like to use this for tapering off only .5mg right now. (Taking the rest in tablets.)

I was thinking of a 25-day taper for the .5mg (adjusting as need be as I go along.) In my understanding, this means a daily reduction of .02mg.

So, on day one, it would be .5.

On day two it would be .48

and so on.

Is that correct?

If so, do I just draw out .5ml the first day, then .48ml the second day, etc.? Or is there a different way to do this?

And thank you Joeb for the intel on the syringe - I ordered 1 ml syringes from Amazon. Will those not necessarily work?

Rest assured, I read your opening post, openroad.;)  I wanted to confirm how you wished to proceed given the change from the concentrated to the more dilute liquid.  I also wanted to confirm your current dose, daily dosing schedule, and obtain your desired taper rate.

Yes, your 0.02mg per day number is correct. And, yes you would begin by measuring 0.5mL of the oral solution and ingesting it.

What you’ve proposed would result in a taper rate of 14.29% over 25 days. Has this rate been tolerable for you in the past? 

Just in case you haven’t come across this in your research ... might I encourage you to switch to the liquid and hold at 0.5mg for however many days it typically takes you to ‘register’ a change in your taper? Doing this will allow you to get a clear read on your reaction to the dosage form change (from regular tablets to liquid).

Thanks for adding that info Libertas it is very important as you said to trial the liquid. I’m glad I did because I didn’t adjust very well to it-made me nauseas and was getting burning in my face. I only gave it a week but like u said before 2 weeks is probably a better trial. I think you said also (pls correct me if I’m wrong) other bbs had to do a slight updose since the liquid sometimes is not as strong as the tablets

Joeb

Thanks for adding that info Libertas it is very important as you said to trial the liquid. I’m glad I did because I didn’t adjust very well to it-made me nauseas and was getting burning in my face. I only gave it a week but like u said before 2 weeks is probably a better trial. I think you said also (pls correct me if I’m wrong) other bbs had to do a slight updose since the liquid sometimes is not as strong as the tablets

Joeb

I believe you may be confusing me with another member, Joeb — quite easy to do on a forum with as many members as this one. :)

Assuming the manufacturer follows Good Manufacturing Practices for both production and quality control, the strength (potency) of the oral solution should be the same as that of regular tablets (e.g., 1mL of the liquid will contain 1mg of drug, just as a 1mg tablet contains 1mg of drug). However, the pharmacokinetics, metabolism, and bioavailability of the liquid may indeed be slightly different compared to the solid dosage form.

Although some members do routinely recommend an updose when switching from tablets to liquid, my personal preference is to conduct a ‘mini-experiment’ to determine if one is needed.

Joeb

I believe you may be confusing me with another member, Joeb — quite easy to do on a forum with as many members as this one. :)

Assuming the manufacturer follows Good Manufacturing Practices for both production and quality control, the strength (potency) of the oral solution should be the same as that of regular tablets (e.g., 1mL of the liquid will contain 1mg of drug, just as a 1mg tablet contains 1mg of drug). However, the pharmacokinetics, metabolism, and bioavailability of the liquid may indeed be slightly different compared to the solid dosage form.

Although some members do routinely recommend an updose when switching from tablets to liquid, my personal preference is to conduct a ‘mini-experiment’ to determine if one is needed.

gotcha Libertas thanks for the correction

Libertas,

Gotcha, thanks for the clarifications!

I am dosing three times a day right now: 1mg, 1mg, 1.5mg

My plan is to taper that .5mg from the third dose, and then ... come up with my next plan!

I really just started this and my last and first cut was .5mg at once and it was too much. About a week later, it hit me very hard. That said, it settled down after 3 weeks. So what I'm hoping to do is another similar cut but with a daily taper so as to not get the impact all at once.

I'm willing to slow down at any point - I just felt like I needed to start with a number somewhere and I'd like to see if I can knock this .5mg off in w/in a month and 25 seemed a nice round number to get the .02 decrease each day.

I'm already dealing with some nausea so really hoping I won't have the same reaction as Joeb but we will see. I'm hoping that by only using liquid for a fraction of the dosing, it will help with the adjustment.

I definitely do not want to updose, so if sxs get worse, I will just go back to pills rather than updose to tolerate the liquid.

Hope that makes sense and thank you for checking my math  :smitten:

Libertas,

Gotcha, thanks for the clarifications!

I am dosing three times a day right now: 1mg, 1mg, 1.5mg

My plan is to taper that .5mg from the third dose, and then ... come up with my next plan!

I really just started this and my last and first cut was .5mg at once and it was too much. About a week later, it hit me very hard. That said, it settled down after 3 weeks. So what I'm hoping to do is another similar cut but with a daily taper so as to not get the impact all at once.

I'm willing to slow down at any point - I just felt like I needed to start with a number somewhere and I'd like to see if I can knock this .5mg off in w/in a month and 25 seemed a nice round number to get the .02 decrease each day.

I'm already dealing with some nausea so really hoping I won't have the same reaction as Joeb but we will see. I'm hoping that by only using liquid for a fraction of the dosing, it will help with the adjustment.

I definitely do not want to updose, so if sxs get worse, I will just go back to pills rather than updose to tolerate the liquid.

Hope that makes sense and thank you for checking my math  :smitten:

Hey OR, when I tried liquid I only did one of my doses,

Two final thoughts, openroad.

Generally speaking, it is easier to speed up a taper that is going well than it is to slow down and recover from a ‘too much/too fast’ taper.  Given your drug history and relatively low total daily dose, if I were in your shoes, I would give serious consideration to beginning with a more conservative taper rate than 14.29% in 25 days.  However, this is your taper so it’s totally your call as to how to proceed.

I’ve read that some members find the taste of the oral diazepam solution to be less than pleasant.  To address this, you might consider measuring your dose and then adding it to water before drinking the drug/water mixture.  Diluting the diazepam solution this way might also be less upsetting to your stomach.  (If you do decide to try this, I suggest you rinse the drinking container with water then drink the rinse water to ensure all of the original drug/water mixture has been cleared out of the container and ingested.)

Sending all best wishes your way for a successful taper ... Libertas