Author Topic: YouTube videos from a therapist in benzo WD  (Read 2892 times)

[Buddie]

Re: YouTube videos from a therapist in benzo WD
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2022, 06:07:52 pm »
Yes, the floating from Claire Weekes and the "running towards" they discuss in the DARE approach  have to be modified for sure for most of us in benzo withdrawal.  They are helpful resources, but when you are so sensitized, they don't really apply or work well.

I liked when Jennifer spoke about her nervous systems being made of toothpicks and bubble gum and that we are pickles who can't think our way or push ourselves back into being a cucumber again.  I think she said, "It's not about effort" -- and I think that is critical for my family to understand that ---

I will check out those other resources as well --
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2022, 07:34:45 pm »
We should call call this the "Pickle group."

Here is todays podcast by Drew. Good stuff in here. Keep in mind, nothing he suggests is easy or feels good. And pushing is not ideal. But it's a good teaching. I liked where he said , "Do the thing and the motivation will come, don't wait for the motivation."

I don't want anyone to feel pressured to engage in desensitization if you are acute.  In earlier podcasts, he suggests a step at a time. Go to 1 place, even if it's just taking a walk. Build up your confidence to do more when in anxiety or even panic. But start with the pickle, not the whole smorgasbord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Koz6bk0EeMA
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2022, 10:35:04 pm »
yes, I definitely think we should keep this thread going --- we need to help guide each other to resources that are positive yet realistic. 
I will check out the drew clip.  I also reached out to that jenniferswanphd on her Instagram and messaged her about wanting to hear a bit more regarding her thoughts on the "accepting" part of the process

I have a friend that knows of her and apparently she was in the middle of writing another book (not about benzos) and was a professor up on the East Coast and a therapist when she got sick and went into Benzo withdrawal.   

Another good resource is Jennifer Leigh and her blog -- she coaches people as well.  And David Powers has a book and is a coach.  He talks about lulling and pushing.  but again, it is pushing at your own pace -- for some that means staying out of bed for a few hours and for others it could be more a push.  The lulling he talks about is like the slowing down and the self care part. 

yes, she was right.  once you are a pickle, you can't be a cucumber -- -at least for a long time. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2022, 01:35:26 am »
Thank you [...] for starting this thread and for all who have responded with the links to positive videos.  I am always searching for something positive and encouraging while on this nightmare journey.
🙂

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2022, 06:36:26 am »
Hello all,
I just listened to a few of Jennifer Swans podcasts and they are awesome!!!  She will be starting a blog and has written a book that will be released in May!

Thanks again [...] for posting the link.

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2022, 02:15:00 pm »
hi guys,

[...], I really like that drew podcast -- thank for sharing that.  there is also a woman named paige Pradko who has some great youtube videos.  she doesn't talk about benzo withdrawal, they are more for anxiety and OCD but I have talked to her before and she is aware of benzo withdrawal, at least believes in it and a few of her videos are very helpful.  she said she is putting together an online program for health anxiety ---- may be helpful for some.  while she isn't a benzo coach -- she does have one video posted about using benzos and understands the struggle we are in ---- its a start!

I had asked jenniferswan if she would explain a bit more about how she sees acceptance or how we can float through something as traumatic as Benzo withdrawal and I noticed this morning she had posted a new video talking bout it - haven't listened to it yet.  thanks [...] and others ---

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2022, 03:09:24 pm »
Thanks for sharing this [...]. I've watched them all already.  Since we can't get any solid acknowledgement of our predicaments from traditional medicine (or alternative for that matter), it's always comforting to hear from people "in the know". 

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2022, 06:59:46 pm »
Yes, and I am glad she made sure to add the z-drugs into the mix.

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2022, 02:19:24 am »
I hope Jennifer Swan makes more videos these have been so helpful.  So many would benefit from hearing them.

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2022, 03:47:33 pm »
leann,
I reached out to  on her instagram account - she has one by the same name -- jenniferswanphd --  I was able to then send her a private message and I asked her to talk more about acceptance.  she wrote me back and then posted one the next day -- you could certainly ask her to share her coping strategies.    if you don't have Instagram, I'm happy to ask for you --- I would be interested to know too

I think a lot of us have them but people are afraid to talk about them ---