Sinusitis, Full Head/Ears, and Allergies during Taper?

[ag...]

So I'm pretty deep into my klonopin taper. Made it from .75 all the way down to .125mg using cut and hold (yay). However, I've had to hold for the past 3 weeks as I've absolutely felt like crap  :sick:. I'm prone to allergies, but I've had a terribly full head, sinusitis, runny nose, daily headaches, and REALLY CONGESTED EARS for about a week and a half now. No fever, no colored mucus, so no infection (I don't think). Can't decide if this is allergies that turned into a small sinus infection... OR Is this a reaction to the benzo taper? Anyone else experience this? I've done a few searches for allergies on the forum and I have seen some people report similar things here and there, but I'm unsure if this is that common or not.

I'm also on lexapro (20 mg) and I've been reading a book on allergies and it noted that serotonin plays a role in allergic reactions. Being that lexapro is an SSRI, this perked my attention a little. Not sure if anyone's familiar with that aspect of things either.

Any insight appreciate here. I'm in the mood to get back to tapering, but want to stay functional.

I am very prone to sinus infections. Sometimes not having the fever or colored mucus simply means it's the start of the infection and I've had that last for several weeks before turning into a full bacterial infection or returning back to normal. In my case I know withdrawal doesn't give me a runny nose or congestion. Rinsing your sinuses with saline solution is generally the first action step.

Sinus congestion happens alot, even being off for months,  benzos and ssris work as antihistamine in the gut, I never had major issues with histamine until quitting lexapro and the benzo, I think its in your favor to still be on lexapro during withdrawl

Fox, help me out on this one. If they act as an antihistamine wouldn't that help allergic reactions (caused by the release of histamines)? I genuinely can't find any info on this, but I've definitely found that my sinuses have been way worse during withdrawl than before I started tapering. And this clogged ear, is WAY more than usually happens to me during a slight sinusitis incident.

I just posted on this last night and started to do a search on-line reviewing benzo withdrawal and mast cell activation..    I have had burning sinuses...runny nose, phlegmy throat, itchy skin, even a shingles like breakout rash on my back.  I've been so perplexed and worried.  I have never had allergies or sinus issues ever, in my whole life, until the tail end of my withdrawal  and after.    I remember one night, a couple months ago i tried an antihistamine. 

My sinuses were plugged and I was trying to get to sleep.  As soon as that antihistamine kicked in, I could breathe perfectly well.   

What I started to uncover last night is that during benzodiazepine withdrawal,  there is a cascade of histamine.  As well, there can be an inflammatory process that gets switched on, called mast cell activation, and, as well,  after being infected with viruses like covid, herpes, and even Lyme disease pathogens, it can happen.  So it's not just benzo withdrawal that can trigger this, but also other exposures.    If all of these can trigger inflammatory  pathways in the body, then to be in withdrawal  during covid could be a perfect storm.

One of my big fears lately, is that I had some horrid sinus infection.  I don't.  The mucus is clear and seems to flare when I've over excercised,  eaten certain  trigger foods, or become really  stressed.  I'm guessing my inflammation is a natural body response that can be somewhat managed by diet and nutrients....    even my sweating at night was scaring me.  I remember reading that the sweating can be the body trying to dump the histamine burden.

Anyways... I am not a medical professional,  and I'm brain fogged at best.    All I can say is that what I read last night put my mind at ease.    In terms of managing this, I'm inclined to look for natural ways to mitigate it. 

What will back down this immune response?  Vitamin C, sunshine (vitamin D), zinc, mint tea.  Also avoiding certain foods.  I googled mast cell activation and natural treatment. 

I would love to hear from others who are dealing with this.  Also if anyone got through it - post taper. 

I'm not scared anymore,  I feel relieved and empowered.  And I'm so committed to recovery from benzos.  Last night I did take Vit C and D and zinc before bed.  I slept thank God.    I'm avoiding tomatoes and other histamine trigger  foods.  Fingers crossed.

janiceh, thanks for your post. I read your taper blog and yeah your allergy/sinus issues seem very similar to mine. You've jumped right? Can you send any of the links you found useful on histamine response??

I've been reading this book: The Allergy Solution by Leo Galland https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BO65Y4K

And he does talk about mast cell activation etc. He recommends some specific natural ways of alleviating it, via a 3 day detox and reintroduction diet. I may try some of his recipes and see if I get any relief. My head is crazy full today and my eyes are itchy and watery. Seems beyond my normal seasonal allergies.

Yeah, the drugs work as antihistamines on top of mcas issues arise in withdrawl. Alot of times ssris are given to people with mcas issues also. During withdrawl I reactivated ebv, I didn't know that was even possible, often reactivation can be accompanied by a rash, I didn't have a rash but had major pain in my joints. Usually the body will regulate with time as far as the histamine goes, some people seem to not regulate but alot of people have mcas issues and these meds can mask them as well. I've had reoccurring sinus issues since I jumped also, it's my least stressful symptom though.

janiceh, thanks for your post. I read your taper blog and yeah your allergy/sinus issues seem very similar to mine. You've jumped right? Can you send any of the links you found useful on histamine response??

I've been reading this book: The Allergy Solution by Leo Galland https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BO65Y4K

And he does talk about mast cell activation etc. He recommends some specific natural ways of alleviating it, via a 3 day detox and reintroduction diet. I may try some of his recipes and see if I get any relief. My head is crazy full today and my eyes are itchy and watery. Seems beyond my normal seasonal allergies.

https://blockcenter.com/depression-antidepressants-antihistamines/

Not the best article, my doctor told me that they work as antihistamines,  surprisingly. I've been having alot of histamine issues, burning red ears, qatering eyes, itchiness, twitches, fast heart rate is also associated with high histamine. From everything I've read, it seems like histamine is the reason for probably many peoples anxiety in the first place.

Benzo's having a cascading histaminergic effect..Yes!!

My first symptom was burning eyes, then itching eyes, then sandpaper eyes then a burning nose...

I now have rhinosinusitis and eustachian syndrome...This is new and since my taper... It's a real thing so I appreciate knowing others can validate this reality.

A low histamine diet helps. Sinus rinse with saline is ESSENTIAL!

hey dan, talk to me about the eustachian syndrome. I've felt like I've had fluid in my eustachian tubes for about 3 weeks now. Is this similar???

Thanks Fox, very interesting. I'm gonna do some follow up googling on this. Makes sense from a logic standpoint. Do you do any kind of treatment for your allergies? Shots etc?

Sadly, allegra and pepcid at times but standard process makes a supplement called atronex that works really well,you take it then 30 minutes after the globes feeling and nose have relief. 

fox, very intersting. I'm definitely going to order some of the atronex, I like the sound of that. how much do you take, just one pill?

I take only 1, had no side effects at all.  It says take 1 but it's like food so I have a friend who the doctor told her she could take more than 1. I didn't believe it would work but it does

hey dan, talk to me about the eustachian syndrome. I've felt like I've had fluid in my eustachian tubes for about 3 weeks now. Is this similar???

Hi Hall, Perhaps its my age, (I'm 44 now), perhaps its my history of ear and throat infections as a child.... BUT since I began withdrawing 2 years ago, I have had chronic sinus issues BUT never had any issues in the previous 20 years

Just yesterday I went to the doc and was diagnosed with eustachian tube dysfunction. My inner ear is inflammed and it has to do with my sinuses as well. So I have a nasal steroid spray . It seems our bodies experience an autoimmune response....Until my body learns to make gaba on its own, well this is just one illness after another. I was so healthy before...

I hope the best for all of you here !!

Dan, thanks for your reply on this. Wow, every interesting. Yeah I have a history of sinusitis, and ear infections as a kid as well. Sounds similar. Have you found anything other than the steroid spray that has alleviated your symptoms? supplements etc? I'm about to try to raise my glutathione levels by taking NAC... wondering if that will have any effect on this.

Dan, thanks for your reply on this. Wow, every interesting. Yeah I have a history of sinusitis, and ear infections as a kid as well. Sounds similar. Have you found anything other than the steroid spray that has alleviated your symptoms? supplements etc? I'm about to try to raise my glutathione levels by taking NAC... wondering if that will have any effect on this.

I dont know as I've just been diagnosed. I do know that a neti pot / sinus rinse helps. Fresh air, avoiding cigarette smoke...I think NAC is a great idea and I am going to add it. I have no desire to be on a steroid spray long term..

But I'm wondering how much of my withdrawal symptoms were really sinus issues....but then I wonder how much of my sinus issues are from withdrawal haha OH: I know that diet is everything, everything, fresh whole food: sugar, wheat, and dairy destroy me and make every symptom worse....benzo belly

But I'm wondering how much of my withdrawal symptoms were really sinus issues....but then I wonder how much of my sinus issues are from withdrawal haha OH: I know that diet is everything, everything, fresh whole food: sugar, wheat, and dairy destroy me and make every symptom worse....benzo belly

Oh good lord, I can relate to this. Is it allergies? Is it withdrawal? Was it something I ate? It's the guessing game from hell... and yeah, i want to eat sugar, wheat, and dairy again someday too...

• 2 months later...
Just wanted to update this thread. I've been taking NAC (only 500mg) once a day for about two months now. Is it doing anything? I dunno honestly. I switched from loratidine, to Allegra in the morning and Zyrtec at night, and that has helped with my allergies. Honestly the benzos have been enhancing some of my sinus symptoms for sure, but I think my symptoms for this original post WERE in fact allergies from pollen season. I've had a sinus infection in the past few weeks, so I know I'm prone to this kind of thing. Are the benzo's making it worse? Probably. Has it abated, yes, its better than what it was. I'm jumping in two weeks, so that'll be the true test!  ???

Hi, y'all - this has been an interesting thread for me. I have been tapering for a few months now and getting down in dosage (.25mg/day). I know I have seasonal allergies and am in the Pacific Northwest where everything grows and blooms, but as I have been tapering I have noticed an uptick in annoying symptoms. Like burning sinuses, dry red eyes, sticky throat, stuffiness with little mucus, ears feel full...and can definitely do the rathole of why is this...benzos or allergies or food choices? I had to add back goat dairy as I was losing weight through this anxiety/benzo process and needed the extra fat and calories. Maybe it's that, too...anyhow, appreciate the thread.

I had to add back goat dairy as I was losing weight through this anxiety/benzo process and needed the extra fat and calories.

Hey Raven, yeah I've been sugar free, gluten free, and dairy free for a year now because of the benzos. Honestly, my allergies have probably been at their worst this year despite the diet change. However, those changes did help with the benzo belly somewhat. I've been slowly eating a little gluten, and a little dairy here and there and have been fine for the past few months. No change in allergies or benzo belly issues. Who knows "what's what" with all this... thank you klonopin.  ??? I think the positive sign here is that I'm worried about it less and less. Yes my allergies are annoying, but I'm more focused on getting off the benzo and being grateful for how far I've come. Definitely a change in mindset from a year ago.

• 3 weeks later...
Agenthall, have your sinuses and ear pressure caused any tinnitus (high pitched ringing) or hyperacusis  (makes small sharp sounds LOUD)?  If so, any solution?  That’s what I’m going through  :'(

Agenthall, have your sinuses and ear pressure caused any tinnitus (high pitched ringing) or hyperacusis  (makes small sharp sounds LOUD)?  If so, any solution?  That’s what I’m going through  :'(

Well I've had very mild tinnitus on and off during this. It has not been terrible like some have reported, and I definitely haven't had any hyperacusis. The tinnitus doesn't seem to last too long for me, maybe 10min and then I kind of lose track of it so it doesn't bother me and its definitely fleeting, not constant. Don't have any great advice for the tinnitus other than to say, magnesium has helped me in so many ways that I pretty much recommend it for everything (i know that's corny and probably not helpful). Definitely dive into the forums, someone's got some help out there. I suppose if it got terrible you could go seen an audiologist and get fitted for a tinnitus device that desensitizes you to those frequencies you here most often?