Help lorazepam liquid intensol dosing please

[Di...]

I am using lorazepam intensol liquid 2mg/ml.  I pull 1ml intensol and mix with 299ml water for a 300 ml solution.  The pharmacist had previously told me it was ok to do it this way and now says it's not recommended.  The 300ml lasts for 3-4 days I store it in the frig.  My doses per day are 18.4 ml, 14.8 ml, 14.6, 23.7 ml.  How much would I pull from the concentrated liquid for each dose?  I'm very confused and concerned I am really struggling with my taper I'm afraid that my doses have lost strength from mixing and storing.  Thank you for any help.

Dianedeedee

I’m guessing your pharmacist read the instructions on the drug label that comes with the Intensol and is being cautious.  See below.

Are you having issues with the diluted liquid or is it working ok? If so, you could just continue using it.

Or, you could make a smaller batch with the same concentration as your present liquid so you would not have to store it so many days.

Here’s an example:

Add 0.5mL of the Intensol to 149.5mL of water. 

This would make a liquid with a concentration of 0.0066666 mg/mL (the same as your current liquid). So you would measure the same amounts you have been.

Proper Use of an Intensol™

An Intensol is a concentrated oral solution as compared to standard oral liquid medications. It is recommended that an Intensol be mixed with liquid or semi-solid food such as water, juices, soda or soda-like beverages, applesauce and puddings.

Use only the calibrated oral syringe provided with this product. Draw into the syringe the amount prescribed for a single dose. Then push the plunger on the syringe to add the contents into a liquid or semi-solid food. Stir the liquid or food gently for a few seconds. The Intensol formulation blends quickly and completely. The entire amount of the mixture, of drug and liquid or drug and food, should be consumed immediately. Do not store for future use.

Hi Libertas,

Yes I am having a hard time with my taper for quite sometime.  So I was afraid that I'm not getting full strength from mixing a large amount and storing.

Thank you for responding so quickly  :)

You’re welcome. 

Questions: Did the diluted Intensol liquid remain clear (no visible particles):

(1) immediately after you added the water?

(2) 1 day after you refrigerated it?

(3) 3-4 days after you refrigerated it?

OK.  That’s an encouraging sign ... it suggests the drug molecules are not precipitating out of solution when the Intensol is diluted. 

Am I remembering correctly that you are reducing your dose by fixed amounts?  If so, have you checked the percent of the reductions you’ve been making?

You’re welcome. 

Questions: Did the diluted Intensol liquid remain clear (no visible particles):

(1) immediately after you added the water?

(2) 1 day after you refrigerated it?

(3) 3-4 days after you refrigerated it?

I see Libertas is gathering data, this information is very helpful Dianedeedee, thank you.