Author Topic: Anyone tried prazosin for anxiety?  (Read 469 times)

[Buddie]

Anyone tried prazosin for anxiety?
« on: February 15, 2022, 09:44:50 pm »
I've been off Xanax for 2.5 years now. Good on that. But, my anxiety is out of control. Doc, therapist, and friends are pushing for meds. I'm reading up but scared shitless.

I'm looking at prazosin off label and wondered if anyone here has tried that and what s/e and possible results to expect.

I don't need a lecture on the danger of drugs. Already quite aware. Thanks.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Anyone tried prazosin for anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 01:00:32 am »
Any updates?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 02:19:00 am »
Apparently used off label for PTSD. Might help.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 02:41:01 am »
I've been off Xanax for 2.5 years now. Good on that. But, my anxiety is out of control. Doc, therapist, and friends are pushing for meds. I'm reading up but scared shitless.

I'm looking at prazosin off label and wondered if anyone here has tried that and what s/e and possible results to expect.

I don't need a lecture on the danger of drugs. Already quite aware. Thanks.
Hi [...]
Hereís a link to a special search feature for using google to search benzo buddies itís yields a lot of results much better than the bb search feature. I used it to check for the drug u asked about and there are many results
Hereís the link on how to use it http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=251991.0
[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 04:38:42 am »
I tried it (my doc prescribed) during the last year of my taper. It was a terrible experience. It gave me vivid terrifying nightmares (so much for it helping with my PTSD). One night I had an sf nightmare in which blank-faced aliens descended from their ship in a blue hot air balloon and tried to take me captive, Another night  I recall waking up the find myself sitting on the edge of my bed while a voice (I guess it was mine) tried to persuade me to do myself in (no aliens came that night). It was a thoroughly unnerving experience and I discontinued the drug after a few nights.

So undoubtedly  the drug will help some people . . . just not me.  :-\

Best wishes,

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 05:14:50 am »
@[...] - that's so interesting. Thanks for sharing your wacky and vivid dreams. I'm having awful nightmares every night, which I'm quite sure are from the mirtazapine, even on this tiny dose. They are also really bizarre and scary. I can't taper it till I'm off the benzos so I just have to deal with it for now. But I also have PTSD, and it makes me wonder if those of us w/ PTSD might be more prone to medication-induced nightmares. (Incidentally, nightmares are a documented side effect of mirtazapine, but only for some people.)