3.5 months since jumped-Insomnia

[He...]

I jumped 3.5 months ago, and my sleep has consistently been averaging about 5 hours a night. I have had several 8-hour nights but it's not consistent. I was hoping by now I would be at 8 hours every night (or more!) Just like many have told me, it takes MONTHS (or years) to get your sleep back to normal every night. After months of 0 to 2-hour nights, I had my first 8-hour night in August 2021, so I thought I'd be healed by now! Nope. But I am mini-healed since I do get lot's of 4 to 6 hour nights.

Another thing I have recently started to get back is being able to fall back to sleep if I get up to use the restroom. What a blessing. Sometimes it doesn't happen though. Still working on it.

Hang in there if you're struggling with sleep. It does slowly get better. I can't believe that 9 months ago I was taking 4mg Xanax a day and sometimes 6! Crazy! No more Xanax or Ambien for me!

HM

I am up to 6 hours of sleep and I only wake up about 4 to 5 times.  This is on almost 8 months  post CT.  I also am now able to go back to sleep after waking up.  I feel awake but then drift off and then check and 1.5 hours have passed.  Although my sleep watch only records about 1 hour of deep sleep, I definitely feel my nights are getting “shorter.”  I am sure HM that this progress gives you hope.  As I was cautioned, if you have a few nights of a relapse, just view it as a sign that your CNS is further adjusting and healing and that we are still progressing.  I am happy for your progress.

HM,

That is fantastic at only 3.5 months out from your CT.  At 3.5 months out from my CT I entered the dark realm of severe insomnia and was averaging 5-10 hours of sleep per week with lots and lots of zero nights...keep up the great healing and recovery!

Newbie, Thanks for the note! We are close to getting the same amount of sleep. Last night was 6 or 7 hours. It's slow but sure! I just had a zero night a few nights ago, so I still have a way to go.

Thway2, Thanks for stopping by and giving me props! I know you really, really suffered with insomnia for a long while with your CT. I thought, after my first 8-hour night in August 2021, that I would be sleeping 10 hours a night by now! But I am still averaging 4 to 5 hours with the occasional zero and occasional 8.

Happy Tuesday!

HM

Hi HeartMost!

Thank you for posting your sleep progress. I currently sleep an average of 5 hours to 7 hours as well. Your experiences have helped me a lot. I'm sure we will win :)

Just like many have told me, it takes MONTHS (or years) to get your sleep back to normal every night. After months of 0 to 2-hour nights, I had my first 8-hour night in August 2021, so I thought I'd be healed by now! Nope. But I am mini-healed since I do get lot's of 4 to 6 hour nights.

You are so right HeartMost. I was in the 2-4 hours a WEEK club for almost a year after jumping. I moved on to 2-4, at 12 months, then 4-6 at 16 months, 6-8 at 18 months to 7-8 regularly at about the 2 year mark. Four years later and I can still remember that misery. So glad it is behind you as well. It keeps getting better!

My pattern the first year was to sleep 1-3 hours the first night and then I was so exhausted the next night I would sleep 6-7 hours.  I came to dread those every-other-nights where I didn't sleep.  Thankfully, at 20 months off benzos, this pattern is over and I am consistently sleeping well! 

I too went on a pattern of ZERO sleep one night and then 4-5 hours the next night for about 2-3 months before I started getting consecutive nights of sleep,  My sleep eventually went to 2, 3, 4, 5 and even 6 nights in a row for about 4-7 hours each night. I averaged 1 bad night per week and was ecstatic!  As more time passed, my sleep progressed to sleeping every night with an off night of sleep every month or two.  Now I can go for years (literally) with good sleep with maybe a poor night 6 - 10 times per year!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of your replies. I appreciate it. I am still in the same spot as when I started this thread last month.

About 2 weeks ago, I went almost a week not getting more than 3 hours of sleep but now, in the last 5 nights, I have gotten at least 4.5 and up to 7. I am tired during the day. It takes me several hours to 'wake up'. I think I have chronic fatigue syndrome even before the benzos. Maybe I need iron or something. Anyway, I am way better off than I was 6 or 7 months ago but I am kind of stable at 5 hours a night. I see, for some of you, that it was a few YEARS before you consistently got 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night.

I am working now, so it takes my mind off my sleep and other issues for a few hours a day.

Take care

HM

It wasn't years before I got 7-8 hours sleep a night but it was around a year.  I still have nights on occasion where I am restless but even on those nights I tend to get 4-5 hours sleep now.  If I get 5 hours sleep I function reasonably well the next day. 

Congrats on working HeartMost - distraction and staying busy was one of my best 'weapons' in benzo recovery!

Thanks, Kate08! I am happier working. It gives my life more purpose. I am not getting any younger (53), so I worry about the future now.

HM

• 3 weeks later...

update:

I am going through a phase of about 4 hours per night but last night was only 1.5 hours. It would appear I have months to go before I am consistently sleeping 7 or 8+ hours per night. I will keep you updated on my progress, so you can know another person's insomnia experience coming off Xanax.

I am working part time and it does help my depression and anxiety. Both the money does and the activity.

Take care,

HM

update:

I am going through a phase of about 4 hours per night but last night was only 1.5 hours. It would appear I have months to go before I am consistently sleeping 7 or 8+ hours per night. I will keep you updated on my progress, so you can know another person's insomnia experience coming off Xanax.

I am working part time and it does help my depression and anxiety. Both the money does and the activity.

Take care,

HM

Heartmost. I just went through about two weeks of perceived next to no sleep.  The veteran buddies told me to expect this down the road and to accept it as part of healing.  Just now getting back to my 5 to 6 hours of broken sleep. I am hanging in there with you!  I just finished month 9 post CT.

HM and Newbie,

As you are both painfully aware of, sleep "waves" or "setbacks" can and do occur after sleeping well for days, weeks, or even months.  Just do your best to power through until they even out.

You've got this!  :thumbsup:

Newbie,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It helps me to not feel alone. I am sorry you went through a 2-week period of very little sleep and I am glad you are having a good run at the moment.

Theway2,

You always say just the right thing at the right time. You're the best! This is a long, hard road and you help make it easier.

HM

• 4 weeks later...

Just checking in.

I am going on 6 months and my sleep is still not stable but, as theway2 says, that is just part of the healing process.

I had a 7-hour night a few nights ago, last night was 4 to 5 hours. I have met a few people who have slept 2 to 4 hours for YEARS and just acclimated to it. Seems unreal to me, but I guess it happens.

HM

Hey all..  it's so reassuring to read all your check ins.  Thanks.  At 5 months post jump I feel like my sleep ranges somewhere in the middle of the pack.    Tonight I'm struggling but I've got stuff on my mind.  This last week I'm getting 5 to 6 hours... I'm awake every hour or so, but have been able to drop back to sleep.  I've been ecstatic about that too.

TheWay.... you have vastly reassured me with your generous summary.  It's so easy to lose hope when you've gone through those sleepless patches.  I guess we are all healing  :smitten:

Just days away from going into my 11th month post CT.  Currently at about 6 to 7 hours of sleep waking up about 2 to 3 times.  Takes me about 15 to 20 minutes to fall asleep.  Went into a wave that lasted about two weeks six weeks ago.  Still have tinnitus and infrequent head/neck pressure.  I wrote a letter to myself of when I am sleeping well and feeling good to read to help me pull myself if and most likely the next wave comes in.  Hey, we are making progress!  Every day is one day closer to healing - it just is so crazy how long it takes!

Approaching two years off benzos, sleep is good most nights for me.  I thought this was never going to happen during my first year so I had to put my faith in that those members who had healed said - that it will get better and it has. 

Just days away from going into my 11th month post CT.  Currently at about 6 to 7 hours of sleep waking up about 2 to 3 times.  Takes me about 15 to 20 minutes to fall asleep.  Went into a wave that lasted about two weeks six weeks ago.  Still have tinnitus and infrequent head/neck pressure.  I wrote a letter to myself of when I am sleeping well and feeling good to read to help me pull myself if and most likely the next wave comes in.  Hey, we are making progress!  Every day is one day closer to healing - it just is so crazy how long it takes!

I am in a wave... I was also getting 5,5 to 6,5 hrs most nights for almost 2 months, then I got a wave, its been lasting 4 or 5 weeks (getting worse sleep wise, other re-returned symptoms easing up a bit), and I agree its so hard to believe I was sleeping better, I am glad I kept a log.

Heyilona,

I sent you a PM...this "wave" you're in WILL even out over time.  You're not stuck.  This is Temporary!  :thumbsup:

Heyilona,

I sent you a PM...this "wave" you're in WILL even out over time.  You're not stuck.  This is Temporary!  :thumbsup:

thank you TheWay  ;D although you probably know i will panick message you a whole bunch more times before i am out of the woods for good  ::):o

No worries....that's why I'm here, to offer hope and reassurance and talk you off of the "panic cliff" from time-to-time!  :laugh: