Author Topic: 3.5 months since jumped-Insomnia  (Read 979 times)

[Buddie]

3.5 months since jumped-Insomnia
« on: February 15, 2022, 01:51:05 am »
I jumped 3.5 months ago, and my sleep has consistently been averaging about 5 hours a night. I have had several 8-hour nights but it's not consistent. I was hoping by now I would be at 8 hours every night (or more!) Just like many have told me, it takes MONTHS (or years) to get your sleep back to normal every night. After months of 0 to 2-hour nights, I had my first 8-hour night in August 2021, so I thought I'd be healed by now! Nope. But I am mini-healed since I do get lot's of 4 to 6 hour nights.

Another thing I have recently started to get back is being able to fall back to sleep if I get up to use the restroom. What a blessing. Sometimes it doesn't happen though. Still working on it.

Hang in there if you're struggling with sleep. It does slowly get better. I can't believe that 9 months ago I was taking 4mg Xanax a day and sometimes 6! Crazy! No more Xanax or Ambien for me!

[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: 3.5 months since jumped-Insomnia
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 02:05:27 am »
I am up to 6 hours of sleep and I only wake up about 4 to 5 times.  This is on almost 8 months  post CT.  I also am now able to go back to sleep after waking up.  I feel awake but then drift off and then check and 1.5 hours have passed.  Although my sleep watch only records about 1 hour of deep sleep, I definitely feel my nights are getting “shorter.”  I am sure [...] that this progress gives you hope.  As I was cautioned, if you have a few nights of a relapse, just view it as a sign that your CNS is further adjusting and healing and that we are still progressing.  I am happy for your progress.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 01:05:22 pm »
[...],

That is fantastic at only 3.5 months out from your CT.  At 3.5 months out from my CT I entered the dark realm of severe insomnia and was averaging 5-10 hours of sleep per week with lots and lots of zero nights...keep up the great healing and recovery!

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 06:26:55 pm »
Newbie, Thanks for the note! We are close to getting the same amount of sleep. Last night was 6 or 7 hours. It's slow but sure! I just had a zero night a few nights ago, so I still have a way to go.

Thway2, Thanks for stopping by and giving me props! I know you really, really suffered with insomnia for a long while with your CT. I thought, after my first 8-hour night in August 2021, that I would be sleeping 10 hours a night by now! But I am still averaging 4 to 5 hours with the occasional zero and occasional 8.

Happy Tuesday!

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 03:16:41 pm »
Hi [...]!

Thank you for posting your sleep progress. I currently sleep an average of 5 hours to 7 hours as well. Your experiences have helped me a lot. I'm sure we will win :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 04:59:08 am »
Just like many have told me, it takes MONTHS (or years) to get your sleep back to normal every night. After months of 0 to 2-hour nights, I had my first 8-hour night in August 2021, so I thought I'd be healed by now! Nope. But I am mini-healed since I do get lot's of 4 to 6 hour nights.

You are so right [...]. I was in the 2-4 hours a WEEK club for almost a year after jumping. I moved on to 2-4, at 12 months, then 4-6 at 16 months, 6-8 at 18 months to 7-8 regularly at about the 2 year mark. Four years later and I can still remember that misery. So glad it is behind you as well. It keeps getting better!

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 11:02:42 am »
My pattern the first year was to sleep 1-3 hours the first night and then I was so exhausted the next night I would sleep 6-7 hours.  I came to dread those every-other-nights where I didn't sleep.  Thankfully, at 20 months off benzos, this pattern is over and I am consistently sleeping well! 

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 02:03:42 pm »
I too went on a pattern of ZERO sleep one night and then 4-5 hours the next night for about 2-3 months before I started getting consecutive nights of sleep,  My sleep eventually went to 2, 3, 4, 5 and even 6 nights in a row for about 4-7 hours each night. I averaged 1 bad night per week and was ecstatic!  As more time passed, my sleep progressed to sleeping every night with an off night of sleep every month or two.  Now I can go for years (literally) with good sleep with maybe a poor night 6 - 10 times per year!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2022, 04:47:20 pm »
Thanks for all of your replies. I appreciate it. I am still in the same spot as when I started this thread last month.
About 2 weeks ago, I went almost a week not getting more than 3 hours of sleep but now, in the last 5 nights, I have gotten at least 4.5 and up to 7. I am tired during the day. It takes me several hours to 'wake up'. I think I have chronic fatigue syndrome even before the benzos. Maybe I need iron or something. Anyway, I am way better off than I was 6 or 7 months ago but I am kind of stable at 5 hours a night. I see, for some of you, that it was a few YEARS before you consistently got 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night.

I am working now, so it takes my mind off my sleep and other issues for a few hours a day.

Take care

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 06:16:00 pm »
It wasn't years before I got 7-8 hours sleep a night but it was around a year.  I still have nights on occasion where I am restless but even on those nights I tend to get 4-5 hours sleep now.  If I get 5 hours sleep I function reasonably well the next day. 

Congrats on working [...] - distraction and staying busy was one of my best 'weapons' in benzo recovery!