Still can't fall asleep

[St...]

I am 12 months post jump and I still can't fall asleep on my own. My ears ring and I'm having stomach problems and some burning on my right thigh. I still have lightheadedness also. It's just taking its toll on me mentally. I've also had alot of cycling of symptoms lately. I'm hoping that something is about to give.

When you say you can't fall asleep on your own, what are you taking to help that?

Sometimes, for unknown reasons, it takes some people a lot longer than they'd like to get past their Benzo-induced insomnia?

Aston says 6-12 months on average, but some people take 2 or even 3 years for it to even out.  That doesn't mean it's terrible that entire time, but it just takes that long to get consistent, good sleep.

Hang in there, it will even out over time...I know that doesn't help now...

BTW, how much sleep are you averaging each night? 

When you say you can't fall asleep on your own, what are you taking to help that?

Sometimes, for unknown reasons, it takes some people a lot longer than they'd like to get past their Benzo-induced insomnia?

Aston says 6-12 months on average, but some people take 2 or even 3 years for it to even out.  That doesn't mean it's terrible that entire time, but it just takes that long to get consistent, good sleep.

Hang in there, it will even out over time...I know that doesn't help now...

BTW, how much sleep are you averaging each night?

I'm having to alternate Hydroxyzine, Trazedone and Unisom. I do try and sleep without meds in between. , I'm averaging about 5 hrs but it varies. Some nights zero and some nights 5. I only took Benzo's for 3 weeks as needed and then a 2 week taper. I also have a noisy downstairs neighbor, his tv is soo loud and it's usually right at bedtime and I kinda have PTSD over this whole thing , so everything bothers me. Thanks for the reply also.

The best thing I did was buy a pair of headphones and in the first year I slept with them on playing white noise.  My sleep is so much better now I sleep 7-8 hours a night.  I occasionally wake up but just to use the bathroom and go back to sleep with no problem.  You could also play white noise or run a fan in your room.  It will even out the first year was the worst.  Try to not stress about it. Check out Theways success story.

U

The best thing I did was buy a pair of headphones and in the first year I slept with them on playing white noise.  My sleep is so much better now I sleep 7-8 hours a night.  I occasionally wake up but just to use the bathroom and go back to sleep with no problem.  You could also play white noise or run a fan in your room.  It will even out the first year was the worst.  Try to not stress about it. Check out Theways success story.

U

Thanks for the reply

I'm a short-term user too and got hit with some wicked insomnia for about 10 months before it started to even out.  It's amazing and terrible that 3 weeks of use can create such a mess with sleep. 

I found that showing gratitude and trying to be positive, even after a poor night of sleep, will go a long way towards how you get through the next day and your mental health in general.  While being positive and showing gratitude for any and all sleep won't fix your insomnia, it will help you deal with it a lot better. 

You most likely don't have PTSD? A lot of people think they do or did during this, but it's just part of WD.  It is traumatic, but it's all part of the healing and recovery process.  I thought I did too, but after sleep started to return my "PTSD" went away along with the rest of my symptoms.

Good luck.

Hi Mistake, I'm so sorry you're having those sleep issues and have to take different things for them, I'm actually back in the same boat, I was sleeping much better for a while but I'm going through a severe setback from antibiotics and my sleep just got bad again, at this point I'm completely exhausted, dizzy and my internal aka is back(( all because of lack of sleep this past week, so I'm thinking about going on medication too, I was wondering if you think it's okay to take a trazodone only as needed, I do wonder about kindling with that one since it's an AD?

Hi Mistake, I'm so sorry you're having those sleep issues and have to take different things for them, I'm actually back in the same boat, I was sleeping much better for a while but I'm going through a severe setback from antibiotics and my sleep just got bad again, at this point I'm completely exhausted, dizzy and my internal aka is back(( all because of lack of sleep this past week, so I'm thinking about going on medication too, I was wondering if you think it's okay to take a trazodone only as needed, I do wonder about kindling with that one since it's an AD?

Hi KathyM , I'm sorry that you are suffering also. I don't think that you will have a problem taking Trazedone every 3 or 4 days and I don't think you have to worry about kindling because Traz does not work off the GABA receptors.  Hydroxyzine is also safe. It is a antihistamine and has a calming effect. I hope that you recover soon !!

Hi SM, I am sorry to hear you are still having trouble 12 months post, with your sleep. I was taking melatonin, diphenhydramine and Vistaril (hydroxyzine) before I ever even used benzo's. I don't think long-term use is harmful but it's nice to sleep without using anything. I have been taking melatonin for 15 years and kept taking it through my darkest insomnia of 0 to 2 hours per night for months. Do what is best for you to get some rest.

I hope you feel a lot better, with your other symptoms, very soon, too.

HM

Hi SM, I am sorry to hear you are still having trouble 12 months post, with your sleep. I was taking melatonin, diphenhydramine and Vistaril (hydroxyzine) before I ever even used benzo's. I don't think long-term use is harmful but it's nice to sleep without using anything. I have been taking melatonin for 15 years and kept taking it through my darkest insomnia of 0 to 2 hours per night for months. Do what is best for you to get some rest.

I hope you feel a lot better, with your other symptoms, very soon, too.

HM

Thank You for your kind reply.

You're welcome, SM. When I was in the deepest throws of my taper, I had heart pounding, breathlessness (air hunger), dizziness, extreme, extreme fatigue (from lack of sleep) along with terrible insomnia. It gradually got better and it still getting better as the months go by. Hang in there as your mind and body heal from benzo's. They really wreak havoc on you and take their toll. It's been 3.5 months since I jumped, and I know it will take several more months to be completely healed.

Take care, my friend.

HM

Hi KathyM , I'm sorry that you are suffering also. I don't think that you will have a problem taking Trazedone every 3 or 4 days and I don't think you have to worry about kindling because Traz does not work off the GABA receptors.  Hydroxyzine is also safe. It is a antihistamine and has a calming effect. I hope that you recover soon !!

thank you, healing thoughts to you too  :smitten:

You're welcome, SM. When I was in the deepest throws of my taper, I had heart pounding, breathlessness (air hunger), dizziness, extreme, extreme fatigue (from lack of sleep) along with terrible insomnia. It gradually got better and it still getting better as the months go by. Hang in there as your mind and body heal from benzo's. They really wreak havoc on you and take their toll. It's been 3.5 months since I jumped, and I know it will take several more months to be completely healed.

Take care, my friend.

HM

Thank You HM ,  I pray speedy healing for you also !!