Been awhile. Caught COVID. Sleep died again.

[Fi...]

How many times have I been through this over the many many years? Yeesh, one gets sick of it. Lack of sleep used to be one of the most horrifying things in my life. I literally thought I was gonna die if I didn't get at least an hour or two in a night. Haha, ah, brutal lessons we go through here.

Anyway. Caught COVID. Was sleeping pretty great for a couple years there. My bad nights were a heavenly 6 hours and I was juuuust starting to nap again. Now my good ol friends the myoclonic jerks are back (and what jerks they are!) And I haven't slept for days. Did I mention I also have COVID? What a stupid body to not sleep while fighting off one of the worst ailments it's ever had. I mean, other than the forced affliction of benzo withdrawal.

Benzos utterly destroyed my ability to take even the most mundane supplement to help with sleep so here I am, lost in the sleepless abyss all over again as this virus plays hopscotch up and down my nervous system. Sleep was okay again but everything else was still pretty rough. You somehow make a life around it. We'll see where I land this time.

At least I'm not scared anymore. I sleep, or I don't. I don't have any fight left, just nihilistic acceptance that my body and brain like so many of us here is so far gone and twisted from default that I have to deal with hell on earth.

It would be nice to sleep though, since I have COVID and all.

Sorry you are going through the sleep BS again.

I caught COVID too after being fully vaccinated and it didn't do anything to my sleep or anything else...but maybe that's because I've been off 5.5 years?

Just like COVID is lethal for a small minority of the population, Benzo WD seems to linger and cause setbacks for a small number of those years after they jump or end their taper.

I had a major sleep setback out of the blue last January and about half of February.  I had several zero nights and a lot of 1-3 hour nights.  This was at 4.5 years off!  I also had a setback at around 32 months off that lasted almost a month and was the same way with zero nights and 1-3 hour nights.

Good luck and hope sleep evens out soon!

FightingFox, I am sorry you are where you are, again. 

Stay strong and recover from the Covid.  Your fight isn't gone, you're just tired and worn down. 

You said everything so well and yes, I've walked in your shoes, except for getting the Covid, so far.  I'm hopeful the two shots plus the booster will keep me from getting it, but who knows.  I'm still wearing a mask when I venture out and hope for the best. 

Like you, Benzos destroyed my ability to take anything to help me sleep. What does work, stops very quickly and there is no longer any going back to try it again.  It's over when it's over. 

Benzos also destroyed my ability to sleep normally. It is just the way it is and after almost 4.5 years, I would be surprised if that changes. 

Now I am recovering from a knee replacement. My second since January of 2021.  The surgery went well and my recovery is going well, except for my knee bending and not straightening out.  My therapist said not to worry yet.  The "fix" is another surgery and starting back at square one.  I'm determined not to go through that again, so my PT is painfully relentless along with muscle spasms all night long. 

No one deserves this, what we are going through, but hopefully, we will survive and recover. 

NG

Maybe I am just very lucky or it is coincidence, but my sleep started returning and improving while I got covid late January.

It may have started improving like a week or so before, but just got way better while I had covid and now after covid still improving.

Might all have nothing to do with covid in my case but thought I would share so people know covid doesnt have to mean your sleep will be ruined again.

I am about 4 weeks out of clonazepam cold turkey. Only used 0,5 mg for 3 weeks and had bad muscle issues, myoclonic jerks, hypnic jerks, anxiety, dp, dr and really bad insomnia. Much better now, 3,5 months was turning point.

• 1 year later...

Maybe I am just very lucky or it is coincidence, but my sleep started returning and improving while I got covid late January.

It may have started improving like a week or so before, but just got way better while I had covid and now after covid still improving.

Might all have nothing to do with covid in my case but thought I would share so people know covid doesnt have to mean your sleep will be ruined again.

I am about 4 weeks out of clonazepam cold turkey. Only used 0,5 mg for 3 weeks and had bad muscle issues, myoclonic jerks, hypnic jerks, anxiety, dp, dr and really bad insomnia. Much better now, 3,5 months was turning point.

Hah poor me it wasnt  a turningpoint just a window that slammed 5,5 months off or so... hasnt been all bad since then, at least 60% bad though, the rest bearable. But here i am nearly 17 months off, covid 2nd time and while its not that much worse than a bad cold this time... i wonder if nearly 2 weeks of really bad sleep, ususlly i get broken  but some ok nights in between, is due to covud or just the next wave.

I feel like i'm reading parts of my story. I am 10 months off after a 3 month taper. I have had periods of really good sleep, broken but at least 6-7 hours. When i got the flu in december the hypnic jerks came back and my sleep got messed up again. I was feeling good about things and then this happened. Anyway, my sleep  recovered ok and then the last 3 nights jerks are back and no sleep. When does this end! I am examining everything i eat that could be contributing to it. I cut out all sugar, gluten, caffeine, processed foods etc. The only meds i take are 40mg of propranolol and 20mg of pantaprozole..........neither are psych meds so i cant imagine they are causing this? I have taken remeron in the past for sleep and it works but i have been off it since sept and dont want to go back on........but i have to work and its hard to do with zero sleep. IDK what to do

Having Covid for the third time now but this time it is not too bad actually.

I am also very well prepared for it now, as i read a lot of information about different medications on Canadian Pharmacy website.

A painkiller or two keep my head clear, nose drops and seawater spay for the nose - all i am taking these days.