8 years - no prescriptions

[Li...]

Hard to believe. So much has happened that's positive in my life. Two kids off to college, one on her way. Maintained employment for the most part throughout, wrote a book, still married. There's a big fat life out there waiting to be lived - take each day as it comes. What's worked for me? taking care of myself, meditation, exercise, alternative self-care, learning to talk things out, asking for help, being there for others (this last one is a work in progress for me). You got this!

A relatively quick cesation from alprazolam was a game-changer for me - I felt the immediate adverse effects right away. The underlying lesson in all this for me to share, take it slow. Hurrying (as difficult as sticking with the plan may be) is to no advantage. Initially, it was most difficult - the first few months. Mostly psychological, a kick in proverbial confidence groin - heightened stress, and associated symptoms, followed by a prolonged hangover of sorts, several years, unfortunately. The point is, through the support of friends and family and a belief in tomorrow I was able to weather it out - and retain my demanding job! Tomorrow does come, each day, week, month... becomes a little bit brighter, and is worth the journey to face, confront, and put in the effort. Eight years out and yes I'm still healing. Minor distractions, ringing in the head, some brain fog, nothing too invasive - but a testament that the body is resilient and, given the chance and a little encouragement, is ever edging its way towards wellness. Knowing that, and seeing that play out for me, was enough of an optimistic boost to keep me going!

• 2 weeks later...
I first ran across BB accidentally when I was in the throes of distress. The reference and ensuing support did not come from my doctor or anyone I knew, but rather, a search query on the internet. And, at the time, I quickly discovered there wasn’t a lot of material out there that was relatable to me - few credible books and scant resources. It wasn’t until I dropped in on one of the BB message boards (thank God) that I connected with someone going through a similar experience. (Still, even to this day, I have a dog-eared copy of Baylissa’s book next to the loo! It was a lifeline and has been a baseline reminder of my journey ever since.) My point, as survivors (nay, thrivers!) —we need to seed hope for those facing similar circumstances—and share our stories (however painful) with those around us—not just here, but in our everyday lives. As I mentioned, I recently published a book about my experience, driven by the calling to fill this gap. And, more and more, people have shared that they know of someone who has benefited from this exchange —someone who otherwise felt isolated and adrift. I remember longing at the time for anyone in my circle of influence, a friend, family, or caregiver, who could say they know a person who went through something similar. Now I can say they do.

thanks for sharing, whats the book name? thats a valuable thing in my pov.. im not well to read a lot yet maybe one day i will , congrats on your efforts

Hi Denizthekid – I see you’ve made tremendous progress on your journey towards wellness – Congrats!!! Keep up the good work.  It is a journey and can take time, which means different things to different people. In addition to feeling isolated, depressed, and scared, I was also angry. So, I garnered these emotions as the impetus to tell my story – I wanted to share while I was still in the muck, not fully healed—to put a face to it for family and friends. It's called “The House I Built” – and is free for those who have kindle unlimited.

Hi Denizthekid – I see you’ve made tremendous progress on your journey towards wellness – Congrats!!! Keep up the good work.  It is a journey and can take time, which means different things to different people. In addition to feeling isolated, depressed, and scared, I was also angry. So, I garnered these emotions as the impetus to tell my story – I wanted to share while I was still in the muck, not fully healed—to put a face to it for family and friends. It's called “The House I Built” – and is free for those who have kindle unlimited.

yes i did, thanks for your words , still is hard but i belive somehow im.going to get better, as difficult as it is.. thanks for reaching out , keep taking good care