Author Topic: Trying to decide about tapering with only Clonazepam versus using Valium  (Read 1012 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Trying to decide about tapering with only Clonazepam versus using Valium
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2022, 10:00:15 pm »
Based on this answer to my question on interdose wd I don't think it's interdose wd. I'm suspecting tolerance or the onset of tolerance. What do you think [...]?

Many days I have symptoms even if I take my pills.  The windows seem to come with no pattern.  Once I went to .5 mg once a day for 3-4 weeks, the symptoms started and were not keyed to when I took my pills.  It's not like taking aspirin for a headache, and the headache disappears.   Returning to the original .5 mg twice a day did not fix the situation.  I never knew how I would feel from day to day (or night to night).
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2022, 10:35:51 pm »
Based on this answer to my question on interdose wd I don't think it's interdose wd. I'm suspecting tolerance or the onset of tolerance. What do you think [...]?

Many days I have symptoms even if I take my pills.  The windows seem to come with no pattern.  Once I went to .5 mg once a day for 3-4 weeks, the symptoms started and were not keyed to when I took my pills.  It's not like taking aspirin for a headache, and the headache disappears.   Returning to the original .5 mg twice a day did not fix the situation.  I never knew how I would feel from day to day (or night to night).

Thanks for letting me know how long you've been back on 1 mg, I agree with jelly, it sounds like tolerance.  Once our body becomes tolerant to the dose we're on our only choice is to increase it to achieve the same effect or taper from it.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2022, 11:02:23 pm »
I was recommended by my doctor to take magnesium daily - 325 mg.  I was looking to buy some.  Do you know if magnesium oxide is the best option?  From what i read, it seems better than magnesium citrate   "Calm" in the flavor contains stevia, which I would rather not take, and in the plain version, there were some comments regarding it containing arsenic.

I can't find a capsule or tablet in 325 mg, but I thought I could start with, e.g., Nature Made 250 mg magnesium oxide, as a start.  Any suggestions?  I'd like to start taking it tomorrow and would buy Nature Made 250mg.  Would like feedback.  Thanks.

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2022, 12:02:47 am »
I don't know anything about supplements except that they can cause problems for some but not for others so whatever you decide I'd start small and only add one at a time.  I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback on the Alternative Therapies & Supplements board, there is always a lot of discussion there. 

[Buddie]

Substitution Taper from Clonazepam - an additional question
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2022, 07:13:00 pm »
I am still researching Clonazepam tapering.  If I want to try to first go from 1 mg a day to .5, would doing a Valium taper create a dependency on Valium rather than Clonazepam?  Is there another substitution drug instead that would be gentler and easier to go off if I want to after the taper?  How does a very slow Clonazepam taper with no substitute compare? 

[Buddie]

Re: Substitution Taper from Clonazepam - an additional question
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2022, 07:26:59 pm »
Clonazepam is one of the longer acting benzo's so most members will taper directly from it, those who cross over to Valium typically take one of the shorter acting like Ativan or Xanax.  Since making the cross to another benzo can be challenging, I feel it's best to see how you handle a direct taper first.  Some members experience depression and sedation with Valium that usually leaves when they acclimate to it however, some people end up going back to their original benzo.

As for dependency, all benzodiazepines share a similar mechanism of action as well as a similar chemical structure but this doesn't mean they have the same properties.  Differences include effect profile, potency, bioavailability, onset of action, duration of action, half-life, how they are metabolized and solubility in different solvents.  However, all benzodiazepines can cause tolerance and dependency.

Valium is considered to be the smoothest drug to taper from because it stays in your body longer allowing you to avoid inter-dose symptoms but there really isn't an easier softer way to rid ourselves of this drug, pretty much all of our options present challenges.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 10:33:21 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2022, 06:18:17 am »
Clonazepam is one of the longer acting benzo's so most members will taper directly from it, those who cross over to Valium typically take one of the shorter acting like Ativan or Xanax.  Since making the cross to another benzo can be challenging, I feel it's best to see how you handle a direct taper first.  Some members experience depression and sedation with Valium that usually leaves when they acclimate to it however, some people end up going back to their original benzo.

As for dependency, all benzodiazepines share a similar mechanism of action as well as a similar chemical structure but this doesn't mean they have the same properties.  Differences include effect profile, potency, bioavailability, onset of action, duration of action, half-life, how they are metabolized and solubility in different solvents.  However, all benzodiazepines can cause tolerance and dependency.

Valium is considered to be the smoothest drug to taper from because it stays in your body longer allowing you to avoid inter-dose symptoms but there really isn't an easier softer way to rid ourselves of this drug, pretty much all of our options present challenges.

I do believe I have inerdose wd, would I be better to switch to Valium and if it doesn't go well can you go back to other benzo? I get very little relief and even though I'm dosing 4 times a day I still get very anxious between doses.

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2022, 12:00:41 am »

I do believe I have inerdose wd, would I be better to switch to Valium and if it doesn't go well can you go back to other benzo? I get very little relief and even though I'm dosing 4 times a day I still get very anxious between doses.

Do you have a doctor willing to prescribe it?

[Buddie]

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2022, 01:23:39 am »

I have some from when old doc tried direct switch

[Buddie]

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2022, 01:04:36 pm »

I have some from when old doc tried direct switch

If you'd like to start a thread of your own here we can talk about it.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=61.0