Author Topic: Trying to decide about tapering with only Clonazepam versus using Valium  (Read 1013 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Trying to decide about tapering with only Clonazepam versus using Valium
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 01:15:16 am »
I'm not fully familiar with tolerance.  I'd like to know more about it and your experience with tolerance.    I do know my symptoms started with the cutting of my dose by half for a few weeks.  And the clonazepam no longer worked the way it had for 14 years.  I'd like your thoughts about how I can distinguish between the withdrawal I got after the 4 weeks and tolerance, and if tolerance, when it might have started during the past months since that time.

And yes, i was referring to your microtapering. 
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 01:40:27 am »
Here is an article on tolerance that explains it very simplistically: https://www.benzoinfo.com/2016/09/08/benzodiazepine-tolerance-why-are-my-symptoms-getting-worse-on-my-medication/

I can't say for sure I was in tolerance, but I'm suspecting I was starting to build tolerance. When I was first put on Clonazepam it knocked me out and I slept very well. A year later I struggled really badly with insomnia to a point I was taking high doses antihistamines to help me sleep. The only explanation I have is that the drug was not having the same effect anymore (even though I didn't take it for insomnia, it caused it).

The same with anxiety. I never used to get panic attacks and suddenly it just started happening.

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2022, 02:08:20 am »
I looked at the gradual tapering schedule you had listed.  Did you get any symptoms of note from those small gradual lessenings of your medication?

Microtapering seems to work better for me than cut and hold. I still get symptoms and feel sick most of the time, but it feels better to me than cut and hold. The downside to microtapering is because you make smaller cuts over a longer period of time it is difficult to determine whether the % of cut is too big as it takes much longer to fully realize the cut. At least that's what happens with me.

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2022, 02:22:57 am »
Thanks for the article.  During the microtapering, did your symptoms get better to some degree at some point?  Are you done with symptoms at this point?

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2022, 02:37:13 am »
My symptoms mostly stayed the same as I progressed through microtapering but I have tapered at the higher percentages. My symptoms were tolerable but I felt sick. Then around 0.4mg I crashed (my symptoms increased and it was too much for me, so I had to hold my dose). I then slowed right down to 5% every two weeks. At 5% the intensity of my symptoms didn't feel any different than when I was tapering at 7%. I guess if I go all the way down to 2% I probably will be somewhat symptom free but this means a taper of 2-3 years to get off the last bit and I'm not willing to do that. So while I'm functional and I can tolerate my symptoms, I'll go at a higher rate than 2% even though I'm not feeling that well.

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2022, 05:27:34 pm »
I have a dr. who says who specializes in benzo addiction and withdrawal, calling tomorrow for a consultation.  She recommends a Valium taper.  I really don't know what to do. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2022, 05:41:01 pm »
Crossing over to another benzo comes with challenges, Valium is known for sedation as well as depression until you adapt to it so most people need a good reason to cross over like interdose withdrawal.  Some people aren't able to make the cross and have to return to their original benzo.

Are you dealing with interdose?

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2022, 05:50:53 pm »
I'm not sure how to tell.  Since the stop from .5mg twice a day to .5mg a day for a few weeks due to my dr.'s being difficult about the prescription at the time, I have had difficult withdrawal symptoms ever since with only a few brief windows.  I'd like to know if I have interdose withdrawal.  Thanks.

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2022, 07:15:05 pm »
Before we discuss interdose, can you tell me how long you've been back on .5 mg twice a day?

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2022, 09:02:48 pm »
I've been back on .5mg twice a day for about 6 1/2 months.