How long does it take to get over anxiety

[Do...]

I have run out of pills a week.  How long does it take to get over the anxiety.

Nobody can tell you for certain how long the anxiety lasts, because everyone’s circumstances are different. Mine was intense for 2 weeks, nonstop. Not a moment of peace or relaxation except for when I would pass out from exhaustion for 1-2 hours. After that, the anxiety started to decrease a little bit. But I also quit c/t and never reinstated. I know that starting and stopping can definitely affect how bad your w/d process is. I know there are people still suffering with anxiety many months out from things. The important part is that it DOES pass, it just takes time.

No one knows how long it will take but anxiety could last for some time after doing a CT...

It all  depends on the person and if anxiety was the reason for going on Benzos in the first place?

Pre-existing conditions are not healed during healing and recovery from Benzo WD, but most are in a position to deal with them a lot better as they develop coping skills during WD

• 2 weeks later...

I have been off the pills for 17 days.  I am having bad insomnia and anxiety.  I have been drinking as I panic if I don't drink.

I can't get a hold of my brother and afraid his girlfriend has cut me off from him.  I am going to ask the doctor for Ativan for my anxiety.

Dom81 - unfortunately, insomnia and intense anxiety are par for the course for many people. Drinking and meds may give you temporary relief, emphasis on temporary, but basically sets you back and doesn't change the cold, hard truth. As hard as it is to face, you will have to pay the price of feeling like sh*t long enough for your body to adjust. I've been where you are now. I am also standing on the other side and being healed is wonderful. Make up your mind that you are going to go for it, assemble whatever resources you can muster in terms of support like family, friends, etc. and ride it out. It will be so worth it.

Also - read the Success Stories section for inspiration and for proof of what I am saying.

You can do this.

I have been off the sleeping pills 18 days

The doctor won't give me any sleeping pills as i asked him to take me off them

I don't have enough support as I only have my sister to call.  My brother had a stroke and he was letting me live there since my mom died, but then we got in an argument and I can't stay there again.  I have no friends as my best friend died.

I am glad to be off the sleeping pills as I was always afraid of running out.

I have been off the pills for 17 days.  I am having bad insomnia and anxiety.  I have been drinking as I panic if I don't drink.

I can't get a hold of my brother and afraid his girlfriend has cut me off from him.  I am going to ask the doctor for Ativan for my anxiety.

Do you know that Ativan and Temazepam are both benzodiazepines used to treat anxiety?  If you ask your doctor for Ativan you will essentially be taking another benzo, are you sure you want to do this?  It thought it was your hope to be free of these drugs?

Well I don't think the doctor will give it to me any way.  I took Ativan about five times since my mom died, but most of the doctors only gave me 5 pills.  My sister wants me off all pills.  I will try the lemon balm

I don't think the doctor will give me Ativan.  I took Ativan about 5 times, but most of the doctors only gave me 5 pills.  I was never

addicted to Ativan as the doctors will only give me 5 pills.  My sister wants me off all pills.  I will try to rake lemon balm.

Dom, I can imagine how bad you're feeling, but it will get better.  I felt terrible too when I was off for less than a month.  It will get better.  You'll be alright.

I have been off the sleeping pills 18 days

The doctor won't give me any sleeping pills as i asked him to take me off them

I don't have enough support as I only have my sister to call.  My brother had a stroke and he was letting me live there since my mom died, but then we got in an argument and I can't stay there again.  I have no friends as my best friend died.

I am glad to be off the sleeping pills as I was always afraid of running out.

If you really need something and can’t ride it out, maybe mention propranolol to your doctor.  It can take the edge off some.  Won’t work like a benzo but can help.

Hello - I feel for you.  My advice is this and I am just being realistic.  This is only my learning experience during this hell as I am no doctor.

As many have said.

1.  Everyone is different and you CANNOT take anyone's comments or responses and apply them to your situation.  Including mine.  :)

2.  Anxiety can and most likely will stick around for a long time.  Especially if you had it prior.  You need to learn how to make lifestyle changes to deal with it now.

3.  With lifestyle changes, I mean making changes to alleviate the stress and triggers that bring it on.  Change your way of thinking.  This takes time and work.

4.  Stress is a major contributor to anxiety so working on number 3 above is key.

:thumbsup:

Hingie

I still deal with anxiety at 27 months out but have made changes to my lifestyle and the way I deal with things.  Remember, this does not mean that you will NEVER get high anxiety, but, you will have changed the way you deal with the triggers.

Last thing is time.  It can take a few years for healing to come.  Patience is key.

Hello - I feel for you.  My advice is this and I am just being realistic.  This is only my learning experience during this hell as I am no doctor.

As many have said.

1.  Everyone is different and you CANNOT take anyone's comments or responses and apply them to your situation.  Including mine.  :)

2.  Anxiety can and most likely will stick around for a long time.  Especially if you had it prior.  You need to learn how to make lifestyle changes to deal with it now.

3.  With lifestyle changes, I mean making changes to alleviate the stress and triggers that bring it on.  Change your way of thinking.  This takes time and work.

4.  Stress is a major contributor to anxiety so working on number 3 above is key.

:thumbsup:

Hingie

I still deal with anxiety at 27 months out but have made changes to my lifestyle and the way I deal with things.  Remember, this does not mean that you will NEVER get high anxiety, but, you will have changed the way you deal with the triggers.

Last thing is time.  It can take a few years for healing to come.  Patience is key.

Incredibly well said, Hingie!

I think one of the most important things I ever read was something along the lines of this:

Once you learn that you can’t control when anxiety happens, or when a panic attack happens, you can better learn to deal with them. You can’t stop them, so don’t try to. Instead, focus your efforts on learning how to cope with them. Learn ways of talking yourself through them, or coping with them when they do happen.

It’s very hard to accept that you can’t change it or magically make it go away. I had anxiety and panic attacks well before my Benzos, so I totally get it. I have to remind myself EVERY time, “you haven’t died from a panic attack, yet. Calm down.” The chemical anxiety during the w/d’s though? That’s something that DEFINITELY can help you learn better coping mechanisms to use in the future. I have weird ticks that help me through mine. Things I do religiously when I’m panicking.

I hear you.  I did have anxiety or panic attacks prior but very stressed out at home and my job.  I addition, I was caring.for my mom who was at the end of life stage.  Plus taking care of my dad.

Here I went to my doctor to see if there was something I could do to help manage it bit little did I know he was giving me poison.

Anyway, I figure with time, I will get back to normal but this whole process is just plain disgusting

Take care and be safe.

Hingie

• 1 month later...

71 year old man. I took .05 mg of Xanax for 15 years. I, also drank in moderation. For over a decade I have dealt with various autoimmune illnesses including, Sjogrens, fibre neuropathy, acid reflux, migraines, aura migraines, Tinnitus, rhynauds etc.

I wish I had never heard of benzos.  I am dealing with high anxiety. I am not certain how much is PAWS and how much is autoimmune stress.  I have been off the low dose Xanax for 11 months.

Been a bit rough lately,

Rcristal

Anxiety never goes away. Everybody has it. It is a part of life. Not everyone develops an anxiety disorder tho where it bothers you so bad until you seek medical treatment for it. Hopefully, that will go away but you must find other non-drug ways to cope when it comes up in your life from time to time as it will.

I do think some ppl are more predisposed than others due to probably genetics.