RShack - two years off benzos!

[RS...]

I did it, no ambien or ativan for 2 years!  I'm about ready to declare myself healed as I have much improved concentration and energy.  I still have some troubles falling asleep some nights, but not that often.  I still get some very brief waves...meaning just a few hours, but otherwise I do not think about benzos. 

I do not come back here much as I really have no reason to.  But when I do, I am reminded of how I suffered.  So in that spirit, let me share some thoughts for those who are still suffering, or do not think they will ever be free.  (I know I never thought I could break free, but I did!)

I had multiple failed starts. For a couple of years I tried to break free of these pills, but it never lasted.  I would feel ashamed to get my prescription refilled and tell myself "this is the last refill I will get", but I always went back.  So do not feel bad if you had a lot of false starts.  I needed to learn about Benzo withdrawl and if you are reading this and just trying to break free, you are ahead of where I was back then.

I did not taper properly. My Doctor's recommended taper had me skip days towards the end and this is not the optimal method.  But who cares, I broke free and doing a perfect taper does not mean you will just have minor symptoms.  The only way out is long and difficult.  Doing a proper taper helps, but don't beat yourself up about it. 

What I did do properly was:

Seek help.  I found a good therapist, a good Doctor, and good people on this site!

Listen to my body.  When I felt worn out, I took a hot lavender bath, when I wanted something sweet, I ate it.  If I felt tired and worn out, I took a rest...I did a lot of this.

Limit negative stimuli.  I shut off the news, got off of social media, etc.  These just feed negative thoughts to your already suffering brain.  I kept this as a permanent habit by the way!

Be patient and forgiving towards myself.  Ok, I could do better here. I still do stupid things and that negative voice in my head reminds me of all my failures.  I gotta do better at shutting that idiot up!

So for those still struggling, keep fighting and don't beat yourself up if you fail or make mistakes.  Pick yourself back up and go at it again.  I want to read YOUR success story here.

Absolutely wonderful post, thank you for letting us know how you are and what worked.  I especially appreciate hearing about the challenges you faced when beginning your journey, we can heal despite no matter how we go about this.  :thumbsup:

[27...]
Congrats on your 2 year!! I know its been hell but we do really heal. I am almost 2 years out but still have brain nerve damage that still needs to heal. I am hoping in another year Ill be close to healed or healed so i can finally write my success story to help inspire others. I agree with you saying staying off the social media platform because it definitely can hinder us and keep us at a certain place.

Hi finallyhealing! 

Congratulations to you on making it this far.  Even though you aren’t fully healed, at least you are off of these drugs and so you aren’t causing further damage.  I wish you a speedy recovery!

• 1 month later...

I am now 2 years and almost 2 months off of Benzos.

I just had my yearly checkup...well it's been two years due to covid...and I cannot believe how much healthier I am now that I am free from Benzos.

With my energy levels back up, I am able to exercise and so I lost some weight.  This caused my blood work and blood pressure to improve tremendously.

I never thought I would make it this far.

If you are doubting yourself, and this journey, dont!  Stay the course and break free, you will not regret it!