Magnesium glycinate

[oc...]

So I am coming up on 18 months being off the topamax that I was taking - I started my taper 3.5 years ago and the insomnia ( which has been horrific ) is still with me.

Starting last Feb there have been times where I get a month or so of sleep which has me sleeping 4-5 hours - then i go right back into horibble waves that takes months to clear during these waves I am lucky 3-4 hours of sleep and there are 2-3 nights of zero sleep a week. To even get that 3-4 hours of sleep I have to lay in bed for 4-5 hours before I actually fall asleep. These last few months my insomnia has been as bad as its ever been with multiple nights a week with zero sleep.

Ill get to the point - I have tried taking magnesium multiple times but I never really looked into what kind of magnesium that is good - i think I was taking magnesium citrate or someting.... I came across some info and found that magnesium glycinate is the best for sleep so my wife ordered me a bottle. I started with 3 capsules a day and right off my sleep improved. I have been takign the magnesium now for about a week and a half and my sleep has improved immensely. Where it used to take me anywhere from 5-7 hours to fall asleep only to sleep for an hour or two I am now falling asleep in 1.5 - 2 hours and I am sleep anywhere from 5-7 hours.

I did have one night a couple nights ago where i only got 1 hour of sleep but i think thats because I ate a piece of toast for a snack and I knew at the time it would keep me up. But the rest of the time I have been sleeping quite well considering what I have been sleep.

Now, who knows how long this sleep will last for - I am hoping it lasts for a while. I just others on this forum would like to hear about this and maybe try it for themselves.

Thanks  :)

It’s more the glycine than the magnesium, for me it makes my brain fog and fatigue so bad even the day after (but I don’t have any problem in sleeping, if anything I’m the opposite having bad fatigue)

It’s more the glycine than the magnesium, for me it makes my brain fog and fatigue so bad even the day after (but I don’t have any problem in sleeping, if anything I’m the opposite having bad fatigue)

I dont have any weird side effects from it. I have been feeling pretty good that I am getting some sleep. I dont know much about magnesium so I will have to see how long i can take it - or if i need to break from it now and then. Not sure if it will stop working at some point - i hope it doesnt.

[3d...]

I dont have any weird side effects from it. I have been feeling pretty good that I am getting some sleep. I dont know much about magnesium so I will have to see how long i can take it - or if i need to break from it now and then. Not sure if it will stop working at some point - i hope it doesnt.

I have been using the Aspartate form of Magnesium almost every night for the past 15 years, even thru my W/D and I never got side effects from it. It always helped me get better Deep and REM sleep. It's not really something the body can build tolerance for, since it's just a mineral.

If you guys are afraid of the Glycinate form, you can try the Aspartate form (I used a supplement called ZMA - Zinc Magnesium Aspartates), or you can try the Threonate version (I've never tried this one though)

I have been using the Aspartate form of Magnesium almost every night for the past 15 years, even thru my W/D and I never got side effects from it. It always helped me get better Deep and REM sleep. It's not really something the body can build tolerance for, since it's just a mineral.

If you guys are afraid of the Glycinate form, you can try the Aspartate form (I used a supplement called ZMA - Zinc Magnesium Aspartates), or you can try the Threonate version (I've never tried this one though)

I appreciate the reply. This has worked decently for the last week or so but the last couple nights have been rough again for sleep. I only took 700 mg of mag gly yesterday instead of the 1050 mg i had been taking and I was up all night pretty much. So Im just gonna have to see if this works everynight or if it stops having an effect on my sleep after using it for a while.

True, but the energy isn't necessarily the kind that you get from caffeine or that would keep you awake at night...The website that sells it touts it for Relax/Sleep Support and I have no issues with it....Check out NutraMedix

[3d...]

Magnesium Malate works pretty well too...

Funny, I just bought a time released mag malate I'm going to try for a while, as well as a time resealed potassium.

So after some more time I have found that if I take 3 of these throughout the day then i sleep pretty well or what is well for me considering that I am lucky to get 2 hours without it. There has been a couple times where i only take two and I am up all night - on the back of the bottle they recommend 4 a day.

Im not crazy having to take something for sleep and I wonder if taking  these will mess up my recovery and healing since most sleep medicine affect recovery.

If anyone knows if a supplement like this magnesium can affect recovery let me know

Thanks

[3d...]

So after some more time I have found that if I take 3 of these throughout the day then i sleep pretty well or what is well for me considering that I am lucky to get 2 hours without it. There has been a couple times where i only take two and I am up all night - on the back of the bottle they recommend 4 a day.

Im not crazy having to take something for sleep and I wonder if taking  these will mess up my recovery and healing since most sleep medicine affect recovery.

If anyone knows if a supplement like this magnesium can affect recovery let me know

Thanks

I asked Marigold1 to reply to your question. Hopefully we'll get an answer soon.

Thanks

I asked Marigold1 to reply to your question. Hopefully we'll get an answer soon.

Ok thanks  :)

Ocean,

IMO, I doubt that taking magnesium nightly is going to mess up your recovery?  If it isn't messing with or causing any other symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  The bigger worry would be developing a psychological dependence to it and not a physical dependence, but you could easily wean off of magnesium down the road if you felt that you needed to.

Ocean,

IMO, I doubt that taking magnesium nightly is going to mess up your recovery?  If it isn't messing with or causing any other symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  The bigger worry would be developing a psychological dependence to it and not a physical dependence, but you could easily wean off of magnesium down the road if you felt that you needed to.

I apperciate your replay and thoughts - hopefully i will continue to take mag and not have side effects - as of right now its the only thing that seems to help my insomnia although I told it yesterday and only slept 4 or so hours.

thanks

I know 4 hours isn't ideal, but a lot of folks on this page would love 4 hours and I'm not saying that to shame you in any way.  It's all perspective.  I don't like the 4 hour nights that I get every month or 2 either, but I'll gladly take them over a 1 hour or less night...I know it's tough, but please try to be thankful and grateful for any and all sleep that you get...not because I say you should, but because it's been proven that showing gratitude helps with your overall mindset and mental health the next day or days.

I highly doubt long-term magnesium use will come with any side effects or problems?

[3d...]

Ocean,

I apperciate your replay and thoughts - hopefully i will continue to take mag and not have side effects - as of right now its the only thing that seems to help my insomnia although I told it yesterday and only slept 4 or so hours.

thanks

I know I have used Magnesium, and am still using Magnesium now. I use the Aspartate form though.

I'm not sure about the Glycinate part, as I've seen other buddies complain about setbacks with Glycinate. Have you tried Aspartate or Threonate?

I usually don't go over 300mg either, but I usually take it all in one shot, right before bedtime.

I occasionally take Magnesium too and it is the glycinate/lysinate chelated type.  Some nights I am so tired I never take it and sleep very well.  Some nights, even when taking it, it doesn't make much of a difference in helping me to get to sleep or stay asleep.  So overall, I am not sure if it is playing any sort of role with my sleep?  I found this:

Magnesium Aspartate: This form has increased bioavailability compared to oxide and citrate. There were some promising clinical trials conducted in the 1960s that found a combination of magnesium and potassium aspartates had a positive effect on fatigue and they reduced muscle hyper-excitability.2 Physiologically this makes sense since both magnesium and aspartic acid are critical players in cellular energy production. This form is not commonly found but has been used for chronic fatigue syndrome.

Magnesium Glycinate: Glycine is a well-known calming amino acid. This combination has good bioavailability and does not have a laxative effect since glycine is actively transported through the intestinal wall. Due to the calming and relaxing effect of both glycine and magnesium, this combination has been used successfully for chronic pain and muscle hyper tonicity.3

Magnesium Malate: This less well-known combination has been studied for use in fibromyalgia. Since malate is a substrate in the cellular energy cycle, it can help improve ATP production; there is some preliminary evidence that it may reduce muscle pain and tender points in fibromyalgia patients.4

2) Nagle FJ, Balke B, Ganslen RV, Davis AW. The mitigation of physical fatigue with “Spartase”. FAA Office of Aviation Medicine Reports. Rep Civ Aeromed Res Inst US. 1963 Jul;26:1-10.

3) Lamontagne C, Sewell JA, Vaillancourt R, Kuhzarani C, (2012) Rapid Resolution of Chronic Back Pain with Magnesium Glycinate in a Pediatric Patient. J Pain Relief 1:101

4) Abraham GE, Flechas JD. Management of Fibromyalgia: Rationale for the Use of Magnesium and Malic Acid. Journal of Nutritional Medicine (1992) 3, 49-59.

It's possible that your body processes magnesium glycinate very slowly so what you take one day is still in your blood the next day and continues to induce a "calming" effect that you recognize as being tired?  Just guessing...I have no way to prove this.

I tried the magnesium citrate last night.  I cannot believe i slept 8 hours straight through. I m going to try the other versions immediately just to see if there is less brain fog tiredness. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH . The forum is wonderful.  I m even managing to post properly! Bri ps I have to change my profile.  I switched to 50 mg of valium and going slowly.

• 1 month later...

So im a couple months into this with the magnesium and I have to say I am getting way more sleep than I was before I started taking it.

The real test will be to see if I keep sleeping past the mid point of april because I had a window last year during this same time that lasted from about late feb to mid april and then I have another wave that lasted for months.

So I if I can keep sleeping past april then I will be pretty confident that the mag is doing its thing -