Author Topic: Magnesium glycinate  (Read 1375 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Magnesium glycinate
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2022, 05:51:22 pm »
I occasionally take Magnesium too and it is the glycinate/lysinate chelated type.  Some nights I am so tired I never take it and sleep very well.  Some nights, even when taking it, it doesn't make much of a difference in helping me to get to sleep or stay asleep.  So overall, I am not sure if it is playing any sort of role with my sleep?  I found this:

Magnesium Aspartate: This form has increased bioavailability compared to oxide and citrate. There were some promising clinical trials conducted in the 1960s that found a combination of magnesium and potassium aspartates had a positive effect on fatigue and they reduced muscle hyper-excitability.2 Physiologically this makes sense since both magnesium and aspartic acid are critical players in cellular energy production. This form is not commonly found but has been used for chronic fatigue syndrome.

Magnesium Glycinate: Glycine is a well-known calming amino acid. This combination has good bioavailability and does not have a laxative effect since glycine is actively transported through the intestinal wall. Due to the calming and relaxing effect of both glycine and magnesium, this combination has been used successfully for chronic pain and muscle hyper tonicity.3

Magnesium Malate: This less well-known combination has been studied for use in fibromyalgia. Since malate is a substrate in the cellular energy cycle, it can help improve ATP production; there is some preliminary evidence that it may reduce muscle pain and tender points in fibromyalgia patients.4

2) Nagle FJ, Balke B, Ganslen RV, Davis AW. The mitigation of physical fatigue with “Spartase”. FAA Office of Aviation Medicine Reports. Rep Civ Aeromed Res Inst US. 1963 Jul;26:1-10.
3) Lamontagne C, Sewell JA, Vaillancourt R, Kuhzarani C, (2012) Rapid Resolution of Chronic Back Pain with Magnesium Glycinate in a Pediatric Patient. J Pain Relief 1:101
4) Abraham GE, Flechas JD. Management of Fibromyalgia: Rationale for the Use of Magnesium and Malic Acid. Journal of Nutritional Medicine (1992) 3, 49-59.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 06:04:17 pm by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2022, 07:23:05 pm »
Does someone of you guys know why when I take magnesium glycinate i feel tired also the day after? Tired and more foggy
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2022, 07:50:22 pm »
It's possible that your body processes magnesium glycinate very slowly so what you take one day is still in your blood the next day and continues to induce a "calming" effect that you recognize as being tired?  Just guessing...I have no way to prove this.

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2022, 06:50:27 am »
I tried the magnesium citrate last night.  I cannot believe i slept 8 hours straight through. I m going to try the other versions immediately just to see if there is less brain fog tiredness. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH . The forum is wonderful.  I m even managing to post properly! [...] ps I have to change my profile.  I switched to 50 mg of valium and going slowly.

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2022, 01:08:51 am »
So im a couple months into this with the magnesium and I have to say I am getting way more sleep than I was before I started taking it.

The real test will be to see if I keep sleeping past the mid point of april because I had a window last year during this same time that lasted from about late feb to mid april and then I have another wave that lasted for months.

So I if I can keep sleeping past april then I will be pretty confident that the mag is doing its thing -

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2022, 11:45:40 am »
So im a couple months into this with the magnesium and I have to say I am getting way more sleep than I was before I started taking it.

The real test will be to see if I keep sleeping past the mid point of april because I had a window last year during this same time that lasted from about late feb to mid april and then I have another wave that lasted for months.

So I if I can keep sleeping past april then I will be pretty confident that the mag is doing its thing -

Did it start to help right away, or did it take time?