Author Topic: Magnesium glycinate  (Read 1349 times)

[Buddie]

Magnesium glycinate
« on: February 08, 2022, 12:19:03 am »
So I am coming up on 18 months being off the topamax that I was taking - I started my taper 3.5 years ago and the insomnia ( which has been horrific ) is still with me.

Starting last Feb there have been times where I get a month or so of sleep which has me sleeping 4-5 hours - then i go right back into horibble waves that takes months to clear during these waves I am lucky 3-4 hours of sleep and there are 2-3 nights of zero sleep a week. To even get that 3-4 hours of sleep I have to lay in bed for 4-5 hours before I actually fall asleep. These last few months my insomnia has been as bad as its ever been with multiple nights a week with zero sleep.

Ill get to the point - I have tried taking magnesium multiple times but I never really looked into what kind of magnesium that is good - i think I was taking magnesium citrate or someting.... I came across some info and found that magnesium glycinate is the best for sleep so my wife ordered me a bottle. I started with 3 capsules a day and right off my sleep improved. I have been takign the magnesium now for about a week and a half and my sleep has improved immensely. Where it used to take me anywhere from 5-7 hours to fall asleep only to sleep for an hour or two I am now falling asleep in 1.5 - 2 hours and I am sleep anywhere from 5-7 hours.

I did have one night a couple nights ago where i only got 1 hour of sleep but i think thats because I ate a piece of toast for a snack and I knew at the time it would keep me up. But the rest of the time I have been sleeping quite well considering what I have been sleep.

Now, who knows how long this sleep will last for - I am hoping it lasts for a while. I just others on this forum would like to hear about this and maybe try it for themselves.

Thanks  :)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Magnesium glycinate
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 12:52:13 am »
What is the dosage per capsule? 
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 01:35:28 am »
Itís more the glycine than the magnesium, for me it makes my brain fog and fatigue so bad even the day after (but I donít have any problem in sleeping, if anything Iím the opposite having bad fatigue)

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 02:46:43 am »
What is the dosage per capsule?

350 mg

i think the directions said to take 4 a day ( I could be wrong) but i taking 3

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 02:48:37 am »
Itís more the glycine than the magnesium, for me it makes my brain fog and fatigue so bad even the day after (but I donít have any problem in sleeping, if anything Iím the opposite having bad fatigue)

I dont have any weird side effects from it. I have been feeling pretty good that I am getting some sleep. I dont know much about magnesium so I will have to see how long i can take it - or if i need to break from it now and then. Not sure if it will stop working at some point - i hope it doesnt.

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 05:31:57 am »

I dont have any weird side effects from it. I have been feeling pretty good that I am getting some sleep. I dont know much about magnesium so I will have to see how long i can take it - or if i need to break from it now and then. Not sure if it will stop working at some point - i hope it doesnt.

I have been using the Aspartate form of Magnesium almost every night for the past 15 years, even thru my W/D and I never got side effects from it. It always helped me get better Deep and REM sleep. It's not really something the body can build tolerance for, since it's just a mineral.

If you guys are afraid of the Glycinate form, you can try the Aspartate form (I used a supplement called ZMA - Zinc Magnesium Aspartates), or you can try the Threonate version (I've never tried this one though)

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 12:48:23 pm »
I just bought the threonate version because it seems its better for brain fog and fatigue

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 11:00:28 am »

I have been using the Aspartate form of Magnesium almost every night for the past 15 years, even thru my W/D and I never got side effects from it. It always helped me get better Deep and REM sleep. It's not really something the body can build tolerance for, since it's just a mineral.

If you guys are afraid of the Glycinate form, you can try the Aspartate form (I used a supplement called ZMA - Zinc Magnesium Aspartates), or you can try the Threonate version (I've never tried this one though)

I appreciate the reply. This has worked decently for the last week or so but the last couple nights have been rough again for sleep. I only took 700 mg of mag gly yesterday instead of the 1050 mg i had been taking and I was up all night pretty much. So Im just gonna have to see if this works everynight or if it stops having an effect on my sleep after using it for a while.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 03:02:31 pm »
Magnesium Malate works pretty well too...

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 05:19:05 pm »
Magnesium Malate works pretty well too...

Itís better for energy though, because malic acid is supposed to do that