Please Help. Can't eat.

[Th...]

I gag when I eat food. Im at a dangerously low weight. I can't have sugar, can food,  or things like ensure. Please help me. My doctors have not been trying to help me. How do I get food down? God please help me.

Hi Stitch, have you tried smoothies or anything like that? Maybe even processing food with something, just to get it down? Also, I know in a post before you were talking about not being able to go to the bathroom. Is that part of things back to normal?

Stitch, I bought those protein drink mixes in the cans at a health food store that you can mix with milk and I drank those all those weeks I couldn't eat.

I tried ensure and boost. It hurt my symptoms. I am pooping. I am just so scared. I have tried smoothies. They help but I still cant get enough.

Can you eat oatmeal? Yogurt? Pudding? applesauce?

Squeezie protein and fruit pouches? Cream of wheat? Chicken noodle soup? Scrambled eggs? Plain thin sliced lunch meat?

As you can tell.... I ate all of these. I wasn't just gagging, I was actually dry heaving majority of the time and sometimes straight up vomiting!

One weird way to keep the nausea at a lower level is to actually try and eat much more often. I literally ate every 2 hours like a baby or something. Keeping food in your stomach sometimes help keep it from feeling as nauseous. And it didn't hurt me at all to eat constantly because I could only eat such small amounts that by the end of the day ( or many times through the night) I would finally have at least some nutrition in there!

I think you’d have to talk with your doctor about the feeding tube and ask. They might be able to put something temporary in. I lost quite a bit of weight as well, but I know that eating frequently through the day can be helpful to some. I was going to try this one product called Huel, to see if I could stomach that. It seems to have a bunch of essential vitamins and natural foods in it. I think it’s also vegan too, if that helps. Have you tried making a smoothie with oats and veggies in them? Just trying to think of everything possible.

Thank you. I have tried a a smoothie of anything i could manage. My body doesn't want to accept more than 800 calories a day. I'm not sure what to do

After I eat about 500 calories I start gaging the food. The gaging won't calm down for hours. I wish I knew the reason. I try to eat fast before my body knows whats happening. It may be in fact that smoothies are my best bet.

Zofran is good for nausea and vomiting. Ask your doc.  I took a lot of zofran when I felt sick on my taper.

Also, indica mj (not sativa, and not CBD) is GREAT for giving you the munchies. It really turned my situation around. I had lost 40 lbs and was living on smoothies, but once I discovered indica and started vaping it, things turned around. Ask your local dispensary for recommendations.

Hope this info helps,

Katz

I tried zofran with out success. But the indica may help. I don't know if it is available where I live but I will look into it thank you.

Zofran is good for nausea and vomiting. Ask your doc.  I took a lot of zofran when I felt sick on my taper.

Also, indica mj (not sativa, and not CBD) is GREAT for giving you the munchies. It really turned my situation around. I had lost 40 lbs and was living on smoothies, but once I discovered indica and started vaping it, things turned around. Ask your local dispensary for recommendations.

Hope this info helps,

Katz

I second this. My s/o smokes MJ like it’s going out of style and when I was reading this thread he said out loud to me, “tell them to smoke so MJ. Seriously.”

Hope this info helps,

Katz

I second this. My s/o smokes MJ like it’s going out of style and when I was reading this thread he said out loud to me, “tell them to smoke so MJ. Seriously.”

I smiled when I read this post. Thank your s/o for me.

After I eat about 500 calories I start gaging the food. The gaging won't calm down for hours. I wish I knew the reason. I try to eat fast before my body knows whats happening. It may be in fact that smoothies are my best bet.

Sort of a weird question here and I apologize if this sounds dumb to you, or is totally off base, but…

Do you notice when you eat, that you’re gagging from repetitive textures and/or flavors? Again, weird, I know. Something I have had an issue with in the past (before Benzos), was repetitive textures and flavors making me gag. If I ate too many eggs, or bananas, or anything that was mushy or had a flavor that started to get “gross” to me, I’d gag. I was going to see if maybe it would help to make sure you aren’t just eating one item at a time, but maybe try making a little plate up with multiple things on it.

Please everyone remember before you suggest herbs or other alternative supplement that everyone reacts very differently to them. I am only saying this because I’ve seen so many people have setbacks from something that others had suggested but it ended up not working for the person. We are all so desperate for relief that we might do something that causes problems in the long run. Saying this as a person who had a bad setback.

I have had this few times during my recovery. First in my acute it lasted for few months, I ate smoothies, soups, fruit when ever I could. It then started to even out. In this current wave it lasted for few weeks and again, I ate smoothies, puréed soup, fruit, baby foods (berries and fruits). I have lost a lot of weight but I am trying to listen to my body and not freak out. There has to be a reason for the almost like fasting state. I don’t know what, but because so many have experienced it and it has gone away, I try to not worry too much about it. If it goes on for a long time then it might be good to get your labs checked out. Make sure you get enough liquids at least so there’s no dehydration.

Eating small bites often can be helpful. Avocados, nuts and seeds have a lot of good fats in them.

Hi Katz I was going to try indica in fact I bought it but my psych says it hits the same receptors as benzos, did you use it during your taper or after?

Your psych is wrong. As far as I've been able discover, cannabinoids hit the endocannabinoid receptors . . . benzos hit the gaba receptors. But then most docs know diddly about mj. He probably knows he  doesn't know and just doesn't want you messing with the great unknown on his watch. Or he's wedded to his persona as mister-knows-all. He COULD know -- there is quite a lot of credible info available now, but the lack of curiosity of docs (and their arrogance) has long ago ceased to amaze me.

To answer your question, I began vaping indica during my taper. It helped a lot with pain and also helped me eat. I've continued  its use, and investigated and added CBD. I'm in search of the ideal bedtime cocktail. (If I'd known more about CBD during my taper I would have used it for anxiety as it does lower bp.)

Of course I'm not advocating this for anyone, just recounting my experiences.  ::)

Katz

Honestly I don’t know. I went thru a phase of everything I ate just went straight thru me. Constantly running to the bathroom. Awful x

I force fed or my family would sit and watch me eat. Lots of mash potatoes x

How long did that last for you Beck?

I think I was on a protein liquid diet for about a month.  I lost 50 lbs. when I first got off the poisons.