Your first Benzo prescription

[Mr...]

I'm interested to hear about the first time you remember being given your benzo prescription. I have been thinking about how wrong it was at the time (on the GP's part) to give me a prescription for Diazepam on the exact day my dad died. I had literally found out that he had passed away less than 2 hrs before my doctor's appointment. That was 2002...here I am 20 years later😟

• 3 weeks later...
It was on May 17, 2021 by my GP/PCP. I asked for something to help with panic attacks after having my first two ever following a traumatic event. I thought there was no problem taking a benzodiazepine if you really needed it. Have plenty of people around me who take them PRN. Unfortunately, I felt like I needed it every day.

I got a prescription for Xanax in 2009 and thought it was a magic bullet and that I could take it for the rest of my life since it made me feel so good and helped me sleep.  Boy, was I ever wrong when I went into tolerance w/d and had a seizure at work, and then when I got off them, all hell broke loose.