Almost fell off my couch when I read this!

[De...]

I am diving deep into why I may be gluten sensitive during this recovery, and came upon this citation:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3178869/

Occurrence of pharmacologically active benzodiazepines in trace amounts in wheat and potato.

Abstract

Aqueous acid extracts of wheat grains and of potato tuber were found to contain a series of compounds displaying a high affinity to the central type benzodiazepine receptor (BZR) in mammalian brain. Further analysis using different HPLC systems, as well as mass spectrometry and gas chromatography combined with mass spectrometry lead to the identification of compounds belonging to the classical 5-phenyl-1,4-benzodiazepinones. In wheat grains diazepam, N-desmethyldiazepam, delorazepam, deschloro-diazepam, delormetazepam, lormetazepam and isodiazepam were identified, while potato tuber contained diazepam, N-desmethyldiazepam, delorazepam, lorazepam and delormetazepam. The concentration of the benzodiazepines (BZ) was in the low ppb range. Their biosynthesis most probably takes place in the plant tissue. The availability of BZs in plant nutritives points to a possible source for the previously reported presence of BZ in brain and peripheral tissues of several animal species and man.

Could this possibly be the reason why I feel like crap eating alot of pasta and bread?

Hey Shayna - that's interesting!  So you felt you may be at a heightened risk and voluntarily decided to cut back on wheat products?  Do you notice a difference when you do consume products with gluten?

Have you ever been tested?

I actually read a book after my first baby I’d heard about on tv and thought that sounds like me. I had bloating and stuff for years by that point. So I went gluten free for that reason. It made me feel better straight away. I got tested a couple of years ago during a colonoscopy and I’m not celiac. Probably just sensitive. So when my dad was diagnosed at 63 (well done drs) I had a lot of experience with what the best foods were and could help him. 20 years ago when I started there wasn’t much and it wasn’t good. Now there’s heaps, and it’s much tastier.

I had very bad gi symptoms but it’s mostly better now. I’m about 70 percent gluten free. I stick to it most of the time

I actually read a book after my first baby I’d heard about on tv and thought that sounds like me. I had bloating and stuff for years by that point. So I went gluten free for that reason. It made me feel better straight away. I got tested a couple of years ago during a colonoscopy and I’m not celiac. Probably just sensitive. So when my dad was diagnosed at 63 (well done drs) I had a lot of experience with what the best foods were and could help him. 20 years ago when I started there wasn’t much and it wasn’t good. Now there’s heaps, and it’s much tastier.

I had very bad gi symptoms but it’s mostly better now. I’m about 70 percent gluten free. I stick to it most of the time

Thanks for this Shay - yes I think I'm sensitive.  No one in my family had any GI issues per se but who knows for sure.  I'm thinking of getting genetic testing to see if I have a risk factor for Celiac.  Nonetheless I feel incredibly better when I abstain.  There are food sensitivity tests now that use IgG testing - but the immunologists say it is not reliable.  I'm reading some books now that implicate wheat in so many maladies.  I'm hoping it's temporary for me - maybe my microbiome is compromised from the "Withdrawal Trauma" and it will get better.  We shall see.

Yeah I just have bits and pieces of gluten foods, but I was strict for maybe 16 years? Now I’m not a strict.

Really we should in a perfect world not eat anything processed but ain’t nobody got time fo that  :thumbsup:

I am diving deep into why I may be gluten sensitive during this recovery, and came upon this citation:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3178869/

Occurrence of pharmacologically active benzodiazepines in trace amounts in wheat and potato.

Abstract

Aqueous acid extracts of wheat grains and of potato tuber were found to contain a series of compounds displaying a high affinity to the central type benzodiazepine receptor (BZR) in mammalian brain. Further analysis using different HPLC systems, as well as mass spectrometry and gas chromatography combined with mass spectrometry lead to the identification of compounds belonging to the classical 5-phenyl-1,4-benzodiazepinones. In wheat grains diazepam, N-desmethyldiazepam, delorazepam, deschloro-diazepam, delormetazepam, lormetazepam and isodiazepam were identified, while potato tuber contained diazepam, N-desmethyldiazepam, delorazepam, lorazepam and delormetazepam. The concentration of the benzodiazepines (BZ) was in the low ppb range. Their biosynthesis most probably takes place in the plant tissue. The availability of BZs in plant nutritives points to a possible source for the previously reported presence of BZ in brain and peripheral tissues of several animal species and man.

Could this possibly be the reason why I feel like crap eating alot of pasta and bread?

Unless you have a positive result for Celiac Disease from a blood test your probably fine with bread and pasta.  After 40 years of sitting back and analyzing all the hysteria over wheat I found it to be more of a CULT than anything based in science.  Remember "GLUTEN FREE" is now a 600 Billion dollar per year industry lining way too many pockets.  If "Gluten" was a 'person' it would have its own religion by now.

Try cutting the portion of pasta and bread you eat in half and you may feel better.  For some reason when pasta and bread are consumed its in EXTRA large portions, that's probably why you feel sick.  Ever study an advertisement for Spaghetti?  There is a method to the madness of showing 4 pounds of wet/hot pasta on a plate as a normal portion size $$$$

Yes I agree it is definitely dose related.  If I have some small portion once a day I would be fine I think.  It's just that completely abstaining I feel almost (dare I say) -- GOOD.  I am going to minimize my intake, and find the sweet spot (Pun intended)...