Matt Samet 15 years later

[It...]

So I happened to come across a podcast that Matt Samet was interviewed on within the last several weeks and he happened to touch on his health and his history with meds. First I was shocked to hear that his setback that happened at the 7 year mark lasted almost 2 years and then he mentioned that he still often has bad days where he is symptomatic.

No real point to this post, I guess I'm just kind of shocked.

If it's the same climbing/training podcast, I listened as well and was also slightly taken aback.  However, it was an encouraging listen given how badly Samet suffered those early years and with his setback.  I appreciated that he noted just how functioning he really is (I mean he's climbing the same grade as 20 years ago!).  He doesn't seem to let the withdrawal harm get him down; it's more of a realist attitude of acceptance and moving forward which is likewise inspiring. 

If it's the same climbing/training podcast, I listened as well and was also slightly taken aback.  However, it was an encouraging listen given how badly Samet suffered those early years and with his setback.  I appreciated that he noted just how functioning he really is (I mean he's climbing the same grade as 20 years ago!).  He doesn't seem to let the withdrawal harm get him down; it's more of a realist attitude of acceptance and moving forward which is likewise inspiring.

Yes!! That's the exact podcast! I was very surprised as well but you make an incredible point - he hasn't let any of the damage hinder his life, which is very encouraging and a great way to look at the hand that were dealt. Thanks for pointing that out!  :smitten:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Setbacks do seem to happen at 7/8 years for some. Happened to me around this time off, lasted a long time. Chronic stress can trigger them, this is what happened to me. But they can also occur ‘out of the blue’. Our nervous systems can remain sensitive for a long time.