How to taper from Xanax Xr?

[Ty...]

I am currently on 1mg of Xanax Xr once a day and have been for the last 10 plus years do to anxiety. I feel the xanax doesnt do a thing anymore and I do not want to go up from here as I have been on a steady dose for so long. Xanax just seems like a security blanket for my anxiety but in the end I don't feel its doing the job. I am looking to taper off either using the Ashton taper. Are there any methods people have tried and had any success with?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an update on my Xanax XR Taper!

I found this amazing Psychiatrist far away from me (he does Telehealth) and is willing to help me taper off Xanax XR slowly with his suggestions, but is very open to holding a taper if it's to fast for me that particular week.  He is crossing me over to Valium first and then tapering 1mg every 2 weeks from there.  He is starting with the evening does of Xanax XR first.  With his calculations, this whole process of tapering from 1.5mg of Xanax XR by switching to Valium will take 60 weeks.  Again, he is very compassionate and open to it taking longer if that's what I am needing.  He said some weeks will be harder and we made need to hold for 4 weeks instead of 2 weeks.  He was extremely knowledgeable about this process and I can't believe I have found him!!  I am so excited I found him as I have been trying to get off this evil drug for so long!  He said my brain needs time to heal in between tapers and tapering fast in his opinion doesn't allow for this healing to take place. 

So the plan for now is to switch over the evening dose of Xanax XR .5mg to Valium 10mg and hold here for at least 2 weeks.

So .5 Xanax XR will be switched to 10mg Valium (hold for at least 2 weeks)

9 mg Valium (2 weeks)

8mg Valium (2 weeks)

7mg Valium (2 weeks)

you get the idea....holding longer if needed

He is leaving the Xanax XR 1mg dose in the morning alone for now.  That taper will start once this evening taper is complete.

I am switching over to Valium tonight!  Nervous, because last time I tried this, It went very badly.  However, I had a horrible psychiatrist who didn't cross me over properly and the Xanax was just taken away completely and the Valium added.  It amazes me how many Doctors have no clue!  They can get you on, but can't get you off! 

My new Psychiatrist also said to add 5 HTP 200mg daily and Magnesium (powered Calm brand).  Of course this is not going to be a magical cure, but it may help with a few withdrawal symptoms he said. 

Congratulations on finding a great doctor, wow!  You sound super positive about this, I'm feeling it too. 

I'm glad he's going to leave your morning dose in place, you don't want to withdraw all of the Xanax before the Valium has had a chance to build up in your system.

Keep us posted okay, you may be asked who this doctor is because as you know they're really hard to find.  :thumbsup:

Thank you so much!!  I am super excited and positive about it!!!  I have been waiting so long to get off this evil drug!  I am going to be successful this time!!

Thank you so much to you and this amazing group of people!!

• 2 months later...

Hi Cooper!

I absolutely love the schedule you have and it’s really the first one I’ve seen posted for XR! I’ve been on 1mg XR for 5 years now and I feel like that schedule seems more than doable! Definitely curious to follow your progress and when I see my Dr Thursday I’m going to present this schedule to him.

I have an update on my Xanax XR Taper!

I found this amazing Psychiatrist far away from me (he does Telehealth) and is willing to help me taper off Xanax XR slowly with his suggestions, but is very open to holding a taper if it's to fast for me that particular week.  He is crossing me over to Valium first and then tapering 1mg every 2 weeks from there.  He is starting with the evening does of Xanax XR first.  With his calculations, this whole process of tapering from 1.5mg of Xanax XR by switching to Valium will take 60 weeks.  Again, he is very compassionate and open to it taking longer if that's what I am needing.  He said some weeks will be harder and we made need to hold for 4 weeks instead of 2 weeks.  He was extremely knowledgeable about this process and I can't believe I have found him!!  I am so excited I found him as I have been trying to get off this evil drug for so long!  He said my brain needs time to heal in between tapers and tapering fast in his opinion doesn't allow for this healing to take place. 

So the plan for now is to switch over the evening dose of Xanax XR .5mg to Valium 10mg and hold here for at least 2 weeks.

So .5 Xanax XR will be switched to 10mg Valium (hold for at least 2 weeks)

9 mg Valium (2 weeks)

8mg Valium (2 weeks)

7mg Valium (2 weeks)

you get the idea....holding longer if needed

He is leaving the Xanax XR 1mg dose in the morning alone for now.  That taper will start once this evening taper is complete.

I am switching over to Valium tonight!  Nervous, because last time I tried this, It went very badly.  However, I had a horrible psychiatrist who didn't cross me over properly and the Xanax was just taken away completely and the Valium added.  It amazes me how many Doctors have no clue!  They can get you on, but can't get you off!

SailorPromise, Wonderful!  XR seems to be a bit rare?  I had to hold a bit longer at 7mg Valium due to some brain fog and a big event I had to plan, but am back on track now! 

Can't wait to see your new taper plan if you decide to taper!