Tapering

[Mo...]

Thank you. Could I just directly shave small amounts off daily or ever other day and weigh the pill each time to make a reduction in grams.

Of course, but consistency is important so reducing every other day might not be ideal. 

Are you still at 2.5 mgs Klonopin, what size are your pills, if they're too large, can you ask your doctor for a smaller size?  Dry cutting is the easiest when we have the smaller pills, that way you can avoid doing the extra work of shaving until your dose gets lower.

Yes I am on 2.5 mg in .5 mg tablets. I think that’s the smallest I can get. I was thinking of takink .003 off a day to equal close to 10% in a month. Should I do one amount per week or something like that. Sorry benzo brain.

Hi Mountain Man,

I can help you with dry reductions.  There are many ways to do it.

To make your life easier, I find it is BEST to only use a scale when you are very low in dose (near the end of your taper).  Scales are a hassle and when you are on a large dose, you do not need a scale.

Here is the non-scale method.

Buy a quality pill splitter or use a razor blade.  Take one of your 0.5mg pills and cut into 8 parts (cut in half, and then in quarters, and then in 8ths).

DO NOT WORRY about it crumbling or being uneven parts.  Just eyeball to get 8 piles from your pill.  You can put the piles into empty gel capsules.  See this link:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PYV3L6K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

So now you have one of your 0.5 mg pills separated into 8 gel capsules.  Again, do not worry about being exact.  Benzos stay in the blood a long time and with your large dose (2.5mg), in my opinion, it isn't worth the effect of trying to be perfect.  Do not stress out about it.  The anxiety you create worrying about being exact will cause more symptoms than the taper.

So now it is easy to reduce. 

Each reduction is 1/8 of one of you pills.  Do this and hold for 2 weeks or until your symptoms are stable, whichever is longer.

When you get very low in your total daily dose (like 0.3mg), then we can talk about buying a scale.

I am having pretty intrusive thoughts and was put on trazadone for sleep. I don’t think it’s very good for long term but I cut to fast and am having pretty bad depression. Hopefully I will plain out and will be able to reduce again. Should I get off the trazadone.

Trazadone is very safe and the only problem I had with it is it stops working after a few years.  So enjoy using it while it still works for you and it will help you with your taper.

If your depression is not clinical then for your depression try to get some sunlight and take vitamin D and each day try to  have one thing you want to accomplish and then accomplish it and enjoy the satisfaction which will come naturally. 

Hi All -

Mountain Man - I hope the next step of your taper goes smoothly!

Bob7 -

I am also starting on a dry taper on Monday from 4mg V. I can start with quartering my 2mg pills, but shortly after will have to do eighths. As I (hopefully!) get lower, I may also need some assistance. I did just buy the scale recommended on the link to your site. I'm a word person and the math is a bit confusing to me, so if anyone can help with that, I'd be so appreciative. I'm at 4mg V. Here's what I think will work till I get to 2.5mg using 10% taper method. Can you let me know if these cuts are right? And then, after that, maybe I will need to either make the pills or get the drug compounded by the pharmacy ...

4mg

3.5mg (tiny bit over 10% but will be easier to measure)

3.25mg (bit less than 10%)

3mg (bit less than 10%)

2.75mg (bit less than 10%)

2.5mg (10%)

And if I split pills into eighths, do I need capsules? Or can I just take the little chunks?

Hi All -

Mountain Man - I hope the next step of your taper goes smoothly!

Bob7 -

I am also starting on a dry taper on Monday from 4mg V. I can start with quartering my 2mg pills, but shortly after will have to do eighths. As I (hopefully!) get lower, I may also need some assistance. I did just buy the scale recommended on the link to your site. I'm a word person and the math is a bit confusing to me, so if anyone can help with that, I'd be so appreciative. I'm at 4mg V. Here's what I think will work till I get to 2.5mg using 10% taper method. Can you let me know if these cuts are right? And then, after that, maybe I will need to either make the pills or get the drug compounded by the pharmacy ...

4mg

3.5mg (tiny bit over 10% but will be easier to measure)

3.25mg (bit less than 10%)

3mg (bit less than 10%)

2.75mg (bit less than 10%)

2.5mg (10%)

And if I split pills into eighths, do I need capsules? Or can I just take the little chunks?

Hi openroad, if you'll post your question to Bob7 on a titration thread of your own it will help keep the two threads member specific which will be easier for everyone to follow.  ;)  I'm glad you asked him for help, he's actually loves the math.  :laugh:http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=164.0http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=164.0

Openroad,

I

like your plan.. I think you need to experiment with doing the 1/8 bits and see how crumbly they are. I was able to do it without the capsules but some people are worried about getting every crumb.

Another good reason for using the capsules is you can make a bunch of 1/8 doses and store in a nice bottle for traveling.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Thanks Bob 7 the information has been very helpful. I didn’t know what to do. I try to move to fast and that doesn’t work with benzos and I didn’t want to have another pill (trazadone) get me in worse shape.

Good luck openroad