Going cold turkey

[Do...]

I told the doctor I wanted to quit the pills today and he said to reduce once a week for three weeks and then quit.

I am just going to go cold turkey because I know if I get some pills I will take too many.

I have anxiety and insomnia.  I am having family problems with my brother.

Good for you Dom81, I feel you've made the right decision, you're finally going to get your life back just like I did!  How many days has it been since you've taken a pill, about 4?

Thanks. This is day 5 and I can't sleep.  I forgot to ask the doctor for some medicine for anxiety, but I don't think he would give me any.  I took 2 over the counter pills, but they are not working

5 days, that's great and your doctor may have given you something for the anxiety but nothing can make it go away except for another benzo so you did the right thing by not asking for it.

Your body will find a way to get sleep to survive, it may not be what you hope for but it will be enough to get you through this.  Take a look at this post, it will help you make it through this. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=235100.0

So something that might work for some people (didn’t work for me), is Hydroxizine? The doctor prescribed me that for anxiety, as well as to help me sleep. The only issue for me was that it made me feel like my breathing was too shallow. It’s just an antihistamine, but I know it does work for some people, but I don’t know much more about it.

I hope you’re able to get some kind of relief, Dom! I went c/t and didn’t really have any sort of relief, but the pain and fear I experienced was luckily enough to turn me off of Benzos forever. I didn’t even think once about reinstating because it was something I never wanted to experience again. I’d sooner walk through fire with bare feet than to experience those first two weeks, especially. You’ll get through this. Time heals everything.

Aria,i use hydroxizine too,i feel the same,the breathing problem,and the numbness.

Edit: Policy

It’s weird, right? I don’t like the feeling of being sedated. It gave me worsening insomnia because all I kept thinking was that I’d stop breathing in my sleep.

hydroxizine never did anything for me as far as anxiety and sleep go. (FYI)

Congrats Dom, I also think you made the right decision. Please update regularly. You can do this friend. I know things might get really rough for you but we are here to support you.  :)

that was my problem too aria. i think only the time will heal this crap. never ever take benzo! forget it! i rather have 100000000 panic attacks or anxiety attacks,but this is terrible. this is pure hell. and im 3 weeks out. every day just a little improvement.

Mine didn’t feel like any improvement for like those first two months. The symptoms just seemed to get worse. Maybe not worse, but the symptoms kept changing or adding new ones to what I was already dealing with. It’s been torture. Feeling better now, but I struggle still with anxiety and hopelessness.

Hi Dom, how are you doing?

Hey PlatoonLeader, thanks for dropping in to support Dom81, you and MissAria understand all too well how it feels to quit cold turkey so I'm sure she appreciates your support.  :)

yes i do help them,i can only share my CT experiences,but thats hella sure i will never take it again. i'll get deployed to IRAQ 2022 september,so i need to get my life back. i am almost functional. but the restlessness is still here. restlessness last about 4weeks after ct i think,normally.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Just wanted to add that Hydroxizine did nothing for me except give me tachycardia. Amped my anxiety up to next level. Had to take a xanax just to calm myself from its effects.

Adding medicines to stop xanax does not work for me so far. I also went 17 days cold turkey in January and went to the ER just because the insomnia was getting to me and BP was slightly elevated.  I wish now that after everything checked out ok that night I had just come home and continued.

Oh well, now I am trying to taper but part of me also wants to go to a facility. I am praying for the Lord's discernment.

Hello,

Just wanted to add that Hydroxizine did nothing for me except give me tachycardia. Amped my anxiety up to next level. Had to take a xanax just to calm myself from its effects.

Adding medicines to stop xanax does not work for me so far. I also went 17 days cold turkey in January and went to the ER just because the insomnia was getting to me and BP was slightly elevated.  I wish now that after everything checked out ok that night I had just come home and continued.

Oh well, now I am trying to taper but part of me also wants to go to a facility. I am praying for the Lord's discernment.

Hydroxizine made my anxiety so much worse too. It made my breathing so shallow and that TERRIFIED me. I was hoping it would help me sleep, but no such luck.

• 1 month later...

Thank I have beem off restoril almost 4 months.  I sleep 6 to 8 hours a night.  I used to like going to sleep from the pills at 4pm.  Now I have to wake anywhere from 9pm to 240 am to sleep.  I have severe anxiety when I  not at my brother's.  I wake up stores once or twice a night.  I had to quit my job and now looking for another

It sounds like you're getting great sleep without the drugs, this is such good news.  It takes time to get our sleep rhythm fine-tuned but you're getting sleep and that's what's important. 

It also sounds like life is still happening as it does for all of us and learning how to deal with the ups and downs without drugs is a challenge.  Learning skills to handle what life dishes out will be so much better than relying on drugs that turn on you.