Insomnia !!

[Li...]

I am just sharing my experiences tapering for anyone having the same symptoms. I am very very slowly tapering off Diazepam ( I switched over from Loraz) . My first attempt at tapering was WAY too big a dose to cut down on ( recommended from my Dr) and I had a huge muscle cramp/spasm where I could hardly move, it was extremely painful, distressing and stressful.

I asked to go back up to my normal dose and start again later.

I have started again, this time my dose reduction is TINY. Like I take 5 mg 3 x day, and I am reducing by 1/16th of a tab I think it is - 1/2 of a quarter tablet. I cut the tab down to a rough 1/4 then dissolve this in 40 mls water and drink 20 mils.

The side effects are there but less severe.

I get stomach cramps/pains. I get muscle aches.

But the symptom that is driving me nuts - although I know it will end and it's going to be okay,  is the insomnia you get. Sleep deprivation is after all a type of torture!

It seems to last for a good 7 days.  It's tough, but I know it will end!

I am awake til 2am, 4am and once I was even wide awake ALL night til 6 am !!

I am extremely lucky that I do not have to go to work while doing this withdrawal (too sick with all sorts).

Just wanted to share if anyone goes through the same,

I have found out that my GP/DR does not not nec know how slow to wdl off this hard strong drug and I find mine doesn't really seem to have a clue about how really tough it is on your body to wdl from Benzo's, although she is very supportive.

I have to go much slower and cut down smaller even than is recommended by the Benzo lady Dr Expert whose name fails me at the mo.

But yes, she and this forum will have more helpful info than your family Dr who knows little of this experience. They are trained to detect life threatening illnesses not wean people off drugs.

Also with a whole lot of ups and downs with life in general and the initial set back, I am only just getting down to getting off 2.5mg's after about one year,  so I am thinking this may take a while, but I want to succeed, so with me that is SLOW SLOW SLOW.

I have been on Benzo's abt 10 years, so acc to the literature, this slow reduction is normal and necessary. These Benzo's are extremely powerful.

Kia Kaha  Stay Strong