SSRI use during detox- helpful or harmful?

[Hi...]

I have been tapering off klonopin 1mg - down to 0.25mg with some tough symptoms - muscle pain, twitches, pins/needles and now neck and throat tightness (the worst).

About a month ago my doc had started me on Trintillex 5 mg- this is a newer SSRI. I don’t feel it’s helped but hasn’t hurt? She wants me to go up to 10mg. Has anyone else going through tapering (on fast side) felt that having an SSRI on board helped?

Thanks

never ever take anything! forget the psych meds. try to survive. its hard to say,im still suffering too. severe insomnia,massive head ache/pressure. and about 80 symptoms.

It's a difficult one. I'd say most don't find they help and make things worse, but some find them helpful. Unfortunately there's no 1 size fits all here, everyone is so different and react differently. My personal experience is it made things worse.

never ever take anything! forget the psych meds. try to survive. its hard to say,im still suffering too. severe insomnia,massive head ache/pressure. and about 80 symptoms.

PlatoonLeader,

Please read our rules regarding prescriptive language, we don't tell others what they should, must or never do.  Rules and Guidelines

Please adopt a non-prescriptive writing style. Relating your experiences, stating options, or posting suggestions of what other members might do are all welcome. However, advising members of what they should or must do is against the ethos of the BenzoBuddies Community. Nor should you attempt to 'diagnose' medical problems or suggest medical treatments to other members. This policy also applies to members with medical qualifications. A more detailed explanation of this policy can be found in our Guidelines Regarding the Giving of Medical Advice document.

Pamster

sry pam my memory is fried its just like total shutdown. but i feel a little better day to day. its still pure torture. i feel less adrenaline. but the insomnia kills me.

Wrong. AD's can be helpful they worked magically for me.

SSRI's won't touch your w/d symptoms. speaking from own exp. here is what helped me;

25mg seroquel for insomnia (withdrew later with 0 problems)

3x600mg gabapentin (withdrew later - tapered, w/d lasted 1-2 weeks post jump - was doable)

25mg hydroxizine once i jumped seroquel (withdrew later, no issues)

a couple herbals

without those I would have not made it.

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong. AD's can be helpful they worked magically for me.

100% agree with Meagan,  1/16 of a pill of Escitalopram probably saved my life after a prednisone set back 

if you can stand other substances i would stick to nootropics to help, there are many that may be of Help, 

i wouldnt risk antidepressant, throwing antidepressant at somone while recovering from a benzo is not wise or a good idea, this dysregulation is more linked with gaba and glutamate, of course the whole brain is affected that includes the serotoninergic system, Honestly it makes me wonder what these doctors learn while graduating  ? it seems like they dont even know about brain chemistry ..

antidepressants are of help to selected.few people for others it may induce akhatisia ,setbacks or agravate anxiety, i wouldnt risk it ..IMO playing droug roullete while in wd isnt safe those are dangerous drugs and the cns is in a sensitized state

gabapetinoids may be of help because they act preventing too much exitatory signaling, gabamimetic properties still they are nasty/difficult to stop aswell , must to be tapered ..

if you can stand other substances i would stick to nootropics to help, there are many that may be of Help, 

i wouldnt risk antidepressant, throwing antidepressant at somone while recovering from a benzo is not wise or a good idea, this dysregulation is more linked with gaba and glutamate, of course the whole brain is affected that includes the serotoninergic system, Honestly it makes me wonder what these doctors learn while graduating  ? it seems like they dont even know about brain chemistry ..

antidepressants are of help to selected.few people for others it may induce akhatisia ,setbacks or agravate anxiety, i wouldnt risk it ..IMO playing droug roullete while in wd isnt safe those are dangerous drugs and the cns is in a sensitized state

gabapetinoids may be of help because they act preventing too much exitatory signaling, gabamimetic properties still they are nasty/difficult to stop aswell , must to be tapered ..

My heart rate was always over 100, I  was in constant panic doom mode, what I found is different generic brands of Escitalopram do very different things, for me, then TEVA version had zero activation and about an hour after taking even a sliver, 1/16 cut in half, I felt completely normal, on the other hand APO was activating as was MYLAN.

I told my family doctor a 1/32 of the pill was working he told me that wasn't possible. then he checked my heart rate that we were trying to lower with no success, on that 32nd of a pill, it was 65 and this was constant. 

think what you will Denis, but it saved me and it MIGHT save others

My heart rate was always over 100, I  was in constant panic doom mode, what I found is different generic brands of Escitalopram do very different things, for me, then TEVA version had zero activation and about an hour after taking even a sliver, 1/16 cut in half, I felt completely normal, on the other hand APO was activating as was MYLAN.

I told my family doctor a 1/32 of the pill was working he told me that wasn't possible. then he checked my heart rate that we were trying to lower with no success, on that 32nd of a pill, it was 65 and this was constant. 

How long did it take you to figure that out through trial and error?

I take a generic form of Zoloft. I started taking it after I was having a hard time tapering. It has really helped me a lot. My main thing is if it will continue to help me after I jump. I would like to know that as I will be jumping soon.

I took a very small dose of mirtazapine (2mg - pills are 15mg) - my W/D from diazepam were brutal and I was non functional. Mirt made me functional and enabled me to sleep. It gave me my life back. Took for 10 weeks. Now tapering off, probably over two or three months.  Now down to 0.75mg - been ok.

I took a very small dose of mirtazapine (2mg - pills are 15mg) - my W/D from diazepam were brutal and I was non functional. Mirt made me functional and enabled me to sleep. It gave me my life back. Took for 10 weeks. Now tapering off, probably over two or three months.  Now down to 0.75mg - been ok.

Mirt is the ultimate benzo chill pill imo

SSRI's won't touch your w/d symptoms. speaking from own exp. here is what helped me;

25mg seroquel for insomnia (withdrew later with 0 problems)

3x600mg gabapentin (withdrew later - tapered, w/d lasted 1-2 weeks post jump - was doable)

25mg hydroxizine once i jumped seroquel (withdrew later, no issues)

a couple herbals

without those I would have not made it.

Well done!!!

I was put on Zoloft 50mg the same day I was prescribed benzos.  My anxiety is episodic tied to a specific cause with long periods without it, but I do feel I've gotten some anti-anxiety mileage out of the SSRI.  How it is impacting my benzo taper I do not know.  I am glad I started it at the same time as the benzo as I would NOT like to throw it into the mix now.

antidepressants are of help to selected.few people for others it may induce akhatisia ,setbacks or agravate anxiety, i wouldnt risk it ..IMO playing droug roullete while in wd isnt safe those are dangerous drugs and the cns is in

What are nootropics? How do they help?

SSRIs won’t help benzo withdrawal  (medical literature + personal experience). If you need an AD for mental health, take it and work with doc to adjust dose up, down, or off.

How long did it take you to figure that out through trial and error?

sorry, I haven't on for a while, i could tell the difference within a week, the only reason I tried different generics is because I was having a lot of stomach issues, 

SSRIs won’t help benzo withdrawal  (medical literature + personal experience). If you need an AD for mental health, take it and work with doc to adjust dose up, down, or off.

"

this is again your experience and I completely disagree. I know others, personally,  that SSRI have got them through the hard times of PAWS and now they are off SSRIs as am I.

your blanket statements like "SSRIs won’t help benzo withdrawal" is helping no one, it helped plenty including myself and benzo buddies is here to give people hope, not to break them down just because in your case they did not work.

"

this is again your experience and I completely disagree. I know others, personally,  that SSRI have got them through the hard times of PAWS and now they are off SSRIs as am I.

your blanket statements like "SSRIs won’t help benzo withdrawal" is helping no one, it helped plenty including myself and benzo buddies is here to give people hope, not to break them down just because in your case they did not work.

Please reread my comment. It was not a blanket statement. It is based on medical evidence AND my experience. Feel free to PM me for a clinical discussion.

Cymbalta immensely helped me survive my detox. No Depersonalization, and it helped me function, even sleep. Didn't cure the brain fog though, that was a persistent bitch.