Xanax tapering, should I dose more often? Help? Paradoxical/interdose symptoms!

[09...]

I know we're discussing your stress levels on another thread but what jumped out to me in this post is you made two changes at the same time, a dose reduction of .50 mg and a dosing reduction from 4 to 3 times a day, why did you decide to do that?

Oh my, when I've watched other members adjust their dosing schedule they do it in very small steps, they'll gradually move the time they take it by very small increments so not to disrupt their body's schedule, I feel this could be what is contributing to your distress.  I think it's a good idea to resume your dosing schedule, too much change means more problems.

I've never really understood paradoxical reactions and I know they happen but I don't really think this is what's happening to you because you seem fine when taking your other doses.  Lets concentrate on getting your 4 doses back before we give up and say you're dealing with paradox, okay?

I have some input based on my experience.

Like you, I was on benzos for over a decade.

Also like you, my most difficult time was in the late evening. 

First, if Pamster says try to go back to 4 doses, then please try it and let us know if things get better.

If you are like me, then you are a victim of generalize anxiety and tapering off the medication is causing withdrawal for two reasons:

(1) Reducing 0.5 out of 3 mg is a large reduction (17%)

(2) You have what I call an anxiety feedback.  You already prone to anxiety, then you feel some additional anxiety from the taper, this creates symptoms and then you worry about the symptom and the worry brings more anxiety.

For item 1, try to hang in there.  It might take a few weeks to stabilize from such a large reduction but you will stabilize if you give it time.  When you get stable, try a smaller cut.  I like to see 5 to 10% reductions and then hold for at least two weeks or until the symptoms are tolerable, whichever is longer.

For item 2, I had some luck using youtube meditation to for reducing anxiety.  However, one time I went way too fast in my taper and got very sick from withdrawal and even had chest pains.  The doctor say, being in a high state of anxiety all the time causing racing heart and makes a person keep chest muscles tight.  By the end of the day, the symptoms are worse because your body is exhausted from fighting the anxiety.  My chest pains were an example.  The chest muscle hurt because anxiety made them tense all day and the muscles were tired.  My doctor gave me Buspar and in a few weeks, I was very much better and I was able to stop the Buspar with no problems and continue my taper.  You should ask you doctor about Buspar on Monday.

I love it when I see members find answers, the game of connecting the dots used to be fun but this game isn't fun, it's critical to making decisions but you're doing it and I feel you're headed in the right direction.  Be sure to write all of this down because I guarantee you're going to be faced with another challenge and having this information will help you work through it.

I don't know if you've visited these groups but you're not alone in noticing your monthly plays an unfortunate role in how you feel.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=109103.0

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=101977.0

• 4 weeks later...