Author Topic: Does the substitution phase from A to V need to be weekly or can it be longer  (Read 420 times)

[Buddie]

Hello everyone,
I have just started to substitute 4.5mg Ativan to 45mg Valium. In the Ashton Manual, you reduce .5mg Ativan and add 5mg Valium each week.
I have felt pretty good for the last few days. it has been a while since I have felt stable like this. I was wandering if it's important to stick to the weekly schedule during the substitution process or could it be extended to 2 weeks. 
Thanks for you any insight on this matter
Ativan 75
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Hi [...], I'm sorry its taken me so long to see your post.  You can absolutely determine your own crossover rate, this is your taper your way, there are many members who say a 2 week hold is better for them.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Thanks for the reply [...].
I am on phase 2. I am currently taking 3.5mg Ativan and 10mg Valium.
It's going well so far.
[...]

[Buddie]

Thanks for the reply [...].
I am on phase 2. I am currently taking 3.5mg Ativan and 10mg Valium.
It's going well so far.
[...]

Great progress [...]!

[Buddie]

I am currently on phase 3. 3mg Ativan and 15mg Valium. it's going well so far.
I take 1mg Ativan and 5mg Valium in the morning,
I 1mg Ativan and 5mg Valium in the afternoon. 
I take 1mg Ativan and 5 mg Valium before bed.
I might take 2 weeks on this phase.

[Buddie]

Thank you for posting updates, your crossover seems to be going well, are you paying attention to how you're feeling to determine how long you'll stay at each phase?

[Buddie]

unfortunately the valium taken during the day is making me tired and a little more depressed. I think I will need to move more of it at night. still unsure if will stay with the weekly change or slow to 2 week progression.

[Buddie]

The two major complaints about Valium are sedation and depression but I'm told these go away once your body gets used to it, so hang in there, you're doing great.

[Buddie]

I am a little nervous my next stage involves reducing my Ativan from 1mg to .5mg at night. In my mind, I always feel the Ativan helps me with sleep more than the valium does.

[Buddie]

How many times a day do you dose, can you reduce your morning dose instead?