Setting your circadian rhythm

[...]

Hello everyone. I just started my taper yesterday. I have had insomnia for months which is why I haven't wanted to try to quit benzos sooner. I have been reading about resetting your circadian rhythm and it has helped me. Boiled down, it's this.

1. figure out a time you want to go to bed and to rise. Stick to that schedule firmly. It doesn't matter the hour, only that you are consistent

2. Make sure you get true sunlight daily (as weather allows) dont wear sunglasses. Have your eyes open in the light as much as possible. When the sun rises I look directly at it. allow as much of your skin to absorb vitamin d by removing as much clothing as you can. Its in the 30's here today but at 1 pm at sun's highest and warmest Ill take my shirt off to get more surface area exposed.

3. In the evening, as the sun sets, begin to low light the interior of your home. Gradually turn off more lights as the evening progresses. there should be minimal lighting by the time you ready for bed. AVOID BLUE LIGHT. meaning, dont be watching TV, or be on computer or device after say 7-8 pm. I do believe reading, or sketching or doing anything that engages your brain is a better distraction from withdrawal symptoms than passively watching TV or doom-scrolling any social media which is POISON if your have an anxiety problem.

Im just starting my taper, but during my cold turkey attempt last year, these habits DID help. I hope they help you. Obviously you can google for more info on setting your circadian rhythm. I wish you all the best of luck in mastery over your challenges.

Hey BMC,

Unfortunately if you get hit with Benzo-induced insomnia, there isn't much that is going to help with that short of another Rx drug.  Sleep hygiene is not going to touch Benzo-induced insomnia. The only way out is through the process. The only healer is time.

Fortunately some people don't get severe Benzo-induced  insomnia and only have mild or moderate insomnia; in those cases sleep hygiene might help some?

Good luck!

I hear you, and understand I am just beginning this journey. BUT this is good for anybody at any time for any reason. Thanks for your reply and encouragement! BMC