SSRIs used to treat COVID

[An...]

I don't watch much TV anymore, but I am an avid podcast listener. I hear some doctors are using SSRIs (off-label), mostly Prozac, as a therapeutic for COVID-19. Yikes! :o I think I will pass. Can you imagine if they did a study that said benzos helped. Who would want to go there?

I agree. One thing that this whole experience has taught me is to take ownership of my health and make informed decisions. I am not saying I don't trust doctors or anything like that but I have learned the hard way that I cannot blindly trust where pharmaceuticals are concerned.

Now, every time I hear someone mention a Benzo, I pipe in and talk about the dangers of these drugs. A little off your topic...

I hear ya Holdingontohope and I agree. When I was still working, I used to tell all my co-workers (frequently) to try to never take benzos longterm or let their children take them. I would say to them look at what this stuff has done to me so avoid if you can and spare yourself a lifetime of suffering.

It is always best to be proactive and learn from the mistakes of others and avoid ever going through this in the 1st place.

I think they do include benzos as part of a Covid protocol, not to treat the virus to but to help people with the symptoms.  I wonder how many are long-term screwed up from it.

I think they do include benzos as part of a Covid protocol, not to treat the virus to but to help people with the symptoms.  I wonder how many are long-term screwed up from it.

I wonder how many of the 848,000 u.s. related covid deaths-to-date patients, including those on respirators, wish they had not been treated with benzodiazepines and other anesthesia medicines during their remaining days and hours? 

I wonder how many of the 848,000 u.s. related covid deaths-to-date patients, including those on respirators, wish they had not been treated with benzodiazepines and other anesthesia medicines during their remaining days and hours?

There is definitely a place for them if a person is dying.  But I know there are a lot of people who were treated outpatient and given benzos and now have to deal with the fallout.  Obviously not everyone has trouble with them.  But I know one BB who was put on them for Covid and she regrets it now.

Fluvoxamine (Luvox) has shown good anti-viral activity against covid-19. You only take it a handful of days early on in the infection.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34851510/

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/covid-antidepressant-fluvoxamine-drug-hospital-death

As much trouble as meds have caused me, if I were in a somewhat higher risk category and got covid, I wouldn't really hesitate to take luvox for a few days. Just my opinion. Every med has side effects as does getting covid. All you can do is decide which one is the higher risk given your circumstances.

I have been thinking about this. The SSRIs are probably ok to take short-term for COVID until you recover. After you recover, I would then stop taking them.