Anybody taper from Xanax XR? Is this possible?

[co...]

I take Xanax XR 1mg in the morning and Xanax XR .5mg in the evening and .25mg IR. I am slowly tapering the .25 IR and am confident I can be successful with that.  I have tapered off the evening 1mg XR a while ago to the .5mg XR with the .25 IR.

I just don't know how in the world to taper from the XR unless I switch to Valium.  I tried that once, my psychiatrist completely took me off Xanax and put me on valium and it was the worst experience ever.  My psychiatrist is not a bad person, but not informed, not supportive and not willing to help me.  He would just rather collect my money and prescribe pills because that's easier for him.  I am looking to switch, but haven't found anyone in my area.  He will basically prescribe whatever I ask him to (if it's a lower dose), so I am probably better off staying with him when I have a solid plan of what I need to do.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I agree the XR is problematic so switching to another benzo is a good idea, it's too bad your experience crossing over to Valium wasn't a good one, it was basically a cold turkey without giving the drug time to build up in your system, it's good he'll prescribe what you need though.  Are you thinking about going back and trying it again or would you rather switch to something like Clonazepam that has a decent half life?

What is your taper of the .25 IR, how slow are you going and how do you feel?

Pam's idea of a switch to clonazepam is a good one.  I tapered from 3mg day for many years to 0 on clonazepam.  I dosed three times a day until I got to around 1mg and then dosed twice a day; for the last 50 days I was at 0.5mg and I only dosed once a day.

I am not sure what to do.  I was thinking of just tapering the Xanax by switching to the IR and taking it multiple times a day.  If I switch to Clonazepam, that will have to be gradual as well.  My psychiatrist has no idea how to do that and I don't trust him. 

Right now, I am just tapering the .25mg IR slowly by using a razer blade to chop off pieces every week.  I am almost to 1/2 of the tablet.

If you're more comfortable continuing with Xanax and your doctor is willing to prescribe the IR then this sounds like a good plan.  Most members taper off of their original benzo because of the time it takes to cross but more importantly they don't want to get used to a new drug, kind of like the devil you know scenario.

How long are you holding between reductions?

Thank you, sounds like a good plan to me, the devil you know....so true.  A week right now just for the .25mg IR dose.  When I get in to tapering the 1mgXR dose, I plan on stay on the new dose for much longer to let my body adjust as It's been 17 long years!!  I am giving myself until 3/29/22 to be off the .25mg IR dose.  I know this is a lot of time, but my next appt is not until 3/29/22 and I want to take my time this go around because there will be no going back this time!!

This is my plan...

My next Appt. with my Psychiatrist is 3/29/2022, I only see him every 3 months via Telehealth since Covid.  He may change this when I approach him with the taper, but probably not.  He really doesn't care or ever ask me how I am doing, just asks me what I want...crazy right?

3/29/22- I will be tapered off the .25IR in the evening and now be Taking 1mg XR morning and .5mg XR evening. 

I will ask him for .5mg XR for morning and evening and .25 IR to use for tapering the morning dose.

3/30/22- My new dose will be .5mg XR morning + .25 IR and .5mg XR evening.  I plan to taper the .25IR once I get used to this dose over the next 3 months until my next appt.

6/29/2022- .5mgXR Morning and .5mg XR evening

6/30/2022- I will ask him for .5mgXR morning and .5mgIR evening.  Once I get used to the .5mg IR in the evening, I will slowly taper this down to .25mg IR in the evening over the next 3 months.

9/29/2022- .5mg XR morning and .25 IR evening.

I will ask him for the .5mg IR for the morning and .25mg IR for the evening.  I plan to stay here for 3 months as going from XR to IR is a big switch on the body.  I am determined to win this battle and get off of these meds from Hell for good.  It took 17 years to get here, I know I need to be patient and give my body time to adjust.

12/29/22- .5mg IR morning and .25 mg IR evening

I will ask him .5mg IR morning and .25 IR evening (same dose to slowly taper the morning dose over 3 months to get to .25 IR morning and .25 IR evening.

From here, I will figure it out and may need to start titrating using a liquid form.  My husband is a huge support system for me and is really good with measurements and science stuff!  We have been watching YouTube videos on how to do this. 

I know this is an extremely long taper, but one that I am determined to do and feel my body needs this much time to be successful.  After all, I have been in this benzo hell for 17 years, I can't just expect to get out of it quickly.  I want my life back!!  and I plan on getting it back while living the most normal life I can live. 

I really appreciate this group so much!!  I am so grateful to have found you all! 

What do you think?

I'm frantically googling trying to learn about XR and IR and can see you know a lot more than I do about these medications.  Just a clarification, do you plan to only taper those amounts every 3 months in one lump or is the 3 month timeline when you hope to have completed the reductions of smaller amounts?

Also, when you're only on the IR, do you think you'll need to dose more often?  I know many members on regular tablets will dose 4 times a day.  Additionally, would it be a better idea to get the smaller pills all at once so you don't have to go back to him for the prescription later on?  Of course since you see him every 3 months that might not be a problem.

I'm thrilled to hear your husband is not only savvy but supportive as well, this is key to the process.  :thumbsup:

Yes, I plan on going very slowly and only tapering those little amounts every 3 months when I see my psychiatrist. 

I have never really been on the IR during the day, so that's a good point and something that I may have to do.  Thank you for bringing that to my attention...makes me hate Xanax even more!  I see him every 3 months and he will literally prescribe anything! 

I was going to switch doctors, but like you mentioned...the devil you know situation...At least I know he will give me what I ask for.  I mean, I am asking for less and tapering, so he should be OK with it.  Let's hope so!  I seriously think he's on some benzos himself.  He's a nice man, but really clueless and not really willing to learn anything new.  He's old and I think just buying his time.  At least I have a reliable psychiatrist or legal drug dealer as I call him.  I should not be talking bad about him, but it bothers me that I trusted him and he has had me on Xanax for 17 years!!!!  Ugh!! 

But, getting my life back now!!

Thank you again!!!  I'm so grateful to have found this amazing group!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I have been taking Xanax ER 2 mgs 2 x per day for 20 years. I am 71 now and trying to decide if I should try to taper and take the risk of more suffering and anxiety than I now have. I am at tolerance level now and the drug no longer works. It can only get worse because , actually, I am in a slow state of withdrawal now. So, I am trying to weigh what to do. All I can say is that right now I have severe anxiety every day. I fear EITHER choice.

I have been taking Xanax ER 2 mgs 2 x per day for 20 years. I am 71 now and trying to decide if I should try to taper and take the risk of more suffering and anxiety than I now have. I am at tolerance level now and the drug no longer works. It can only get worse because , actually, I am in a slow state of withdrawal now. So, I am trying to weigh what to do. All I can say is that right now I have severe anxiety every day. I fear EITHER choice.

Hi jassmanfla, if you'd like help you can start a thread on the direct taper board, we understand what a difficult decision this is, no good options.  :(  Here is the link: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=56.0