Author Topic: First day back to work  (Read 853 times)

[Buddie]

Re: First day back to work
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 03:40:05 am »
[...]

I understand some of your work fears. I also have anxiety related to my job and some very irrational fears. I have been making some good progress with this. 6 months ago I freaked out because I had to attend an after hours function.  I just faked a migraine as I couldn't for the life of me do it. Then in December I had a similar function and I managed to get through it, even though I left early. Baby steps...

I want to make some suggestions that I hope could help you. Things I did to make it easier on myself when faced with work anxienty. For the drive to work I would have my favourite music ready and lined up in the car to play. I would only focus on the music and the lyrics and not let my mind think about the drive there or all the "what if's" that could happen.

I would create "reward times" for myself throughout the day. I have a specific tea that I love and I take my tea to work. So after 'surviving' the drive to work, I always reward myself with a nice cup of tea. Lunch time I would take my lunch and walk out to the park close by and watch the children play. In the afternoon, I would schedule a quick call with my husband or my kids. It can be anything that lifts your spirit and take your mind off work.

I also have a suggestion for the shaking. When you become anxious and you start shaking, the first thing that usually happens is you become extremely self-aware which makes things worse. Instead, how about playing it off with humor? If you see someone looking at your shakes, maybe you can put a big smile on your face, take one hand and gently slap the other hand while saying something like "hey behave now and sign that paper". If people see you don't take yourself too seriously, they tend to not make a big deal either, and it makes you feel less self aware. If someone asks you about your shaking, would you be comfortable to just say something like you have a medical condition and you are working with your doctor on it? Like [...] said, anxiety is nothing to be ashamed of, but I understand we are often in a position at work where we do not want others to know what we are experiencing is anxiety. I do think you'll feel much better if you are able to tell them you have some kind of condition instead of worrying about it all the time. 

It did help me to go back in "sessions" after Covid lockdown. I started with a couple of hours and then increased the hours. It was less daunting at the beginning as I knew I only had to get through 2-3hrs a day.

You can get through this! One day at a time, second by second.  Baby steps...  :smitten:
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 05:51:35 am »
Hi [...], thankyou for your reply. I wish you didn't know how I feel. It sounds as though you have been through allot. How are you now?
No...my co-workers are not aware of how I feel. I don't actually work directly with anyone however I'm surrounded by lots of people.I have not even worked there for very long. I don't know why I feel so embarrassed about being anxious, it is part of my disorder. Many years back I was diagnosed with social anxiety and general anxiety.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 05:57:11 am »
[...], apologies...it seems I have replied to you in my message above regarding coworkers. Thankyou to everyone for your replies. I don't have much time now because IM OFF TO WORK 😳

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 06:00:45 am »
You've got this!  :thumbsup:

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 06:08:44 am »
Congratulations on going back to work [...]  :thumbsup:
I hope you had a good day :hug: if not - there is always tomorrow  :hug:

As for "trying to get to sleep the night before" - I just tell myself "just lay here and rest" and try not to force the sleep part, maybe you could try that?

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 06:37:04 am »
Good luck [...]. Let us know how it goes. I know what you are feeling very well. You are gonna be a little anxious on your 1st day back but once you get there, things will settle down a little. In my 25 years working for the Company I talked about, I was out sick over the years on STD several times bf my final collapse but I was always able to return until the valium  completely stopped working in 2008 and I was unable to sleep. I would always be really nervous on my 1st day back. After that 1st day, things got easier and easier as I got back into the groove of things. Plus, since everyone there knew my medical history, it was easier to RTW in some ways after being out benzo sick.

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 01:16:12 pm »
Way to go [...], hoping your first day back went well.  :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2022, 08:25:02 pm »
Thankyou all so much for your replies and support 🥰
I did it! 😁😁😁
I was very anxious and my benzo withdrawal symptoms were giving me hell...but I still did it and I'm so pleased that I did. I'm sure I will feel anxious tomorrow too but I'm feeling determined. For the first time in 20 years I'm doing this without Diazepam. So happy ❤️

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 08:26:51 pm »
 :clap: :clap:  :clap: :clap: I have a hug smile on my face right now [...], you just made my day! :highfive: :highfive:

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2022, 08:59:15 pm »
 :highfive: :yippee:  That is wonderful! It's only going to get better from here!!