Author Topic: Withdrawal from (irregular dosage) Oxazepam (serax)/substitution - advice needed  (Read 1271 times)

[Buddie]

Quick update for anyone reading this now or in the future.

It's been quite tough the past couple months. I had developed an anxiety disorder (I guess this could be the case for lots of benzo users because of the anxiety withdrawal can put you through). At some point it was clear to me that my panic and anxiety attacks were not anymore just related to withdrawal.

I have been getting mental help by a great psych. She really helped me understand anxiety and realize that the thoughts and feelings that occur during anxiety are a normal reaction. She helped me so much with things like EMDR therapy, creating distance from my thoughts, tips on how to deal with panic attacks, etc. In the end what really helped me was accepting the situation, not fighting it. Not be afraid of it, just accept that it happens and let it come and go. This is much easier said then done and is a process, but I am now at a point where I feel like I am not controlled by fear and anxiety anymore. Instead, I am feeling more and more in control, even though I still have anxiety!

Now I am not this afraid anymore for the anxiety I feel like it's getting better as well. I can live my live, maybe with some bad days but I know I will recover and can actually enjoy life again. The past 3 or 4 weeks have been really good actually. Almost no anxiety. I am also daily micro tapering my Diazepam, I am now back to 0.5mg in the morning and 0.5mg in the evening so that's going well. The micro tapering helps a lot, I basically have no withdrawal anymore. Sometimes very mild, but it's nothing compared to when I was making weekly cuts (even if the cuts seemed so small).

I will post one more update once I am completely off the benzo's. For anyone reading this and dealing with anxiety or panic attacks during withdrawal/tapering, I guess a good therapist can really help and you can get out of it. It did for me and I have had some really dark days where I felt it only got worse and I would never get out of it! Of course I am not cheering yet, there is still some tapering to go, still some steps to take. But it feels so different now and I am sure I will be benzo free very soon. 
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

I'm so glad to hear you are doing well [...].  It is smart of you to further your toolbox to deal with anxiety and life as you taper off benzos.  When we have some ways to understand and deal with the problems that plague us like anxiety, they lost their power over us.

Thank you for the update!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Your post gave me a feeling of peace saan, thank you.  It was just what I needed to read this morning, I'm so impressed with you and how you're managing not only your taper but your life.   :thumbsup: