Author Topic: Withdrawal from (irregular dosage) Oxazepam (serax)/substitution - advice needed  (Read 1257 times)

[Buddie]

I have to admit the speed of your reductions scares me a bit for the same reason you're concerned about, the long half life of Diazepam.  Your short time use is definitely in your favor but what if you did some experimenting on the way down? 

What about making one reduction at 3 days then holding the next one to see if you notice any increase in symptoms that might be telling you to slow down?  The reason I say this is because members have written that sometimes multiple reductions can catch up to you down the line and its really tough to claw your way back from the barrage of symptoms.  For many this means going back up in dose or holding until the symptoms settle down.

I guess my suggestion is to be flexible and not be so determined to get off the drug quickly, use the drug to mitigate your symptoms because once you're off of it, you won't have this choice.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Hi @[...],

Thanks for your thoughts on this. You are right and I am going to slow down a bit, especially since I am now switched over to Diazepam completely.  I will now wait like a week or so and then continue the tapering but at half speed just to be sure.. Half speed is still a bit fast maybe but I think since how things are going right now this should work.

Btw, my main problem at the moment is sleep. I find it really hard to fall asleep or when I wake up I sometimes lay awake for hours. I know this is a withdrawal symptoms so I'm doing my best to stay calm and hang in there, hoping this will get better soon..

Thanks again, you're a good person helping so many people on this forum.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

I'm relieved you plan to slow things down a bit, I believe you're on the right track.

I'm sorry to hear about your sleep, its in short supply around here but one of our members has put together a great how to list, not necessarily a how to sleep list but how to accept not getting any.  ::)  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=235100.0

[Buddie]

Thanks! Some helpful info in there, although it's scaring me a bit as well reading people take months or years to recover.. Also reading that after the jump (even with tapering) you will get acute withdrawal scares me because I thought tapering was meant to prevent this. I know not everyone experienced this so I'm hoping it will work out without too many issues for me.

[Buddie]

Yes, for many our members tapering doesn't guarantee being symptom free once the drug has been removed and progress is slow but it happens.  And really, hope is a good thing because we just don't know who will get hit with a difficult recovery so keeping hope alive and having a positive attitude can be beneficial. 

[Buddie]

Ok! I am still doing Ok with the tapering. Almost 10 days since my first Diazepam cut and no sever w/d symptoms. Sleep is not too good most of the nigts but I also have a baby keeping me up which does not help at all. Close to making the jump, maybe 2 weeks or so. Currently cutting in steps of 0.5mg diazepam

[Buddie]

Its great to hear your symptoms aren't too severe, I'm sorry your sleep isn't good but I see your beautiful baby has a hand in that, I'm so glad you're able to take care of your child.

I don't know if I've mentioned it to you but from my observations of members who taper, those who have a fairly uneventful taper seem to be able to walk off the drug with ease, my fingers are crossed this will be true in your case.

[Buddie]

Hi,

Quick update. I jumped 5 days ago. Was on 0.5mg Diazepam the 5 days before. My tapering went really well, no severe symptoms. Doing better towards the end.

However, last nigh hell broke loose. Extreme anxiety, panick, did not sleep at all (zero). Today no sleep either. Still feeling very, very anxious. Having stomach issues, muscle trembling and much more.

How is this possible? My doc said 0.5mg is therapeutic and I should be just fine. The tapering went so well..! I don't get it. I am so so scared right now. I called my doc and he told me to take Diazepam again but I don't want it, I want off this drug.

What should I do? I can't handle these symptoms much longer. Should I sit this one out? Will it get better and how soon? Or should I take a low dose of Diazepam and try again later and maybe taper much much slower?

Any help would be so much appreciated, right now I don't know what to do.. Please help.. 

Edit: Content

« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 11:12:50 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

Congratulations on your benzo freedom but it sounds like you've officially entered the acute phase of recovery, I'm sorry I'd hoped you'd be spared.  I know its miserable but what you're feeling is normal, the Valium takes awhile to fully leave your body so its possible you'll feel a bit worse the next couple of days but given the fact that your taper was fairly mild I'm hoping your recovery will be as well, once you're past acute that is.  This thread helps members to know that this is a normal part of the process.  Four Phases of Withdrawal-Where Are You?

The drug made changes to how your brain functions and now that the drug is gone your brain is busy rewiring things and it hurts but if you can't take much more of this, we understand.  You can reinstate the .5 and hold until you stabilize then you can taper down to zero if need be but its likely you'll still be uncomfortable when you jump again.  Not very many can step off the drug with no pain.

[Buddie]

Hi @[...], thanks again for your helpful information as always. Please note that you are really helpful to me and so many people because I see you comment everywhere. Thanks for doing this.

In regards of the acute withdrawal. It's sad, but I had to go back to benzo's. I feel so miserable and like a complete failure. But it was either take benzo's again. It was so so bad last night, I tried to sit it out, but it was impossible. Also, at first I took 1 pill diazepam (2mg) but it didn't do anything at all. I took another 1 hour later. Nothing still. Then I also took 15mg oxazepam and finally it got a bit (just a tiny bit) more calm. I slept like 3 hours at last. So I am now back on like 8 or 10mg Diazepam which is a huuge setback. I know I can probably taper this down pretty fast without symptoms, but what after this..?

I think I have 3 options
  • Take antidepressiva. My doc recomments this. It could help benzo withdrawal and tapering, but of course it's still drugs and then I would still need to quit that at some point. My main concert here is also that some say AD will cause a spike in symptomps at first.. I cannot handle that.
  • Would liquid tapering be another option? And also, maybe taper in summertime (it's winter now here). The tapering went so well.. Was the 0.5mg jump too big? What if I taper the 0.5mg in like 2 months to zero. Will it help? Or will I still crash after the jump. Because this jump was as bad, if not worse as my first C/T attempt

I'm lost and I don't know what to do or how to get out this situation. I failed.

Edit: what if I would taper and then after the jump, take benzo again as soon as the first symptoms pop up? Then I get a good night sleep and I stay away from the benzo's untill new symptoms popup? Would this be possible? Is that done by people? And then hope for longer symptom free periods in between so I eventually don't need it anymore. The reason I am wondering if this would work is because if someone would take benzo's once or twice a week, it would give no problem according to my doc. Daily usage creates dependence. Just wondering if anyone ever tried this?

Edit: Content
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 04:01:36 pm by [Buddie] »