Does the medication amount matter?

[Mr...]

I have tried to explain to my doctor about all the symptoms I'm experiencing due to Benzodiazepine withdrawal. I was taking  Diazepam 6-10 mg per day (prescribed 6mg)

My doctor asked me if I was historically on a higher dosage. The doctor seems to think that I wouldn't still be experiencing withdrawal symptoms symptoms and I get told that I was on such a small dosage.

Does the mg dose matter? I'm so confused as to why there is barely any support out there and why GPs seem to not know so little about a medication that has been frequently handed out!

I think it's more length of use than dose, I don't have anything to support this, just my observations of forum membership. Professor Ashton briefly touched on the subject of low dose dependence. The Ashton Manual

Dependence. Benzodiazepines are potentially addictive drugs: psychological and physical dependence can develop within a few weeks or months of regular or repeated use. There are several overlapping types of benzodiazepine dependence.

Therapeutic dose dependence. People who have become dependent on therapeutic doses of benzodiazepines usually have several of the following characteristics.

They have taken benzodiazepines in prescribed "therapeutic" (usually low) doses for months or years.

They have gradually become to "need" benzodiazepines to carry out normal, day-to-day activities.

They have continued to take benzodiazepines although the original indication for prescription has disappeared.

They have difficulty in stopping the drug, or reducing dosage, because of withdrawal symptoms.

If on short-acting benzodiazepines (Table 1) they develop anxiety symptoms between doses, or get craving for the next dose.

They contact their doctor regularly to obtain repeat prescriptions.

They become anxious if the next prescription is not readily available; they may carry their tablets around with them and may take an extra dose before an anticipated stressful event or a night in a strange bed.

They may have increased the dosage since the original prescription.

They may have anxiety symptoms, panics, agoraphobia, insomnia, depression and increasing physical symptoms despite continuing to take benzodiazepines.

Hi Antibenzo7, thankyou. Yes I really feel that the length of time is more important rather than the mgs. I had been taking it since 2002!

I don't know why my GP is so focussed on the dosage.🙄

In my case both were minimal. 25 mg for two week.i have seen many cases like me but they healed in few months

It's all gentics ,i  think they do drugs testing on limited demograph